Core 2 Duo E6750 Idling at 1.99 MHz Not 2.66

Mapmaking? Modeling? Discuss all that stuff that's too complicated for most mere mortals here.
Damnidge
1337 Haxor

My new processor is a E6750. It is rated at 2.66 GHz.

When I first put the machine together CPU-Z reported the core at 1.99 and multiplier at 6x. I dismissed it as a possible error after doing some research on the web, but now find it is not the case

Today I installed Easy Tune 5 to monitor cpu fan speeds, and I noticed it also reported the idle speed at 1.99. When I open a program, or game etc, it jumps to 2.66 for a few seconds, and then once the program is open it goes back to 1.99

I am assuming this is an energy setting in my BIOS, but I cannot seem to find anything obvious to me. I double checked my BIOS has the multiplier set at 8x. Any suggestions?
Cheers, Damnidge
Damnidge
1337 Haxor

Is it Intel SpeedStep?
Cheers, Damnidge
DW_Cheapshot
DW Clan Member

Like the head on a nail, its a power saving feature.
Some say it can mess with over clocking,
otherwise its a good thing. My system clocks down
on ut2004 not enough of a strain.
Im running the quad at 2.8 Nothing has topped it
out yet, not need to go higher.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. Emerson
Damnidge
1337 Haxor

So when I eventually overclock will I need to turn it off? If so, how do I turn it off? Is there a BIOS control, or is it something built into the chip I cannot change?
Cheers, Damnidge
zeus
1337 Haxor

It is a BIOS setting. Basically, when the machine is at idle, the multiplier sits at 6x. When you put load on the CPU it flips to 7x (or whatever yours is suppossed to be).

Fire up CPU-Z, then fire up Orthos. Watch it flip.
Damnidge
1337 Haxor

should I turn it off or leave it on?
Cheers, Damnidge
DW_ToxicWaste
Site Admin

When you are ready to overclock, turn it off.

When you get your overclock completely stable, and you're ready to go, you can re-enable it (make sure you manually record your BIOS settings somewhere in case it really screws things up and you need to reset your BIOS).

Some people report that it makes overclocks unstable. Others report no issues. If you see instability after you enable it, then turn off. if not, you can leave it on.

Rich (TW)
* > Tommo
Damnidge
1337 Haxor

What is it labeled as in the BIOS?
Cheers, Damnidge
zeus
1337 Haxor

What is your MB?
Damnidge
1337 Haxor

my mobo is a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L

I did some research last night, and I think I found the entires I am interested in and their current states in BIOS:

1. CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) = Enabled
2. CPU Thermal Monitor 2 (TM2) = Enabled
3. CPU EIST Function (Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology) = Enabled

From the info I read on all three, these are the things making my cpu go down.

The thing that confuses me is that all three sound like they do the same thing more or less. C1E is the one that sound like it drops the multiplier to save energy, TM2 sounds like it throttles back voltage to avoid overheating, and EIST was compared to AMD's Cool 'n Quiet.

My main question is, do I want any of these? Saving energy is great, but at what cost? I am also curious how much energy I am actually saving?
Cheers, Damnidge