2k4 Server Watch Beta v0.5.4

Mapmaking? Modeling? Discuss all that stuff that's too complicated for most mere mortals here.
Habulin
Camper

necro wrote: "The map has changed!"
That would be "Die Map wurde geändert!" in German and "Mapa je bila spremenljena!" in Slovene (the sentences). As well as that I managed to get my German teacher to check the spelling of the German words so they should be almost 100% right. I updated the translation file with the sentences I have writen above so you could just copy/paste them to the program code.

LP Habulin
Azmodan
1337 Haxor

Most of the german translations are accurate. Just think that if you translate "player" you should translate "map" as well, just added that in a forth column but the lines are somehow fucked up on my screen, keeps adding it 2 lines lower then I want it to be so maybe Habulin can edit that into his own and delete mine.

"Minimize to system tray" can be discribed with "Im Hintergrund weiterlaufen lassen" I guess, which, translated back into English would become "Continue to run process in the background". So if that is what it means you can use it.

And "A"rtificial "I"ntelligence becomes "K"ünstliche "I"ntelligenz in german.
Habulin
Camper

Azmodan wrote:if you translate "player" you should translate "map" as well,
The problem is Map means Karte in German, but Karte means more like a world map than a "game world". That's why I didn't translate it and I thought that most German players/everyone should understand the meaning of map.
A good example for the use of "Map" in German gaming language is the sentence:
""Array ist eine Multiplayer Map aus Call of Duty: Black Ops."" which is used in a official COD:BO wiki.
The link to it: http://de.call-of-duty.wikia.com/wiki/Array
Azmodan wrote:"Minimize to system tray" can be discribed with "Im Hintergrund weiterlaufen lassen" I guess, which, translated back into English would become "Continue to run process in the background". So if that is what it means you can use it.
I though about that aswell, but the problem is that running in the background doesen't really fit in for system tray. We could use your version aswell as both seem fairy correct.
Azmodan wrote:And "A"rtificial "I"ntelligence becomes "K"ünstliche "I"ntelligenz in german.
The meaning of AI should be known to everyone as far as I know. When someone would see "KI Spieler" they would probably just get confused from it. I thought about just adding (Bot) example [ Alexs(Bot)] at the end would really simplify it aswell, but that would be akward.

I thank you for your help and the advice Azmodan.

PS: Necro, do you have any backup from the docs file? I don't want to say that you are maybe careless, but that someone who is in a bad mood could just simply overwrite all the text that we already translated to be a jerk. Just a quick note :P.

LP Habulin
(Yes, LP indeed means Lep Pozdrav in our language which means Good day) :salute:
necro
Killer in Training

Habulin wrote:PS: Necro, do you have any backup from the docs file? I don't want to say that you are maybe careless, but that someone who is in a bad mood could just simply overwrite all the text that we already translated to be a jerk. Just a quick note :P
Yep, I work in IT, so backups are fundamental for me... However google documents automatically versions all changes so I can always go back if anyone messes with it (accidentally or otherwise).
Azmodan
1337 Haxor

Habulin wrote: The problem is Map means Karte in German, but Karte means more like a world map than a "game world". That's why I didn't translate it and I thought that most German players/everyone should understand the meaning of map.
Exactly, it means Karte. And when I am playing stuff like CS or so with a few friends, we ask: "Können wir nicht die Karte wechseln?" which means "can't we switch the map?"
In German you use "Karte" for any worldmap, game map, or even for memory sticks of cameras. Credit cards are also "Kredit Karten". It is just a word that lives from the context around it.
"which map do we play next?" -> "Welche Karte spielen wir als nächstes"

And of course every German gamer understands when you talk about maps, but they also understand all the other stuff listed by Necro, so if you really gonna do a translation I would do it for all the stuff and not leave out some of the terms. And please don't get me wrong, you really did a great job with almost all the translations.

http://www.xboxdome.de/news-id6281-call ... fernt.html
Here an article about the "Mehrspieler-Karte" favela.
Just because a wiki, that doesn't more to say then 1 sentence to most maps or weapons doesn't use the right translation, doesn't mean there is none.

on the system tray: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benachrichtigungsfeld
I guess "Infrobereich" would fit better then my last idea^^
Habulin wrote:The meaning of AI should be known to everyone as far as I know. When someone would see "KI Spieler" they would probably just get confused from it. I thought about just adding (Bot) example [ Alexs(Bot)] at the end would really simplify it aswell, but that would be akward.
You are right there is no such think as a "KI Spieler", that is the bot itself. There is no real translation for a bot that I know of either so we Germans use it as well. But I also think you are confusing the AI and the bot a bit. In my understanding the AI is the behavior of all non human stuff in a game (In German game reviews refered to as KI), while the bot is just a part of its appearance.
DW_Ant
DW Clan Member

Can it be translated into binary?
The difference between successful people from others is
not in the lack of strength,
not in the lack of knowledge,
but rather in the lack of will.

FFE466

Azmodan wrote:And please don't get me wrong, you really did a great job with almost all the translations.
You did a good job on research, I switched the translations to yours. Again, thank you for your help and advice. I appreciate it.
DW_Ant wrote:Can it be translated into binary?
Do you mean the sentences? I think that there could be a problem with the use of ö ä ü š č ž ect. If you just want the English to binary translations they can be done, I just don't know how to. I would have to ask my UPN teacher. Maybe Azmond would know how to do that.

LP Habulin
Azmodan
1337 Haxor

Karte = 01001011 01100001 01110010 01110100 01100101
You mean like that?

The Ä Ö and Ü can be exchanged with Ae, Oe and Ue, since this isn't the first time German language hits ASCII although the ASCII extension can manage the ä,ü and ö. ß becomes ss, just for info.

The other stuff maybe has another ASCII extension in the respective language.

And I always suspected that Ant's brain doesn't comprehend anything but 0s and 1s. Maybe a 2 every once in a while?
Azmodan
1337 Haxor

Had another idea. When the watcher is attached to the tray, it notifies you about every new map that comes up with a little speech bubble.
How about adding, that when you click on those messages it automatically opens the watcher window again?
necro
Killer in Training

Azmodan wrote:Had another idea. When the watcher is attached to the tray, it notifies you about every new map that comes up with a little speech bubble.
How about adding, that when you click on those messages it automatically opens the watcher window again?

Yep! The next released version will have the change applied. I'd even go so far as to call it a bug instead of a feature. That's a user interaction that most people would expect.