Static Mesh + Karma vs Builder Brush

Mapmaking? Modeling? Discuss all that stuff that's too complicated for most mere mortals here.
PixelSmash

Hi all, I was wondering about something. I'm working on a level, which only has floating platforms. Since I'm somewhat skilled in 3dsmax, I made the models in there - and imported them as static meshes. All is still well.

Here's the thing. Once you're killed, you fall right through it. I don't fully understand yet why, but I think it has something to do with karma stuff.
So what should I do to fix this? Import the model as brush and add it as a regular brush, or try and fix it with a good karma model?

Cheers!
Pixel

ps: here's a quick screenshot from the editor to show what the current scene is:
Find me: PixelSmash @ Death Warrant:Monster Mash RPG - Server 2

I'm working on a level... as soon as I have some visuals, I will share them!
DW_WailofSuicide
DW Clan Member

What you want is a simplified collision model for your static mesh. I don't really remember how to set these up in 3DSMax, the last time I tried creating these was with Maya and it involved creating a low-poly version of the mesh and grouping it with the normal-poly version of the static mesh.

You may want to look at http://udn.epicgames.com/Two/CollisionTutorial.html, hopefully that helps.
DW_Ant
DW Clan Member

Oh this bug puzzled me for the longest time in my earlier days.

I'm assuming you've myleveled these static meshes.

Once you've done this, there should be some additional properties at the bottom in the static mesh browser.
Materials (this is what kind of textures for your model)
SimplifiedCollision
UseSimpleKarmaCollision (If you don't have a collision model, set this to false and your problem is solved :)
But if you have a collision model, you should set that model one to false instead for faster performance.
The difference between successful people from others is
not in the lack of strength,
not in the lack of knowledge,
but rather in the lack of will.

FFE466

Wail, I actually did look at that page, however it said that the karma shape should be convex - which simply isn't possible in this case: the static mesh has a lot of bumps and dents in it. But thanks!

Ant: thanks so much, that did fix it! Turned out I couldn't even add it as an additive brush since that would freeze up the editor... guess it can't handle 18K meshes that well ;)
Find me: PixelSmash @ Death Warrant:Monster Mash RPG - Server 2

I'm working on a level... as soon as I have some visuals, I will share them!