How and where do i upload maps?

Here's a specific forum for discussing potential maps, maps that need a vacation and optimizations and modifications for better playability.
DW_KarmaKat
Site Admin
Xfire: KarmaKat

DW_Bomzin wrote:[offtopic]So how and were do I upload maps ? Lol haven't checked this thread in awhile, looks like some good info , maybe we should rename it , to lazy to read all of this , so what we talking about anyhow?[/offtopic]

Well...it started out with the question about where to send maps for review...and it's wandered off topic and into specific discussions about Nelson Carmo's maps! ;D

KKat

:flower:
Karma...a term that comprises the entire cycle of cause & effect...
Kat...a supercilious quadrupedal pile of fur that doesn´t give a flying fig for Karma...
Nelsoncarmo26
1337 Haxor
Xfire: QuantumEquilibrium

DW_Bomzin wrote:[offtopic]So how and were do I upload maps ? Lol haven't checked this thread in awhile, looks like some good info , maybe we should rename it , to lazy to read all of this , so what we talking about anyhow?[/offtopic]
Well, I'm using the thread to post my maps here, so they can be tested for the server.

I have some spare time in my hands at the moment, so I have been doing a lot of maps to play on the server, and these guys (Ant, Karma Kat, and brain Pan) are reviewing them to let me know what changes needs doing before it actually goes online.

Where's Ant by the way?
Haven't seen him in a while.
[glow=red]Website[/glow] - [glow=red]ModDB[/glow]
DW_Ant
DW Clan Member

Here's the entire timeline of this topic:

1. Nelson created a map and posted a link.
2. First testing results: Little excessive on the channel count, excessive on powerups, poor weapon placements and it was a bit small for mine layers.
3. Nelson immediately worked on his map for some upgrades. He encountered a few smearing issues with his skybox. His commitment never weakened, and he figured out his skybox problem.
4. He had another beta ready to go, and considered everything that was mentioned from the previous test.
5. Second testing results: The two maps were too similar from each other, C&C had some visual, gameplay, and balancing problems.
6. To fix the adren problem, he needed to know how to copy the multi adren pills into his map.
7. To fix the one sided bunker issue, there's a simple introduction to the 2D editor.
8. In the meantime, Nelson created a new map called, 4Seasons. Unfortunately, the concept was already done.
9. Despite this minor setback, Nelson was able to make Soul Temple different enough from C&C
10. Third testing results: Mostly some simple collision problems. There's a minor tutorial in how to undo simplified collision so players don't hide inside the static mesh.
11. Fourth testing results: Some more simplified collision problems with some other minor issues.
12. C&C was approved! And at the same time, we had the wrong copy of Soul Temple.
13. C&C was a success online. Nelson also created a new map called Vice City.
14. Nelson was working on Jungle Strike. In a different topic, he successfully figured out how to make the turrets work, and his new map draws nearer to completion.
15. Due to size problems, he Vice City and Jungle Strike should be an ONS map instead of Inv.
16. Karma found out in Soul Temple that his teleporter emitters do not work online.
17. Nelson is encountering some difficulty in converting a DM into an ONS along with some bot vehicle pathing.
18. There are several tutorials and links in how to work out some emitters, terrain, ONS radar, and movers.
19. Unfortunately, it's not possible to make the Jungle Strike turrets trigger for specific team colors.
20. Nelson got another copy of Soul Temple, but at the same time, he found some errors in his log, he also found some unneeded static meshes saved into his mylevel package.
21. Brain shared some of his ideas in fixing the radar problem for Jungle Strike.
22. Bomzin waken from the dead and wondered what facts are in this thread.
23. Nelson declared this topic as his map thread ^.^
24. To simplify things in this thread, I've placed the entire thread into a single timeline.

Nelsoncarmo26 wrote:Where's Ant by the way?
Haven't seen him in a while.
I'm here. BrainPan is more experienced with ONS maps than I am so I think it'll be best that he answers the radar issues rather than me.
As for Soul Temple, I think we'll take another look at it some time this weekend ;)

Edit:
Soul Temple looks good.
Keep your eyes peeled for it on the servers :)
The difference between successful people from others is
not in the lack of strength,
not in the lack of knowledge,
but rather in the lack of will.

FFE466

Hey guys.
I just played Soul Temple on the server.
Looking good, but a few people complaint that the map was too hard to beat.

We did win,

...but then again you know that some players allways complain about maps being too hard all the time.
Nelsoncarmo26
1337 Haxor

Brainpan, any updates about the 2 Onslaught maps I've uploaded?

Do you think they wil be put on the server soon?
DW_KarmaKat
Site Admin
Xfire: KarmaKat

Hello!

Following the guidelines below when you're making a new map will greatly speed up the process of testing and evaluating your work! This applies to everyone who maps for the DW servers! Help us to help you!

1) Please don't make map packs! Each map should be packed separately and should only include the map and any custom content files that pertain to that specific map. When you lump multiple maps together, it not only makes for a larger, lengthy download (a burden on those who don't have fast connections and/or limited hard drive capacity) it also muddles the record keeping process (how we keep organized the different versions of maps while they're "in progress").

2) Any time you make a map revision, you need to be sure and give it
a different version name! In order to get maps onto servers, the files must reside in several different places which means they must be changed/deleted each time there's an update. By not giving each version a unique name, the process of moving files is impeded and you are making extra work for those involved.

3) To keep things organized...and visible!...you should make a new topic in this forum for EACH map. When you start a new map, start a new topic...in the subject line, start it with the map type...ONS or DM or whatever, followed by the map name (see Sanchez's post for ONS Avalanche for example). You don't necessarily need to start a new topic for revisions of each map, but having a starting point clearly labelled will be helpful for you, everyone that's giving you a hand with questions and the server admins who do the work of getting stuff where it needs to be for testing and live server gameplay. Everyone who browses the forums will benefit by being able to click on a readily identifiable topic rather than having to sift and sort through a lengthy thread looking for a specific map reference.

The volume of submissions we've been receiving makes these guidelines more than just a request. It's vital that data is organized, otherwise admin's brains may leap from their skulls with explosive force!
:sgiggle:

How about starting two new topics for each of your ONS maps? I'm hoping that now we're through the Thanksgiving holiday we can gather up some testers this week!

KKat

:flower:
Karma...a term that comprises the entire cycle of cause & effect...
Kat...a supercilious quadrupedal pile of fur that doesn´t give a flying fig for Karma...
Nelsoncarmo26
1337 Haxor

Sure thing karma, will do.