Build a rig under 1000

Mapmaking? Modeling? Discuss all that stuff that's too complicated for most mere mortals here.
zeus
1337 Haxor

I would say that most people run their memory 1:1. You only run a different ratio when you are overclocking and your ram can't keep up.

Basically, on the intel side, you have a chip that runs at a certain speed. Their multiplier is locked (unless you buy a top chip). RAM is DDR2, which means the number you see is actually 2 times the number of the actual speed. And your FSB is actually 4 times the number of the actual speed.

So, your typical E6x00 chip has a normal FSB of 1066. (A E6X5X runs at 1333, but that is a different example.)

If you divide that by 4, you will get 266.5. That is the real speed of the chip. A E6300 has a multiplier of 7. Multiple 266.5 by 7 and you get 1865.5. That is 1.8GHz. A E6600 has a multiplier of 9, I believe. 9x266.5=2398.5 which is essentially 2.4Ghz.

When you run your DDR2 RAM at a 1:1 ratio with your CPU you are really running it at 266MHz. However, since it is doubled (DDR2), it is advertised at DDR2 533, PC2 4300.

Now, the way to overclock a locked multiplier chip (all but the most expensive ones) is to raise your FSB speed. This is motherboard dependant. When you raise your FSB speed and keep your memory at a 1:1 ratio it needs to go faster. So, if you purchase DDR2 800 memory, its actual speed (without overclocking the RAM) is 400MHz.

So, if you have a chip that will work with a FSB OC to 400 MHz, you can run a E6300 at 2.8GHz and still keep your RAM at 1:1. Again, you have increased your FSB to 400MHz. A E6300 has a multiplier of 7. 7 x 400 = 2800Mhz.

Now, to go higher, you either have to OC your RAM, get better RAM, or run your RAM in a different ratio other than 1:1, which is motherboard dependant.
DW_Bomzin
Site Admin
Xfire: bomzin

OK this little gem from what I've been reading is an OC SOB as stated. This is the chip Toxic recomended in his build .

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec.hmx ... KU=BA23881

I have never tried OC and this seems like a little gewel I wouldn't be to hart broken if I fried it . from what I've read this 1.8G chip can easily be pushed somewhere between 3-3.4Ghz and have seen listed for 70$ .

I'm alittle concernd about the board . Good but maybe missing raid , although doable takes some funky connetions or something , but the pro series looks promising . More bells and whistles also.

I'm willing to spend a couple more bucks now , getting a solid base mobo and throwing in a cheap cpu to experiment with until prices drop on the quads.

Damnidges choice is intriging although I think missing some features for OC .

I've been pondering this one ABIT IP35 Pro LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

I do think I will want to run a Raid configuration in the future. Maybe sooner rather then latter .

Probably going with the 8800gt for a vid.

Worth the money or not ? So many choices when it comes to the MOBO. Something better ?
noxiousCaitSith
1337 Haxor

RAID! i actually know what that is! haha.

anyway, this one is $159.99 and you get a rebate on the shipping. so just a little less than newegg...i guess. if that's the same one.
DW_ACY
DW Clan Member

With the advent of the 8800gt I don't know how you could not think of a SLI board as an option. You will be able to buy one gpu now and then when they come down buy another later and get 8800gtx+ performance in the future for equal or less than 8800gtx price. Just my 2 cents.

No shame, no dishonor, will run away to fight another day!
ACY
DW_ACY
DW Clan Member

DW_Bomzin wrote:OK this little gem from what I've been reading is an OC SOB as stated. This is the chip Toxic recomended in his build .

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec.hmx ... KU=BA23881

I have never tried OC and this seems like a little gewel I wouldn't be to hart broken if I fried it . from what I've read this 1.8G chip can easily be pushed somewhere between 3-3.4Ghz and have seen listed for 70$ .

I'm alittle concernd about the board . Good but maybe missing raid , although doable takes some funky connetions or something , but the pro series looks promising . More bells and whistles also.

I'm willing to spend a couple more bucks now , getting a solid base mobo and throwing in a cheap cpu to experiment with until prices drop on the quads.

Damnidges choice is intriging although I think missing some features for OC .

I've been pondering this one ABIT IP35 Pro LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

I do think I will want to run a Raid configuration in the future. Maybe sooner rather then latter .

Probably going with the 8800gt for a vid.

Worth the money or not ? So many choices when it comes to the MOBO. Something better ?

Hey Bomzin this just out today in Tom's may want to rethink your choice about boards???
http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/11/08/ ... age41.html

ACY
d2frob
1337 Haxor

That's what i was thinking of doing Acy. One 8800gt now and one when theyre in a sale or something similar. However apparently the 680i motherboard i had in mind isn't worth it - should get a x38 instead (and not do sli)
DW_ACY
DW Clan Member

Rob Look at the article there is an SLI board from MSI I think it would be well worth the cost!
MSI P35 Neo2-FIR is the boar check it out!

ACY
d2frob
1337 Haxor

Check my other post :)
noxiousCaitSith
1337 Haxor

so what about a good motherboard without the overclocking? i've never overclocked anything before and have no idea how to do it. it sounds unecessary to me and i don't really wanna make my parents pay any more on their electric bill than they are now.
it says the core 2 quad is better with "rendering 3d scenarios" so i'm guessing that's a good thing if you're using something like Maya?
so...anyone think the price of the q6600 will be dropping anytime soon? i didn't realize the prices of this stuff changed so often. :tard:
Damnidge
1337 Haxor

1. What am I missing for OC? The board - mem - cpu combo I got I found on overclocker websites to be a great combo for pushing the e6750 as high as 3.4-3.6 stable. Does it have the fancy cooler temp pcbs, etc., no, but those are new and the old boards oc fine. The only thing I gave up was RAID and other bells and whistles which I do not use.

2. I also considered buying a 2160 or 2180, but there is only 1mb of l2 cache, and the articles on UT3 and other games showed a large difference between 1mb and 2mb, and a smaller between 2 and 4.

3. I am really confused by the article posted by ACY on Tom's Hardware about the MSI board being the best overclocker. It is completely against what they posted earlier about p35 motherboards. If you scroll down to the performance chart titled "Maximum FSB clock" you will see a large difference between the MSI and Gigabyte/ABit boards when OCing:

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/06/19/ ... age21.html

4. One thing this 2nd build has taught me is that a lot of choices about parts are from gut instinct and personal preference once you narrow the field to the best parts. My mobo was 96 bucks and I had my entire machine built and running full speed in under 1 hour. The duo was leaps and bounds easier for me to put together than the AMD socket 754 machine I had. As for OCing, I will be doing that some point this week, so I will report on that later.

5. As of now I would totally say go 8800GT, but at this point you probably wan to wait and see what ATI has in store just in case. However, at this point, I don't think they can beat this. I played Red orchestra on Wednesday maxed, full AA and averaged 85-90 FPS - and that's with nothing overclocked yet. After all that, the heat coming from the card seems like half of what my 9800 pro used to put out.

The best part is all the fun! :cheers:
Cheers, Damnidge