For people looking at new systems

Mapmaking? Modeling? Discuss all that stuff that's too complicated for most mere mortals here.
DW_Cheapshot
DW Clan Member

You should be able to set it for each program.
With a program running bring up task manager.
select processes,
find the item you want to play with,
right click on item,
you will see a choice of setting priority or affinity,
selecting this will bring up a small menu that you will understand,
each core will be listed with check boxes, default it both checked,
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. Emerson
Damnidge
1337 Haxor

sweet cheapshot! Thanks.

So, to avoid slow downs I can set my mp3 and video apps to core 1, and the normal stuff to core 0 and it should boost my speed, right?
Cheers, Damnidge
d2frob
1337 Haxor

Should...but don't know how much you'd really notice it. Perhaps ut on one core and others on a dif core might be noticeable.
DW_Cheapshot
DW Clan Member

You can test this by running your system the way you normally do.
Play a game for a bit with taskmanager running in the background.
Go to the performance tab and check. If a core is running at 100%
Splitting the load could help. If there not maxing out it wont help.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. Emerson
KillaDEATH
Camper

Damnidge your slow down is more than likely due to hard drive activity than it is CPU. Windows XP does a decent job of spreading the tasks among CPU cores. You really only want to assign core affinity when you have a process that doesn't like multi-cores. Harddrives on the other hand will cause a slow down when you are writing and reading more than one thing at a time. I have a couple of Core2Duos and a couple of AMD X2s that run UT without assigning core affinity.
Damnidge
1337 Haxor

Thanks for the info guys.

I only have a duo on my work laptop. I actually just played around with it, and set windows media player, itunes, windows live messenger, and a few other entertainment ones to the 2nd core. The rest I set to the first core.

I have already noticed an improvement. Before when i switched between my gradebook and the internet back and forth it could lag video, and rarely my music. Now, it doesn't happen at all.

Cheers
Cheers, Damnidge