Image file to .utx

Mapmaking? Modeling? Discuss all that stuff that's too complicated for most mere mortals here.
Anonymouse
1337 Haxor

Is there a way I can make an image file to a texture file? I wanted to make a projector display my name on a wall/staticmesh if this narrows things down.
Thanks, Anon.
DW_Ant
DW Clan Member

I wouldn't recommend making an external .utx file since you're going to be using this for a map. I'll recommend saving the texture(s) into the map itself. To do this:
1. import the image into the editor.
The image must be in BMP, PCX, TGA, DDS, or UPL format
The image resolutions must be in powers of two (ie: 64X64, 512X512, 256X512, etc...)
Open your map and go to the texture browser.
Hit file and import.
Locate your image import it.
In the window that pops up set the following settings.
Package: mylevel (this is a universal known package where the editor will save the textures into your map).
Group: Any name will do
Name: Name your texture here.
If you don't see your image in the texture browser that means the image's resolutions is not in powers of two.

2. Saving the texture to your map.
Use the texture somewhere in your map such that some actor has a reference to your texture.
This is needed because the editor will automatically delete everything saved in mylevel if they are not in use. It'll make this check whenever you close the editor.

This isn't about importing your texture to the editor, but there's another thing you should know. Please avoid spamming your name all over the walls. Avoid smacking your name in 6ft tall letters in the main fighting area in your map for the following reasons.
1. You'll regret it later. I'm not saying that you'll regret the map you made. In fact it's wonderful that you made a map in the first place. Further down the road, you'll find yourself saying, "That wasn't necessary."
2. It also reflects a poor image in your name. Whenever a mapper spells his/her name all over the map, the players inside the map may predict that the mapper is either very cocky, possessive in his/her map, or the mapper is full of him/herself.
3. If people love your map, they can easily find the author's name in the map just by asking around, or search up the author's name in the [anchor= goto=MapProperties]map's properties[/anchor]. But on the other end of the spectrum, there are always individuals who'll hate your map (can't make everyone happy). Well I'm sure you can draw the conclusions from here.

I'll recommend either posting your name in a secret room or somewhere small (like in Kage's maps). -or-
because of the new updates in Monster Mash, the beginning will now announce the mapper's name with the map title. That line is referenced through the map's properties. Here's how you do this:
[anchor=MapProperties goto=]Open the Level Properties.[/anchor]
3 possibilities:
1. View ---> Level Properties
2. F6
3. Right click in blank space in top or side view ports, on the shortcut menu, click on Level Properties.

Go to Level Summary.
Author: Your name
Title: The real map title. This is where you can set it to DW's Storage Facility if you want.
Also you can place your level previews (screenshot(s)) and description here.

Note: I didn't proofread this post. Expect some grammar mistakes.
The difference between successful people from others is
not in the lack of strength,
not in the lack of knowledge,
but rather in the lack of will.

FFE466

Thanks so much for your fast reply and thorough answer! I was wondering about putting level info in previews but didn't know how and you answered a question I didn't ask :ssurprised:
Just wondering, if the image has transparency in it, does it apply to the texture too?
DW_Ant
DW Clan Member

I don't have photoshop so I can't tell you how the alpha channels are saved. I've always seen transparent images imported as DDS format.

I always make the transparent portion have either black or white (depending on the colour of the text). When I import into the editor, I'll modify the properties depending what actor I'm going to use it on.

If emitters, I'll set either Translucent or Modulate Texture properties.

If Projectors, I'll set the background colour to gray.

There are other ways to set it to transparent through shaders, masking, combiners, etc...
The difference between successful people from others is
not in the lack of strength,
not in the lack of knowledge,
but rather in the lack of will.

FFE466

Anonymouse wrote:Thanks so much for your fast reply and thorough answer! I was wondering about putting level info in previews but didn't know how and you answered a question I didn't ask :ssurprised:
Just wondering, if the image has transparency in it, does it apply to the texture too?
When you import it into the map, make sure the checkbox for Alpha is checked.
If the alpha layer is set up properly in the original texture then the transparency will carry over.

If you've got the texture in Photoshop format, your best bet is to export to DDS using DX3 or DXT5. DXT1 does not contain the alpha channel, which results in smaller filesize but obviously won't do if you need the transparency of that particular texture.