Where can i learn the basics of mapping?

Mapmaking? Modeling? Discuss all that stuff that's too complicated for most mere mortals here.
@nt
Pro but Noob

I tried to look for guides online, but none seem to help. I would greatly appreciate it if someone would answer the the following questions:

1. How do I make a secret room where you need to trans in?
2. Whenever i try to make multiple cubes, it replaces the one I already have. How do I make multiple rooms?
3. How do I make a safespot?
4. How do I change terrain to make it bumpy and mountainous?
5. How do I make a teleporter?
6. How do I make trials for maps?
7. How do I make it so that map features are unlocked as the waves pass by?
8. How do I add extra features to my maps (aka. trees, buildings, stairs, tunnels,)

I'll greatly appreciate answers to the questions.
I like cookies...
DW_Ant
DW Clan Member

@nt wrote:1. How do I make a secret room where you need to trans in?
If you are referring making a small hole in the wall then,
Make the two rooms connected by a small entry space (either static meshes or a simple small BSP brush). Small enough only where a trans may only go through.
@nt wrote:2. Whenever i try to make multiple cubes, it replaces the one I already have. How do I make multiple rooms?
To move the red builder brush (the red cube), Hold down control and drag with mouse button(s). Once the cube is in position, hit the Subtract button in the left side of the editor. Hovering your mouse over buttons will display their names.
@nt wrote:3. How do I make a safespot?
Make a room without any navigation points (like pathnodes or pickups).
Be very careful with this. It's more difficult to get an easy map onto the servers since most easy maps could easily be abused or end up being boring.
@nt wrote:4. How do I change terrain to make it bumpy and mountainous?
Assuming you successfully created a new terrain (using the terrain editor), just simply change the mode to vertex editing mode in the terrain window.
If you're creating a terrain through BSP, then simply change your mode to vertex editing mode.
@nt wrote:5. How do I make a teleporter?
Go to actor class browser, go to NavigationPoint ---> SmallNavigationPoint and select teleporter. Go to your map, right click, and hit Add teleporter. Then select the teleporter, right click, go to Teleporter Properties, and adjust the properties through this link.
@nt wrote:6. How do I make trials for maps?
This question is too broad. You can make infinitely many different trials. Please be more specific in what you want to do for your trial.
@nt wrote:7. How do I make it so that map features are unlocked as the waves pass by?
Assuming you want a door to open up on a specific wave, then you'll need to place a mover. Go to either of these links for a mover tutorial: ClanDW -or- Epic Games
To get the mover to trigger on a specific wave set the properties:
Events ---> Tag = InvWave# (replace # with the corresponding wave you want it to open)
Object ---> InitialState = TriggerToggle
Note: The InvWave# feature is only available in Monster Mash. To test this offline, you'll have to type 'causeevent InvWave#' in your game console to trigger the event (replace # with the corresponding wave).
@nt wrote:8. How do I add extra features to my maps (aka. trees, buildings, stairs, tunnels,)
There are too many 'features' to describe one-by-one so I'm going to mention the ones listed.
Trees
Open Static Mesh browser, Open ArboreaHardware.usx Find your tree. Minimize static mesh browser. Right click your map. Hit Add static mesh ArboreaHardware.Organics.SomeTreeName.
Note: You are not limited to just those trees. There are many trees to choose from. Use this link to see the static mesh index.
Buildings
Either create a building using BSP, or add a premade building static mesh (look at Static mesh index).
Stairs
Either create stairs using BSP, or add a set of premade stairs static mesh into your map (look at static mesh index).
Tunnels
This is a bit too generic (Caverns or Corridors?) Either way, you can create a tunnel using BSP (for a simple connection between two rooms). Or you can creatively connect multiple static meshes together to form a detailed corridor between rooms). If you want a cavern, then it's going to be a bit tricky. Either place a lot of rock static meshes, learn how to create a terrain then flip it upside down, or create your own custom caverns using an external program (Maya, Blender, StudioMax, etc...)

Note: I didn't proofread this post since I'm a bit pressed for time. Expect some grammar mistakes.
The difference between successful people from others is
not in the lack of strength,
not in the lack of knowledge,
but rather in the lack of will.

FFE466

Thanks Ant. And for the trials, I want to make a maze that leads to a secret room where if you don't complete in a certain amount of time, you die.
I like cookies...
DW_Ant
DW Clan Member

@nt wrote:Thanks Ant. And for the trials, I want to make a maze that leads to a secret room where if you don't complete in a certain amount of time, you die.
Just make a maze of BSP brushes connected to each other.
As for the time, create a scripted trigger found in the actor class browser. Keypoint ---> AIScript ---> ScriptedSequence ---> ScriptedTrigger.
Place a scripted trigger in your map, and set the properties in the AIScript category. Fro actions, hit the Add button to add three times to add three actions.
[0]Wait For Event: What ever event you want this to trigger this script (so if you want this to start on a specific wave then set it equal to InvWave#.
[1]Wait for Timer: Duration of the trial. This is relatively close to seconds.
[2]Trigger Event: External Event that'll cause the player to teleport, kill, or whatever.
Let me know if you need more details.
The difference between successful people from others is
not in the lack of strength,
not in the lack of knowledge,
but rather in the lack of will.

FFE466