How do I reduce my UT2004 lag?

Mapmaking? Modeling? Discuss all that stuff that's too complicated for most mere mortals here.
@nt
Pro but Noob

I've noticed that in Monster Evolution, that I sometimes get these odd lag issues where the game gets a little wonky. Here are some situations that happen to my computer:

1. I appear to be running away from some monsters, and I'm taking no damage, but then my computer seems to repeat itself and go back to a certain time where I originally was, repeating the cycle over and over.

2. My character freezes in a place, and when I try to press W, A, S, or D, the whole screen shakes violently, but doesn't obscure my view too much and I don't move anywhere, I even freeze in midair. The shaking doesn't happen when I stand still though. However, I can still shoot, change weapons, and use artifacts. This also occurs in Monster Mash, and Unreal Engine 2 games like Killing Floor. (this is the main problem that I want to fix, as it happens at least 3 times every match and gets incredibly annoying)

3. I accidently hit myself with something like a rocket, or shock ball, but I don't take any damage, and go on with the game, but then usually 10-30 seconds later, I die from it, giving out the death message that I "killed" myself with.

4. On Nano Technics, I frequently die from the Laptop's teleporter. (first objective)

Anyone know how I can fix these odd lag/problems in my UT2004, especially #2? I'd greatly appreciate any answers.
I like cookies...
Blooddemon91
Killer in Training
Xfire: Blooddemon91

I believe i used to have that mid air problem on a server called Nacho and Beer. I would be running around and then get a lag spike of some kind and be stuck in mid air with a shaky screen if i tried ot move and would after about 4 seconds fall to the ground and be able to move again. On a mario map they had it was annoying as i would get teleported underneath where hte action occurs and fall to my death after the 4 seconds. I think i came to the conclusion that it was bad reception with my wireless so i switched to an ethernet and i think that solved the problem.
DW_Ant
DW Clan Member

Hello, @nt.

What fps are you running at when these things occur? Anything below 20 or above 200 may cause some unusual problems.

While in game, press F6 to view network details. Maybe your service provider can't handle all the channels, or your ping is unusually high.

Also check if you have any packetloss when these lag spikes occur. You can find this by pressing the escape menu. It's labels as P/L under your name.

Are you running wireless? Wireless and gaming is a bad combo.

@nt wrote:2. My character freezes in a place, and when I try to press W, A, S, or D, the whole screen shakes violently, but doesn't obscure my view too much and I don't move anywhere, I even freeze in midair. The shaking doesn't happen when I stand still though. However, I can still shoot, change weapons, and use artifacts. This also occurs in Monster Mash, and Unreal Engine 2 games like Killing Floor. (this is the main problem that I want to fix, as it happens at least 3 times every match and gets incredibly annoying)
This sounds like view shake. I can't run UT2004 currently to remember if you can disable that through settings or not. I'll be able to give you a proper answer next week.
@nt wrote:3. I accidently hit myself with something like a rocket, or shock ball, but I don't take any damage, and go on with the game, but then usually 10-30 seconds later, I die from it, giving out the death message that I "killed" myself with.
@self damage: Many players get upset when they trirocket themselves because someone jumped in front of them. This safety facet was added on to give you a second chance to shoot more carefully. You are protected 6 minutes after you were protected previously.
@ killed self: That occurs when the instigator dies before killing you. It's a generic death message when there's no instigator to be found. For example: this occurs when xeno acid for blood kills you, or titan rock pieces kills you (the original big rock is the instigator in this case).

@nt wrote:4. On Nano Technics, I frequently die from the Laptop's teleporter. (first objective)
This happens most likely because you fell off the ledge after entering the teleporter. Stop holding your movement keys immediately after entering the teleporter or even after hitting the jumppad to get up to the first teleporter.
The difference between successful people from others is
not in the lack of strength,
not in the lack of knowledge,
but rather in the lack of will.

FFE466

I guess I should immediately stop using wireless then.

New Problem: I walk forward, and then it acts like as if it were a crash for a couple seconds, but it turned out I just continued walking,which usually makes me run into a bunch of queens and getting killed.
I like cookies...
DW_Ant
DW Clan Member

Sounds like a precaching issue. Precaching is where your computer is rendering the monster(s) for the first time.

This freeze has a greater impact to slower computers.
The difference between successful people from others is
not in the lack of strength,
not in the lack of knowledge,
but rather in the lack of will.

FFE466