Nali Cow Player Model

Mapmaking? Modeling? Discuss all that stuff that's too complicated for most mere mortals here.
Anonymouse
1337 Haxor

So, most ut2004 invasion players should know what a nali cow is. For those who don't, it's a cute :sbigsmile: looking 2 legged cow that appears in wave 1 of ut2004 invasion.
I was wondering, if a player model could be made out of it. Any ideas of how this can be done? It should be pretty simple since the texture is already made for the model.
Thanks, Anonymouse/Calypto :ssmile:
DW_Fry
DW Clan Member

Yes, there's already a Nali Cow skin, it's available on Cheapshot's website at http://cheap-shot.net .

I've actually already compiled a complete pack containing all the skins on Cheap's site including the Nali Cow, and the most commonly used skins on the server. This will let you see most players that are using custom skins. To get the full pack, go to http://builderbrush.com/content/ut2004-downloads . This pack also has all the files separated into the proper folders, so you just copy them into your UT2004 folder instead of unzipping each skin individually and figuring out which folder to put them into.
(Under Team Deathmatch)
Anonymouse
1337 Haxor

Cool skins, I was wondering what others had for their skin. But actually, I was looking for just a nali cow without all that fancy equipment, like in wave 1. :swink:
DW_WailofSuicide
DW Clan Member

It's probably not possible to use, or even if you were able to figure it out would fill your game's log with errors. The Nali Cow model is a vertex animated mesh, rather than a skeletal animated mesh like player-characters use. This has big implications, for example:

-Nali Cows have no head bone, so weapons cannot determine when a headshot has been scored
-Nali Cows don't have the appropriate animations that player models have, things like jumping, dodging, crouching, switching weapons, etc.
-Vertex animated meshes can't (to my knowledge, though there may be some obscure way) be exported into 3rd party 3D programs like 3DSMax where these problems could be addressed.
Anonymouse
1337 Haxor

Oh ok :scry:
But thanks for helping out :sbigsmile:
DW_WailofSuicide
DW Clan Member

Yeah, it's extremely disappointing I know.
This is a problem with all of the monsters from the original Unreal (Nali Cows, Skaarj, Warlords, Queens, Titans, etc.). If there were some way to get them into 3DSMax then someone could make cool new animations or add interesting variations like mean-old Titans with big bone spikes coming out of their shoulders, etc