Spam Viking official map makers.

Mapmaking? Modeling? Discuss all that stuff that's too complicated for most mere mortals here.
DW_Hornet
DW Clan Member

Ok heres a brain fart. Id like to organize a group of players that are dedicated to makeing maps. These maps can be either remakes of maps thats allready exist by improving some flaws and makeing them better and more suited for 32p play, or completely new maps that we will create and theme accordingly. Id like to see content from the community played by the community. Personally id like to see plenty of ECE and defualt vehicles and 3-4 node layout to the core. Any thoughts or suggestions?
DW_WailofSuicide
DW Clan Member

DW_Hornet wrote:Ok heres a brain fart. Id like to organize a group of players that are dedicated to makeing maps. These maps can be either remakes of maps thats allready exist by improving some flaws and makeing them better and more suited for 32p play, or completely new maps that we will create and theme accordingly. Id like to see content from the community played by the community. Personally id like to see plenty of ECE and defualt vehicles and 3-4 node layout to the core. Any thoughts or suggestions?
I think that's a good idea and I would like to see a group of the sort emerge as well. I'm not sure how formalized we need to be but it's a good idea to let everyone know what we're working on if anything and keep everyone apprised of the situation.

Just to advertise because I hang out here a lot, usually I am idling in the 3DBuzz UnrealEd chat, which sees a pretty good amount of people, and I've used it for getting hints on how to do stuff in UnrealScript recently. I know there are some people in there who are into modelling, so you may be able to convince someone to make some SMs too, if you need any and can't do it yourself.

Server 216.127.90.29
channel #ued
DW_Hornet
DW Clan Member

Well, first we need to sit down and have some pretty good ideas. Then modeling and textureing will become important.

For example, How about a map were it has a bunch of viking ships, Sorta like airmars. However, id like to get some ground support in there. So do we create walkways and have a sea battle with mantas and turrets? do we have them in middle of a landing? or do we have a battle in a shipping yard were these boats will be built? ect...
DW_Bomzin
Site Admin
Xfire: bomzin

Ah. Shipyard , Lots of boats planks bridges.Jump pads to the galos. Can bury the nodes in Boat houses and the boats themself. Can someone fancy up a submarine that actually works? Put a node in the middle on a moving vessle. AYE Maties.
DW_WailofSuicide
DW Clan Member

Well, I don't exactly see where you're going if you think we need to collaborate to get ideas. Plain fact is that with the way mapping works one person is going to be doing the brunt of the work in UnrealEd. The only way I can really see collaboration on maps themselves working is if two (maybe 3) people work on the same map and pass it off, each working on different areas. Feedback and testing and such is one thing, but having a lot of cooks in the kitchen is another... Ultimately what a mapper wants to do is up to him, not up for a vote.
DW_Hornet
DW Clan Member

Well, the map starts out as a well thought out plan. The plan will dicate on what needs to be done. If he wants to create a mini me type map they will pretty much know the placement of everything. Its the mapper job to create a course of action, and plan out what needs to be created. If he wants to delegate power as to terrian, special animations, new types of vehicles, anything its on him to get it done correctly and to his vision. He in essence will become a "director" of a map, not entirely administrative, he will get his hands dirty too.
DW_WailofSuicide
DW Clan Member

Well, I'm kind of of the opinion that "Map ideas" per-se are kind of gimmicky. I've got a few pages in my sketchbook of ideas and such, but most of my map ideas are based around visual ideas or non-map-specific features to try and change gameplay (ie, a vehicle recharger). I would like to see someone make a Skaarj (AS-Mothership) themed Onslaught level, since there are none that I can think of. Maybe make an ONS-HallofGiants, heh.
Gorzakk
1337 Haxor

One thing is this, has anyone got any scraps? Bits an bobs of maps they took up, and later abandoned for some reason? If so, why not pass that map along for someone else to attempt to rescue? Another thing is everybody here is good at different aspects of mapping. I am pretty good with vehicle code, but just plain suck at making environments. If someone is good at environments, make something extreme! Caves tunnels wotnot, I'll come up with vehicles that can deal with it.

That kind of thing.
DW_WailofSuicide
DW Clan Member

I've got some maps I've started on but haven't had a heck of a lot of time to work on lately. I might look into making them available if anyone's interested in collaborating on them, but they're in need of some significant construction to be in a playable state (probably around 15-20% world-geometry completion status)
Purity_the_Kitty
1337 Haxor

Any way we coudl revive an old Descent map of mine, that I really loved (though the online community hated it because they were all pure dogfighters who didn't like anything besides bland walls on their maps).

The map was called Magma Dome, and the central point of the map was a large hall, domed, with lava dripping down the walls, and droplets falling from the ceiling onto players. Basically, everyone in there was taking small damage over time, as well as the lava being a huge hazard on all sides of the room (remember Descent players fly raptorlike vehicles).

So I was thinking...why not ONS-Magmadome? Players have shield guns to protect themselves against magma droplets if they don't like taking a bit of damage, scatter some health packs on the nodes, and put the Redeemer at the apex of the dome, where you're going to have to do something tricky to keep from being lava-baked. The rest of the map could be done in a lot of different ways.