Please help with path nodes...

Here's a specific forum for discussing potential maps, maps that need a vacation and optimizations and modifications for better playability.
Nelsoncarmo26
1337 Haxor
Xfire: QuantumEquilibrium

Please help with path nodes...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am making my second map, since my first map is on version 5 now, and I encountered a problem.

While putting shelves static meshes up, and trying to put adrenaline, ammo and health on them... shelves... I got an error after I rebuild that states there are no paths from the pick up objects.

So I added a path node right on top of it, rebuilt again and then states that the path node can't go on there.

What am I doing wrong here?
Why wont the items sit on the shelves just nice without errors?

I mean... isn't why the shelves static meshes are for? ... to put pickups in them?

I have seen a map online with shelves and pickups on them and the map is obviously working fine... so why isn't mine?
DW_Ant
DW Clan Member

That message is simply saying that bots will not be able to pickup the ammo. Since you're mapping for invasion, you just need to treat pathnodes as monster's intelligence and spawn points.
The difference between successful people from others is
not in the lack of strength,
not in the lack of knowledge,
but rather in the lack of will.

FFE466

As Ant said, the pickups in Invasion are intended for human players, so they do not need to have paths to them (i.e. the bots/monsters do not need to get to them so they do not need paths to get there). You just need to make sure that the players can physically get to the pickups (i.e. make sure they are not too far back on the shelves or under a low overhang where the players can't physically get to).

Similarly, if you had a demer pickup that was up on a high ledge (so players had to trans or fly to get it) you would not need to worry that there are no paths to this secluded pickup.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world. Those who read binary, and everyone else.
4013 is only a FAD
And 2989? Well that's just BAD
JulianKingOfNothing
1337 Haxor
Xfire: dont remember

Do you have to add path nodes to a MMA-inv-server
DW_Ant
DW Clan Member

Yup. Not only they signal the monsters where to go, but also each path node is treated as a spawn. If you don't have path nodes then the monsters will spawn only at the player starts. That rate will be too slow for the monsters to spawn, the players will be bored, and the map becomes very dull.

I recommend you place a hundred pathnodes the minimum for any map. If you have a small map, then you'll need to position the nodes very densely.

FFE466

That's the problem though, i tested the map and i can't get the pick ups... never mind the bots.

This is what I came up with...

I went to the shelves properties>collision, and modified some of the properties and kept trying diferent things.

The following set up works, but you can also go throught the shelves:

Block Actors = false
Block Karma = false
Collide Actors = false
Path Colliding = false
Proj Target = false
Use Cylinder Collision = false

Now, is there a way to modify some of these to make you be able to pickup the items without going through the shelves?
[glow=red]Website[/glow] - [glow=red]ModDB[/glow]
DW_WailofSuicide
DW Clan Member

If you can't get to the pickups, then there is
(a) Not enough room for you to fit on top of your shelves (Low ceiling)
(b) Poor collision defined for the shelves. use blocking volumes instead.
DW_Ant
DW Clan Member

If you can't pickup the items because you are not over the pickups then you'll need to increase the collision radius of the pickups so you can be near it to pick it up.

To visually see the collision detection of the items, right click the gray area of your main viewport (next to the view modes), go to mode, click on radii mode. Every time you select an actor, you'll see this outlined cylinder that'll show the collision of the selected item(s).

FFE466

Thanks Ant, and the collision radius is in the properties?

I assume that's where I change it?
[glow=red]Website[/glow] - [glow=red]ModDB[/glow]
DW_Ant
DW Clan Member

Nelsoncarmo26 wrote:Thanks Ant, and the collision radius is in the properties?

I assume that's where I change it?
You may increase the collision radius through the pickup's properties ---> collision category.

FFE466