Lighting in Large Rooms (i.e. December 24th)

Mapmaking? Modeling? Discuss all that stuff that's too complicated for most mere mortals here.
Slimicus
Killer in Training

I remember a while back we were talking about light map gradient artifacts in large lit maps (Wraith and Bio I think?)

Anyway, I found a solution I think to those nasty looking gradients.. it seems if you use RGB8 as the lightmap texture, and check "Save as BMP", then increase the lightmap size on the surface (depending on how big it is) to either 128 or 256 for the largest surface in the room it helps alot.

I know one might think checking "Save as BMP" would add a huge uncompressed image to the map, but apparently when I did this and rebuilt, the level went down 3 megs in size :P hehe I don't know why... but it doesn't seem to affect level size adversely. :)

Here's a comparison...

Before lightmap size changes (to the surface) and lighting changes in build options: Image After changes: Image Hope this helps with those large room maps :)
DW_ChocoCake
DW Clan Member

I have already fixed this particular map by doing what you have said in your post. If you download the map from the server, you will see what I have done. The map is also on my filefront. It seems like the DXT compression does weird things with lighting in large rooms.
DW_Wraith
DW Clan Member

Thanks for the solution, I have never played with those settings, ever. I'll be sure to use it, just hope to remember it when the time comes.

:cheers: :cat: :cheers: