Looking into Upgrades

Mapmaking? Modeling? Discuss all that stuff that's too complicated for most mere mortals here.
DW_WailofSuicide
DW Clan Member

I've been holding off until after the holidays to do this, but since they're all done with for now, I'd like to finally make an investment into some upgrades for my computer.

I'd like to pick up a new video card, looking in the 200-250$ range. This pretty much seems to mean an 8800 at this point in time.

So my other question is, will my 400W PSU handle an 8800? I've been looking around and while I'm not quite sure it won't ... It seems like a good idea to look for an upgrade anyway. My big concern here is ensuring that any new power supply has the same dimensions as my existing one so I'm sure it fits into my case. Of course I don't even know if this is a reasonable request, because I don't know if power supplies even have standardize form factors.

Also looking around for a HD in the $100 range in case anyone wants to suggest any deals they might have seen on that front.
zeus
1337 Haxor

Power Supplies are pretty standard. If they aren't they are going to say something about it. Check out silentpcreview.com for quiet power supplies and hard drives.

8800GT would probably be my first choice. I cannot recommend the 8800GTS 320 at this time. It sucks donkey balls with UT2k4. It has been an ongoing problem with Nvidia for over a year now and no sign of fixing it. It does seem to play CoD4 quite well. Though I have had to turn on Vsync and lock it to 60fps.
d2frob
1337 Haxor

My gt worked with a pretty standard coolermaster psu. I'm at 650W i believe althought i believe the 450 mark is fine
DW_ACY
DW Clan Member

How old is your power supply?
Do you connect a lot of usb perifrials? If so you want to move that requirement to about 500 w.

No shame, no dishonor, will run away to fight another day!
ACY
DW_WailofSuicide
DW Clan Member

Only USB peripherals I've got are my mouse and my mic. Other components ... P4 3ghz dual core, 7200 SATA HD, 2 DVD drives, Integrated Audio, that's about it. No huge stack of Hard Drives here, though as I said before I am looking to get another HD for storage sometime soonish.
DW_Wraith
DW Clan Member

I would try to get a PS that is closer to 500 or 600 is even better, its always better to have excess capacity and the power supply runs more efficiently at lower power draw, heres an article that can explain it better than I can and while you may pay more in the beginning, the energy you save will keep your utility bill down enough to probably recoup the difference in a year or so of time, pay now, or pay later....

http://compreviews.about.com/od/cases/a ... ciency.htm

from another article:
http://compreviews.about.com/od/cases/a/PSUWattage.htm

I frequently get questions from people who are looking to upgrade their graphics card in their desktop computer system. Many high-end graphics cards have very specific requirements for power in order to operate properly. Thankfully this has improved with manufacturers now listing the minimum number of amps required on the 12V line in order for the cards to work. Previously they never published any power supply requirements.

Now, in terms of most desktop computers, the companies generally do not list the PC's power supply ratings in their specifications. Typically the user will have to open up the case and look for the power supply label to determine what exactly the system can support. Unfortunately, most desktop PCs will come with fairly low power supplies as cost savings measures. A typical desktop PC that didn't come with a dedicated graphics card will usually have between a 350 to 400W unit with around 15 to 18A rating. This will be fine for most budget graphics cards, but high end cards typically require more. Therefore, to use a high end card in such a desktop PC would require that the power supply also be upgraded which can be quite difficult.
Conclusions

Remember that everything we have been talking about involves the maximum limits of the computer power supply. Probably 99% of the time a computer is being used, it is not being used to its maximum potential and as a result will draw much less power than the maximums. The important thing is that the computer power supply needs to have enough headroom for those times that the system is being taxed heavily. Examples of such times are playing graphic intensive 3D games or doing video transcoding. These things heavily tax the components and need additional power.

As a case in point, I put a power usage meter between the power supply and the wall outlet on my computer as a test. During average computing, my system was pulling no more than 240W of power. This is well below the rating of my power supply. However, if I then play a 3D game for several hours, the power usage peaks upwards to around 400W of total power. Does this mean that a 400W power supply would be sufficient? Probably not as I have a large number of items that draw heavily on the 12V rail such that a 400W could have voltage problems.

:cheers:
DW_ACY
DW Clan Member

Thank you Wraith my sentiments exactly, you may find that in the future you are wanting to add this or that and you then need to buy another power supply to meet your needs. get enough capacity to go through another two to three upgrades rather than not enough and have to keep purchasing.

No shame, no dishonor, will run away to fight another day!
ACY
noxiousCaitSith
1337 Haxor

i've sorta been having a similar problem but i already bought a 650W power supply cause it will be $25 after the rebate and has the 6 pin connector for the 8800gt...but i did read some reviews that people did for power supplies saying that even some of the ones with more watts weren't able to give the 8800gt enough power cause of what wraith was saying.
but i guess we shall see
Damnidge
1337 Haxor

I found this psu wattage calculator to be very helpful:

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psuc ... orlite.jsp

You also want to ask yourself if you are going to overclock or not. Overclocking obviously requires more juice.

I love my eVGA 8800gt superclocked card. I have only had trouble in UT2004 on one ONS map, but no other issues that the gts owners have spoken of, and I don't even know if my card was the issue (I was told it was). It has one single pci-e 6-pin power connector on the back edge.

It's up to you Wail, but I learned my lesson on my latest purchase. 4 years ago I bought an ok brand at a reasonable wattage and had issues. This time, I found a corsair 550 watt single rail psu, and it is rockin' the house. I would def go for one with a single 120mm fan - the ones with 2 80mm fans are too loud!

I also was told you want to look at the amps on each line, or look for a single rail (which the research I read is better if it's a solid brand). If price is not an issue go with PC Power & Colling. I have never owned one, but I remember the ratings on those are very very high.
Cheers, Damnidge
DW_WailofSuicide
DW Clan Member

Hey guys,

So you've convinced me that it's probably a good idea to look into getting a new PSU if I'm going to be running my 8800GT in the future.

Right now I'm looking at a couple of PSUs, which seem to be pretty well priced ... Well, at least from what I can see, I don't exactly follow this stuff all that closely.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817171013 - $49.99 AR

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817171014 - $54.99 ar

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817152026 - 59.99 AR

I'm also potentially interested in a new case. Not sure if the new PSUs will fit in my old case, and it's kind of stupidly cramped in there anyway, so upgrading that might be wise. Been looking at some cases...

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... =C283-1002

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... =C283-1138

Mostly just want something without a window, and without excessive LED lights.

Any thoughts on these items?