How and where do i upload maps?

Here's a specific forum for discussing potential maps, maps that need a vacation and optimizations and modifications for better playability.
Nelsoncarmo26
1337 Haxor
Xfire: QuantumEquilibrium

Hi, I moved the cube further, and it helped for the walls, it looks like a proper scenery... however top and bottoms still look like a cube.

What am I doing wrong?
[glow=red]Website[/glow] - [glow=red]ModDB[/glow]
DW_Ant
DW Clan Member

Can you check the Z-axis (height) for the skybox?

Is it the same height with the map?
The difference between successful people from others is
not in the lack of strength,
not in the lack of knowledge,
but rather in the lack of will.

FFE466

Hi,
I've resolved the problem... only took me half an hour... but I've done it.
The images needed to be fliped up, and then re adjusted through manual aligning to match the rest of the scenery.

I have now completed the map, and this is how I would like it to be played.

Bare in mind, that I play on this server a lot, and players allways demand safe spots, otherwize people don't vote for that map.

I know you guys don't want people hidding.
However there are allways new players, and low level players that make up the majority of the server users, and they allways demand safe places and quite a substancial amount of health, shields and adrenaline.

So on this basis, I present version 3 of Soul's Temple.

Here is the link:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/1udq9n
DW_Ant
DW Clan Member

Nelsoncarmo26 wrote:Bare in mind, that I play on this server a lot, and players allways demand safe spots, otherwize people don't vote for that map.
One of the challenge of being mapper is taking the criticism and what you'll do with it. You are the captain of your boat, and you are the one who chooses which words to follow.
Although difficulty in the map does play a major factor in what people favor, but you ought to think what do they truely think. Most of the newcomers view maps as xp potential. They could care less how detailed your map is, and they only view maps that'll help their character level. It'll take much bribing to get their appreciation.

Then you got the folks that already seen these maps again and again and again. They don't criticize maps by difficulty as intensely, but they focus more on the true aspects (eye candy, layout, balance, etc) in what makes a map, a 2k4 map.

There are two paths to follow, and it's up to you which to follow, not me.

By the way, your fakebackdrop is not tall enough for your ONS target painter to work outdoors.

FFE466

Xfire: KarmaKat

Nelsoncarmo26 wrote:.....
I have now completed the map, and this is how I would like it to be played.

Bare in mind, that I play on this server a lot, and players allways demand safe spots, otherwize people don't vote for that map.

I know you guys don't want people hidding.
However there are allways new players, and low level players that make up the majority of the server users, and they allways demand safe places and quite a substancial amount of health, shields and adrenaline.

So on this basis, I present version 3 of Soul's Temple.....

Hello again, Nelson!

I've downloaded your newest version...haven't given it a run through yet, but I will later tonight. I just wanted to mention again that we appreciate all new maps, but that we also have guidelines and standards...please read:
http://www.clandw.org/forums/11/1242.html

All maps that are submitted to our servers go through this process. And there is almost always some give and take involved between the map's creator and our reviewers. :) Communicating ideas effectively, accepting input and continuing to participate in lively discussions are what's keeping our gaming community thriving! I'm looking forward to seeing what your creativity will unleash!

DW>KarmaKat
Karma...a term that comprises the entire cycle of cause & effect...
Kat...a supercilious quadrupedal pile of fur that doesn´t give a flying fig for Karma...
Nelsoncarmo26
1337 Haxor

Thanks very much,
I just want one of my maps to be played online.

You just tell me what to do, and changes you want to be made in the map and I'll do it.

I thought about the painters, and I'm going to replace them with a rocket launcher and a Flak canon.
I am also going to make a few other small changes.

Is there any other things you think should be changed in the map?

About the mine layers:
There are two available, but on the later waves, players aren't able to stand on those platforms, since the monsters attacks are far to great and can kill a player instantly, so they have to move out of that spot and roam around.

About the top room:
I tested that too, and it's impossible to shoot mines from a safe distance, since the opening is to long for the mines to fall down through it.
Players will have to stand near the opening, which will also make the vunerable to monster attacks.

About the tunnels:
I didn't put any pickups there, so players don't hang around idling in the tunnels, and to make poits they have to move out and face the monsters.

See?
I did take everything you saied into consideration, while taking into consideration the players demands too.

Everywhere else is just open space where players will have to rely on their skill to survive, which is what invasion is all about.

Well, just let me know about the changes.

Thanks again.
Nelsoncarmo26
1337 Haxor

Hi again,have you guys checked my map?

Could you make a list of changes you want made?
So I can make the final version of the map.

I already changed the painter weapons.
I excluded them off the map.
I added weapons and some pick ups on the outside parts of the map, so players can go outside, or if they spawn outside they can access them.

what else was there?
DW_Ant
DW Clan Member

From Comparing and Contrasting the two maps, we are leaning towards the Command and Conquer. The visual appeal to this map is more catchy than the Egyptian themed, SoulTemple. There's more to look at, the skybox is relevant, and the lighting is easier to everyone's eyes.

However there are several issues to address for this map.

------------------
Visual Problems
------------------

The bunkers above the doorways outside, are one sided. Looking up onto the bunker, you can easily see through the floor. A simple cover up for that will do the trick.

The lighting in some rooms are a bit too bright. The bright green room and the bright ceiling room may blind some people. You can dim the light bulbs (simply decrease the light brightness in the light color properties)

------------
Gameplay
------------
In the outdoors with the boxes, you can be completely safe when you jump on the fence wall and walk behind the boxes, you may fall down into that small gap and be completely safe from monsters. A blocking volume will solve this easy problem.

While on the collision topic, there are several static meshes that needs patching with collision.
The miniguns outdoors doesn't detect collision at all.
The collision on the rays around the core in the middle needs to be disabled. It acts like an invisible wall that just gets in the way of the gameplay. Simply set everything to false in the collision category for this static mesh (not the core, just the rays).

---------
Balance
---------
This is ought to be the largest issue with this map.
First off, you don't need multiple sets of three fast spawning adrenaline pills in each room. Not only it's unecessary, but it also triples the channel count to the servers. When the server has high channel counts the player will get packet loss and lag...You don't want that.
Simply replace the sets of three adrenaline into one medium adren pill. It will also be beneficial to your map simply by reducing the quantity of adren as well.

Another thing is the excessive use of super shield, health kegs, and double damage in every single room! I understand that you may want good pickups in all rooms (to encourage exploration/migration), but I have an idea in what you could do.
It also seems there's in issue of placing every single weapon in all lockers. Why not remove most of the super shield power ups and place weapon bases of a certain weapon as a substitute. So in the green room, you may replace the super shield and health keg with the flak cannon. In the room across, you may replace the super shield and health keg with the link gun. In the room underneath, you may replace the super shield and health keg with the rocket launcher, and across from that room you may replace the super shield and health keg with the shock rifle....

Just by patching the gameplay will greatly enhance your chances in getting your map onto the server. I would prioritize the balance, but patching the gameplay and visual appeal will be terrific!

Don't let me discourage you from your mapping experience. You have great potential, and I was pleased to see the improvements from SoulTemple to Command and Conquer. Several of us complimented you about the detail and usage of static meshes in this map. We did run the map twice since we wanted a better glance at the visual aspect of the map. Keep up the great work, patch up the issues mentioned above, and I'm pretty confident you'll see this map on the servers!

FFE466

Thanks for the review and feedback Ant.
I will crack on with the changes and upload soon.

thanks.
JulianKingOfNothing
1337 Haxor
Xfire: dont remember

Oh, I see, it's a see trough sphinx.

1.If you go to the sphinx's feet, or crotch, you can see trough it.
2.The brightness on the two camp spots is to high.
3.I really like the map you made, very nice detailed. But I fear it's gonna be another Trainstation, low levels who camp mines all over the place. At trainstation, they were up high, so the mines exploded mostly before reaching the ground, but here theres not gonna be any monsters left for the players. So I'd say add path-nodes there to.
4. Really nice work on the map, its gonna be a lot of fun to play it for real. Especially if its ur first map.