So your a mapper? Read this please.

Check out Death Warrant's Invasion Server
DW_Ant
DW Clan Member

Well I guess I don't completely understand how the whole legal system works. I just know that you can't sell it without buying some sort of expensive license.
The difference between successful people from others is
not in the lack of strength,
not in the lack of knowledge,
but rather in the lack of will.

FFE466

DW_StaticLan wrote:
DW_WailofSuicide wrote:No, Ant. Epic games doesn't own anything you make just because you use their tools/platform.

So you could use their tools/platform to create something and sell it for a profit on the open market?

You would probably be perfectly within your rights to create a map and tell people, "Pay Me $5 and I'll send you the download link for my map."
The problem is that you are basically unable to stop redistribution, and in fact playing online requires distribution of all resources except music files. The most you can do is hope people would abide by your decision to charge for your map, but at that point your "charging" becomes more "asking for donations."

However, Epic does not own your map. For example, the Deck17 map in UT2004 was not present in UT2003. The author of Deck17 actually worked on a version of the map for UT2003. At some point Epic saw the author's work and said, "We'd like to bring your level on board to be an official map for UT2004." So they came to an agreement. But Epic couldn't legally just take any community-made map and include it as part of an expansion and sell it, because they don't own that work. (Which is why you'll see in something like the Make Something Unreal Competitions that the authors of the work give certain rights to Epic to utilize content submitted to the MSUC.)

What Epic wouldn't want you to do is to create a standalone mod that didn't require the base UT game and try and distribute that. Epic makes money off of every sale of UT, obviously, so if you make super-cool-mod for UT then you're selling their game for them. If you try and make your game standalone then you need a license to sell it (however, you can distribute something for free that's totally independent of UT games.).

I am not a lawyer but this is just common sense observation (ie, writing a book in notepad doesn't make your book property of Microsoft) and examples of how this has worked in the past with Epic and content creators for their games.
Sokoro
Camper

DW_Wraith wrote:...and please, no more adding the eons grenade launcher to maps! Its too powerful, and just too noisy to have to listen through for 16 waves...

I am going to be going thru the maps and remove them when I come across them....
lies and unfinished promises :ssad: :scry:

seriously.. cant you at least modify it so it wont make extremly loud noises?

also mega adrenaline pickups should be united.. if they looks same they should respawn in same time and give same ammount of adren.. some maps use megaadrens with give you only 25 and some use megaadrens which give you over 300adren.. that is.. cheap.. i would recommend to set all megadrens to give.. lets say.. 50adren and respawn not faster than once per 30seconds.. of course in extreme cases like in DM-AbsoluteHell it is ok that it give only 1 adren because it is funny joke :ssmile:
I made an AM character just to be able to use electromagnet in safe spots with 500 adrenaline and rejuvation weapon +5
DW_Ant
DW Clan Member

Sokoro wrote:
DW_Wraith wrote:...and please, no more adding the eons grenade launcher to maps! Its too powerful, and just too noisy to have to listen through for 16 waves...

I am going to be going thru the maps and remove them when I come across them....
lies and unfinished promises :ssad: :scry:

seriously.. cant you at least modify it so it wont make extremly loud noises?

also mega adrenaline pickups should be united.. if they looks same they should respawn in same time and give same ammount of adren.. some maps use megaadrens with give you only 25 and some use megaadrens which give you over 300adren.. that is.. cheap.. i would recommend to set all megadrens to give.. lets say.. 50adren and respawn not faster than once per 30seconds.. of course in extreme cases like in DM-AbsoluteHell it is ok that it give only 1 adren because it is funny joke :ssmile:
Wraith's post is over two years old (2009-03-03). There were many maps that had that weapon. Now reduced to only a few maps. He didn't catch all of the maps before he unexpectedly went MIA.

We can't suddenly reduce the sound of that weapon since it'll cause a mess to edit the original (we'll have mismatches all over the web (redirect, clients, etc...) We can edit a copy of that weapon very easily, but then we'll still have to update all of the maps to update the weapons to the new version.

If the weapon is myleveled (saved to the map). Then we can edit the original, but then the updates will only apply only to that map.

This is the same story with the adrenaline pills. The adrenaline pills are myleveled. Therefore, we can edit them, but then changes will only apply to that one map.

My apologies if this disappoints you.
The difference between successful people from others is
not in the lack of strength,
not in the lack of knowledge,
but rather in the lack of will.

FFE466

if the weapon doesnt have bGameRelevant set to true then you might be able to make a new eons (copy) and use a mutator CheckRelevance hook to auto replace it everywhr at run time. even a non mutator game can do that by auto installing it's own mutator in the mutator chain. not sure fixing noise alone would do it though, as me thinks the weapon, though a lot of fun, is very over powered, so maybe toning that down would be gud 2 if you ever did make changes to it (not that i dont enjoy the total carnage :swink: )
Warning: Incoming Warhead!!
Wanted on 1000 planets for mass destruction of alien life forms!
DW_WailofSuicide
DW Clan Member

It'd be possible to run a mutator to replace it yeah. It's also MyLeveled in every level it appears in, so editing it is not really going to cause any issues.

The EONS INV version (the overpowered one) was pretty much designed to be a superweapon like the Steorra or Enhanced Redeemer. That certain people decided to put it as a generic pickup in easily accessible places is really the issue (though you could make a case for arguing - Why do people who know certain secrets get access to cool weapons other people don't?)
Sound-wise, the EONS GL just uses the shock combo sound. I'd be up for changing it out with a different sound, but I think that almost any sound that you hear 8x simultaneously when all the grenades detonate is going to sound pretty loud and obnoxious after awhile. Anyone have any suggested sounds?
DW_BrainPan
DW Clan Member

DW_WailofSuicide wrote:It'd be possible to run a mutator to replace it yeah. It's also MyLeveled in every level it appears in, so editing it is not really going to cause any issues.

The EONS INV version (the overpowered one) was pretty much designed to be a superweapon like the Steorra or Enhanced Redeemer. That certain people decided to put it as a generic pickup in easily accessible places is really the issue (though you could make a case for arguing - Why do people who know certain secrets get access to cool weapons other people don't?)
Sound-wise, the EONS GL just uses the shock combo sound. I'd be up for changing it out with a different sound, but I think that almost any sound that you hear 8x simultaneously when all the grenades detonate is going to sound pretty loud and obnoxious after awhile. Anyone have any suggested sounds?
meow
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world. Those who read binary, and everyone else.
4013 is only a FAD
And 2989? Well that's just BAD
Seven_of_69
1337 Haxor

Any sound is fine as long as the volume level is at least 150 dB for the user and silent for all other players.

And no more powerful than the stock assault rifle's grenades...
warhead2
1337 Haxor

omg multi screaming kittens that is epic :)
Warning: Incoming Warhead!!
Wanted on 1000 planets for mass destruction of alien life forms!