New System VS New Video Card?

Mapmaking? Modeling? Discuss all that stuff that's too complicated for most mere mortals here.
Damnidge
1337 Haxor

So after I played UT3 tonight with no lag (but low frame rates) I started thinking whether I really do need to build a total new computer, or whether I need to just get a new video card.

I looked quickly on newegg, and there are 512mb radeon 2000 series and x1950s for around $150 that are AGP 8X (my current set-up is a socket 754 2.2 GHz athlon 64 w/ 2gb ram and radeon 9800 pro)

If I got one of these, would I be able to get some solid frame rates? I basically am blown away at how smooth this demo played on my current set-up. If I could compete simply by getting a new video card instead of spending $900 bucks then I need to consider that.

Thanks.
Cheers, Damnidge
d2frob
1337 Haxor

I recall reading one of the Epic guys saying that a gfx card should be on par with everything else otherwise it's not worth it. However, regarding getting UT3 to play smooth - i'd just wait a little while (perhaps wait for the full game and see how it runs). If it runs ok now (and i presume you haven't gone into tweaking it yet) then no rush!
zeus
1337 Haxor

That is interesting Damnidge.

On my core 2 duo, it eats up all of the processor.

I am wondering if we shouldn't take screen shots and compare between everyone. Wail was saying how bad everything looked yesterday and then saw what other people were seeing. Changed his mind a bit.
DW_ACY
DW Clan Member

Once again it is a beta demo and my dual core is maxed at 100% use and it is an X2 4200 2.2 OCed to 2.8 Damnidge. I would look at your settings too. Can you live with running it at reduced resolution and setting which it has scaled on your pc. I was thinking a new GPU would be all I need and now after some of the hitches and slowdowns when I try to play at my monitors native resolution I will be upgrading but I can now wait longer and into next year when prices and parts will be even lower.
Yeah I can make this work for now and be okay but I don't like my cpu maxed on both cores the way it is, becasue now my antivirus tasks me out when before it would just ru in the background to update. I will build a new system eventually, maybe a tri core AMD. :cheers:

No shame, no dishonor, will run away to fight another day!
ACY
WHIPperSNAPper
1337 Haxor

How expensive is the x1950 Pro in AGP? That card is two generations ahead of the 9800 Pro, so if you thought the performance was "playable" with the 9800 Pro, it should be pretty decent with the x1950 Pro provided that the rest of your rig doesn't bottleneck you.

I was very pleased with how well my rig handled it at low-medium settings (details at 3). My current rig:

Socket 939 single-core Opteron 148 at 2.53 Ghz
1 GB RAM
ATI Radeon x800xt (full-fledged 16 pipe card)

Kudos to Epic for working hard to optimize the engine so that older computers could play it unlike <cough> Bioshock.
DW_Hornet
DW Clan Member

The biggest concern I have damnidge is that your 2 generations behind.

The first being AGP->PCI-E and DDR2 (sorta 2 combined but w/e), and this current one thats pretty much here PCI-E->PCI-E 2.0 AND DDR3. Although you could upgrade this card and have it for the time being, your next major upgrade step is going to require you to buy an entirely new machine anyway. You can't buy another AGP card if you don't want to buy yet another new card for your next major build.

My recommendation is sit on your funds until you have enough for a good machine that will last you a few years, or at least as long as this current one did. This is only the demo, we don't know how much more strain the other game types are going to put on the system.
Damnidge
1337 Haxor

Funds are not an issue in the sense that I can afford to spend around 900 for a new machine. I'm just very much a thorough guy when it comes to before purchase research and I like to know my options.

If it was possible to run this game on my current rig with a reasonably priced card, then it was an option because as I see it, when I did make the move to buy a whole machine, I would use that new card (which I would make sure was DirectX 10) in my wifes machine when the time to upgrade to vista came for her. That way, it wouldn't be a "wasted" purchase.

However, after reading a lot of info last night from various hardware places, and reading about PCI-E 2.0, etc., it became apparent to me that I will probably build a new machine.

Right now, I am going to aim to get a solid mobo that has the option to go to 1066, although I am going to buy 2gb of DDR2 800. I am looking at the one you got Hornet, or it's MSI equal. I am a little hesitant to buy Gigabyte again after my nightmare with my first mobo on socket 754. I am on a MSI now and it seems very stable, although I know things change when you go to new chip sets and sockets. However, it seems the gigabytes are more highly rated right now.

I'm still looking at different parts and deals. So far, I have found good deals on newegg, ClubIT, and Amazon. I have also checked zipzoomfly, chiefvalue, and frys. Any other places I should look for deals?
Cheers, Damnidge
zeus
1337 Haxor

mwave.com

As far as "bargain sites", I use bensbargains.net, dealspl.us, and the hot deals forum on anandtech.
mersenary aka MinisterofDeath
1337 Haxor

GEEEEZ! WTH is PCIe 2.0 now????? Everytime I think I know what to get to get caught up something else friggin pops out of the woodwork. Its getting to the point where you dont know what to buy anymore.
mersenary aka MinisterofDeath
1337 Haxor

Now I see there is a PCIe 3.0!