Looking into Upgrades

Mapmaking? Modeling? Discuss all that stuff that's too complicated for most mere mortals here.
DW_ACY
DW Clan Member

Wail they all look like solid choices to me you will be fine with any of the power supplies or the cases.

No shame, no dishonor, will run away to fight another day!
ACY
Damnidge
1337 Haxor

Cooler master I don't know much about, but I do know they are a no-no on this list:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/sho ... p?t=108088

I was referred to this by several DWs and friends independently, so I am guessing it holds some weight. It was one reason I spent the extra 20% for my corsair, and it was well worth it. I have no issues like I did with my last ones surging when flipped on, etc. As my brother put it, how stupid would you feel to spend 1000 on a computer and fry half of it because you were too cheap to make it 1050?

Radimax you want to avoid like the plague. Every single person I know with one has had issues, cases and psus.

Good luck.
Cheers, Damnidge
DW_ACY
DW Clan Member

ACY wrote:Wail they all look like solid choices to me you will be fine with any of the power supplies or the cases.
uH...Guess i did not research near enough I look and sound like an idiot. Don't mind me Wail. :sign3:

ACY
Damnidge
1337 Haxor

Sorry ACY wasn't trying for that. I know nothing about these guys, except what a lot of people told me with my new build - don't buy crap.

I had an aspire one that almost fried my old board, and a Rosewill that put a surge into my LEDs every time I flipped it on.

I am definitely not an expert on PSUs. Just passing on the info =)
Cheers, Damnidge
DW_ACY
DW Clan Member

No Damnidge I should have done a little more research instead of just reading reviews i know better than that. I was making fun of myself and you have every rigt to correct me on something so obviously wrong on my part. I gathered some new info myself from that forum post you found.

ACY
noxiousCaitSith
1337 Haxor

uh oh i bought a cooler master. so if it's a crappy power supply it can ruin a motherboard? that's probably not a good thing. well i might have to get a new one then. i had read some reviews people did about the one i bought...some were good and some were bad. i was thinking it'd be fine since most of the people who gave it negative reviews didn't know what they were buying and the thing wasn't compatible or stuff didn't get enough voltage.

anyone else here have a cooler master?
Damnidge
1337 Haxor

Again, there are a lot more people on here more knowledgeable than I, but I don't think you need to sell yours.
so if it's a crappy power supply it can ruin a motherboard?
I can answer that for sure - yes. Crappy power supplies can surge, or have other issues that can cause some components attached to them to be overloaded. I know of one person I work with that suffered that fate, although they had purchased a no-name case that came with a no-name psu, so that was probably the worst of the worst. I have also personally seen one catch on fire in an old Pentium one at work. Smelled like a dumpster fire.

I also learned from Hornet when looking for mine that if you are considering overclocking, it is important that the amps on the main 12V line, or each line if there are more than one, are adequate. My first one that I almost got only had 15 amps on the 12V line so I canceled the purchase, which I am happy that I did. I later went on to research what Hornet had told me and the info was important. My current one has one main line at 41 amps.

This is the one I got:

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDe ... e=10006757

I got mine from zipzoomfly, but at the time I got it for 65 AR. Right now until 1-15 you can get it for 78.90 AR. I actually just got my rebate yesterday in the mail, so it only took about 9 weeks (unlike my broadbandoffers.com rebates which took 7 months!) Seems to be more than ample for my stuff right now, but I don't know about it running SLI. It does have two 6pin pci-e connectors?

ALSO - I highly recommend that whatever brand you pick, it is a model with only ONE MAIN 120MM FAN. This is the first one I have had with the one 120mm, and it is so much quieter and cooler.
Last edited by Damnidge on Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Damnidge
Damnidge
1337 Haxor

I found this review of mine very helpful. If you search this guy's site, he has 59 other current power supply reviews on there, and they seem very thorough.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?na ... ry&reid=62
Cheers, Damnidge
DW_ACY
DW Clan Member

One of the few things that I also look for is modular wireing because I hate, absolutly hate having extra wires in my case as I do now so when I build later this year it will definatly be a modular PSU.

ACY
Damnidge
1337 Haxor

I did not even know there was such a thing (just googled them). That's cool. Do you have to pay a lot more for those?

My first build (2004) was wires everywhere because I did not know much about building. My current one has this kind of black plastic shielding on each line, which is much better. I just took large plastic zip ties and banded the two lines I was not using, and then found these cool white plastic sticky mounts at Fry's that are made for attaching zip ties to. Then I just pulled them all to the top of the case out of sight.
Cheers, Damnidge