Build a rig read this first.

Mapmaking? Modeling? Discuss all that stuff that's too complicated for most mere mortals here.
DW_Bomzin
Site Admin
Xfire: bomzin

We have alot of computer experts around here with alot of points of veiw . We have alot of people in a variety of differant price ranges getting ready to invest in a new computer .

Here is what I am proposing . I will start 3 new threads for build a rig . One for under a thousand . One for 1000-1500 ,1500 -2000 and the unlimited class , whats the best you can build with unlimited funds.

Include the new chip set that is about to come out , speculate on price if neccessary. build on other peoples ideas and make them better . Whatever lets see what we can come up with.

Keep general comments and discussion in this area and topic related things there in .

It's also been commented on that if you are getting ready to build you may be better holding off until after the release and see what the real specs are. I'm sure you could build now and be ready to go , but maybe a bit happier if you hold off.
DW_Bomzin
Site Admin

and bump
DW_BrainPan
DW Clan Member

MerSenary broke the 1000-1500 thread.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world. Those who read binary, and everyone else.
4013 is only a FAD
And 2989? Well that's just BAD
Desko
1337 Haxor

He literally broke it.
When submersed in a liquid, creatures with lungs are typically unable to breathe.
WHIPperSNAPper
1337 Haxor

My suggestion for folks is to hang out on computer enthusiasts discussion forums, such as Anandtech.com. It takes a couple weeks to learn the ropes and to learn about the different hardware options that are available. I also suggest reading many review articles about various hardware components (CPUs, motherboards, video cards). It's important to understand the hierarchy and classes of different types of CPUs and motherboards, etc., if you want to make wise purchases while getting value for your money.

It might be helpful to start by making a list of the components that people would need if they were starting from scratch and to assume that every build will be a "from scratch" build (excluding monitors, printers, and routers, etc.). Here is a list off the top of my head. Newbies might be surprised to learn just how much stuff is actually needed to build a gaming computer.

Computer Case -- buy a decent one
Case Fans (how many you need depends on the case.)
Case Fan Controller (optional)

Power Supply -- get a good one -- it's important.

Motherboard
CPU (processor)
RAM (memory)
Video card
CPU Heatsink-and-fan
Good Thermal paste for heatsink (may come with it)

DVD-RW drive
Multimedia card reader (5 1/4) (optional)
Keyboard
Optical Mouse

Operating System -- probably Windows XP or Vista.

I've probably left out an item or two, but that's a skeletal list. I suspect that people could actually get better deals by understanding the values of various hardware components and by looking for hot sale prices on retail computers, but of course, the upgradeability, performance, customizability, and overclocking ability wouldn't be as good. (Once you have your first computer skeleton, future upgrades might be as easy as replacing the motherboard, RAM, and CPU and possibly the operating system)

Where to Shop:

Forget local bricks-and-mortar stores because they are almost always overpriced compared to what you can get online and the selection won't be as good. My favorite stores to browse from:

Newegg.com
ZipZoomFly.com
TigerDirect.com
Ewiz.com
Silicon Valley Compucycle

Newegg and ZipZoomFly will probably have the best prices and selection for video cards, CPUs, motherboards, RAM and most other components. You might also consider browsing at Tiger Direct and Ewiz because they have good prices on certain items sometimes. I thought that SVC was good for small parts (case screws, case fans, heatsinks, cables.

You might also consider ChiefValue.com which is a second Newegg.com store. Sometimes ChiefValue has slightly lower prices than Newegg.
DW_Bomzin
Site Admin

But I don't want to go hang out a computer site , it would cut into my UT time . I just thought this would be helpfull for all those out there looking to build , I already know what I'm going to need . So do most .

I also thought those wanting to help may have some fun with it.

Tell ya what WhipperSnapper you go hang out for a couple weeks over there and report back.
WHIPperSNAPper
1337 Haxor

Well...you have to do research at some point so that you know the difference between a Celeron and a Core 2 Duo. And how do you choose a motherboard that will be good for overclocking? How do you know which motherboard is the older version and which is the newer version? This goes doubly for video cards.

"Wow! 8600 GTS for $180! It must be almost as powerful as an 8800 GTS. I bet this would totally own those older ATI cards like the wimpy x1950 pro and x1950xt."

Don't laugh--some people have had that very same thought process or none of the retailers would be able to sell weak turkeys like the 8600 GTS without lowering them down to $100.
Last edited by WHIPperSNAPper on Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
d2frob
1337 Haxor

Great idea bomzin..although i'm already set. UT3 on a notebook :D
DW_BrainPan
DW Clan Member

Just note on what IMO should be included in theses lists.
The only components of a persons "existing" system that I think it is fair to assume can be reused (or swapped) are keyboard and mouse.

I think it is necessary to include the cost of an OS though. You cannot assume a person has a retail version of an OS (or even an OS on a disc) any more than you can assume they would be reusing a CD/DVD drive. It's not part of the hardware, but it is a necessary part of a UT3 ready system and can be a considerable portion of the overall cost (e.g. more than 10% of a less than 1000 system if you buy a MS OEM OS).

p.s. Bomzin, maybe you should put a note and a link at he beginning of each of the other threads to point people back to this one
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world. Those who read binary, and everyone else.
4013 is only a FAD
And 2989? Well that's just BAD
Damnidge
1337 Haxor

http://www.sharkyextreme.com/

This site has an area a little down the page on the left that says buyer guides. There is a budget, high-end, and extreme.

When I built my rig in 2004, I used the budget one as a "base" to build mine, and it turned out really really well. Their guides are informative and give a suggested build for both AMD and Intel.

The only thing the guide suggested that I wish I didint buy was the case. The case they recommended does a great job of cooling and the temp gauge is great, but the power supply and USB ports died on it within the first year.

So, I would say besides wanting to get a better case and a better power supply on their budget guide, they are good for the total noob.
Cheers, Damnidge