8800gt Power supply

Mapmaking? Modeling? Discuss all that stuff that's too complicated for most mere mortals here.
Flak_Monkey
Camper
Xfire: flakmonkeyjared

I have a 420W power supply and was wondering if that is good enough to run the 8800GT
"But the not-self cannot have the bad, meaning they of the government and the judges and the schools cannot allow the bad because they cannot allow the self."
Damnidge
1337 Haxor

Power Supplies are something that still confuse the crap out of me.

I can tell you what I learned edumacating myself these past few weeks. First is that the amp rating of the rail, or rails in your power supply is important. Next, there is a really good psu demand calculator here:

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp

I found this page that shows the power usage of one of the 8800gt cards:

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/10/29/ ... age14.html

Now, my gut instinct is that you will want to get a more powerful supply, but zeus, toxic, hornet, Snaggle, etc. know a lot about this sort of thing so I'd wait for one of their responses.
Last edited by Damnidge on Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Damnidge
zeus
1337 Haxor

You are going to have to calculate what you need for your whole system. However, from what I understand, the 8800GT is still pretty power hungry.
DW_ACY
DW Clan Member

From my experiance I would say your going to need more power!

No shame, no dishonor, will run away to fight another day!
ACY
Flak_Monkey
Camper
Xfire: flakmonkeyjared

Thanks for the information guys.
"But the not-self cannot have the bad, meaning they of the government and the judges and the schools cannot allow the bad because they cannot allow the self."
JDub
Killer in Training

Short answer: Probably not. I'm running an overclocked 6750 a 8800GT 512, 2GB ddr2, 5 hard drives + a few other things most people dont run off a 400W PSU.

Long answer: if you have a real cheap PSU maybe, they skimp on materials and produce less power than they claim both in ideal circumstances and under stress (heat reduces PSU output)
DW_ACY
DW Clan Member

ah Jdub....your a little late to the party man.

No shame, no dishonor, will run away to fight another day!
ACY