Looks Like I will be a convert on next build!

Mapmaking? Modeling? Discuss all that stuff that's too complicated for most mere mortals here.
DW_ACY
DW Clan Member

Well after lookoing and looking I gues my next build will be an Intell. I just can't justify not getting the performance I want out of my setup unless I wait until next year for the phenoms to be more available! Go ahead rub it in I eat my humble peice of the pie the longer this goes on the less I can justify buying an AMD processor.

No shame, no dishonor, will run away to fight another day!
ACY
d2frob
1337 Haxor

:D i hope this Q6600 is good :P
kaeolian
1337 Haxor

Hehe welcome to the dark side ACY, there is nothing wrong with intel's I love mine ! :cheers:
Aih PittaH TeH F00l !!!1!11

Damnidge
1337 Haxor

Honestly I never quite understood the whole allegiance to only one company. Monopoly laws aside, the point of a business is to do as well as possible and defeat your competitors. I go with whatever product is the best for my needs and the best bang for the buck based on solid reviews and past experience. I don't care who makes it really.

I have to be honest. When I made my AMD machine it gave me a huge headache. The memory controller on the chip worked like crap and caused all sorts of issues with not being able to get DDR400 to run over DDR33 speeds, the support for chipsets etc. was not good, and overall I had a hard time building it as a first time builder.

Now, I have experience building a lot of computers now, but even with that my current build was so easy Acy. Everything just slides together, and the LGA 775 socket is so simple. You just set the chip down, put the lid over, and lock it. done.

I know I went up in speed, but this machine is really fast. It boots windows xp in like 45 seconds. I'm talking at the desktop all extensions running ready to go.

I have no long term experience with this, but we'll see.
Cheers, Damnidge
DW_ACY
DW Clan Member

Well Damnidge you were two generation removed from AMDs good products. the 939 was by far their best and easiest build and if I'm not mistaken it is the reason Intell went to the 775 sockets. I had no problems and the memory controller and OCing were real easy on this machine. I just uped the multiplyer and change my memory setting and instant OC to 2.8.
So my experiance has been very positive with AMD. But as I said I will more than likely start to look at Intels but first I will wait till the phenoms are out and have some real world numbers.

No shame, no dishonor, will run away to fight another day!
ACY
DW_ToxicWaste
Site Admin

If not for AMD, we would not have 32p ONS servers until last year.

If not for AMD, we would be paying $1,200 for a 3.8 GHZ P4 Networst architecture Intel chip right now.

With that said, I go where the performance is. My server builds were strictly AMD until Kentsfield. Then the processor world was turned upside down.

AMD's first mistake was abandoning 939.

Their second mistake was struggling to build a "true" quad core as their first attempt.

I'm not sure they will get a chance to make another mistake....

But if they do... well then we will all be in deep trouble.

Rich (TW)
* > Tommo
DW_Hornet
DW Clan Member

Black edition cpu's look "ok", AMD will eventually bounce back into the game. They weren't always the performance underdog like they currently are. The intel stuff is tempting and I'll welcome you to the darkside. However just remember there are a whole bunch of upcoming stuff like phenom and penryn. Maybe phenom will somehow improve things.
DW_ToxicWaste
Site Admin

I'm not as optimistic. Right now, Intel has their foot squarely on AMD's throat.

Fact is, Phenom is coming out clocked well below what was expected, and AMD keeps tripping over their own two feet.

It's rumored that Intel could crank Penryn up to 4GHz fairly easily. If AMD was putting pressure on them, we might have even seen by Q2 '08. Without AMD, we might never see it before intel rolls out Nehalem. With that, Intel will remove what little advantage AMD has with the on die memory controller. And I fear, it will see the end of Intel pricing their top processor at $1,000 and a return to their price gouging ways.

Rich (TW)
* > Tommo
DW_Hornet
DW Clan Member

Yea, Thanks Toxic for removing all hope from the last vestiges of existence.

Hey if phenom/barcelona is the huge flop on the desktop side, there is always the shanghai core thats expected to help a bit.