My Map

Here's a specific forum for discussing potential maps, maps that need a vacation and optimizations and modifications for better playability.
{LE}Leon
Killer in Training
Xfire: thechosenhelldemon

Hiya moderator people,
i made a map,
were can i upload it to the server or do you need to see it first?
if so how can i hand it over to you?
{LE}Leon
Limited Edition but always in storage at MonsterMash server 1 :D
i raised from dust and i shall become dust..... but in the meantime i shall KICK SOME ASS!!!!!
JulianKingOfNothing
1337 Haxor
Xfire: dont remember

Ima take over the mods work, because they are bussy people, with real jobs, unlike me :( :sbigsmile: ..

First You have to upload ur map to filefront
Or Send the map to karmakat@spamvikings.org

The map wil undergo some seriousely hard testing probably on the weekends. :blackeye:
{LE}Leon
Killer in Training

okay ill do that ty
{LE}Leon
i raised from dust and i shall become dust..... but in the meantime i shall KICK SOME ASS!!!!!
DW_Ant
DW Clan Member

[inside joke]Not everyone can be Hornet.[/inside joke]
If you don't feel like reading much, you could jump to the last section that's divided by a line.

Going straight to the point:
  • Visual
    Texturing
  • The textures are too bright. They burn our eyes.
  • 3 of the 4 question mark surfaces backwards. If you would open the surface properties--->Pan/Rot/Scale tab ---> Flip U (this will flip your texture horizontally)
    Atmosphere
  • It appears as if you unlit everything in this map, but placing light bulbs greatly enhance your atmosphere. I would recommend some lighting.
  • When you place static meshes or sheet brushes right over each other, they will start flickering. Always be sure to displace these actors by one uu minimum to prevent this.
  • The multiple layers of sheets is necessary to bury your secret room. Once they pass through one, they will find the rest.
    Objects
  • Generally a box doesn't quite do the job in creating an environment. It wouldn't hurt to decorate your map with static meshes and other useful details to build a theme.
  • Some of the monsters placed upstairs are halfway through the ground. Did you test this on your local machine?
  • Gameplay
    Collision
  • The two floating ships in the middle of the room doesn't have any collision. It's a bit annoying to trans up there, then fall through that, killing yourself through fall damage.
  • In your secret room, there's an invisible blocking volume smack in the middle.
  • The tiles spelling your name are displaced from the wall. I think it may be better to disable their collision to prevent people from looking like standing in mid air.
    Misc
  • Having five sets of six adren pills increases unneeded channel counts. I would advise replacing the mini adren into a multi adren pill.
  • The placed monsters in the secret room causes the monsters not to time-out between waves. That being the case, the existing monsters will not time out, new players will spawn, the monsters kill them, low levels don't have a chance, they get upset, monster level jumps up, high levels have a hard time, they camp in the upstairs for 45 minutes, dead players wait in boredom, luci wave comes, monsters don't time out, seekers kill players, no one gains any benefits, the match will end with many upset people.
  • The placed monsters don't attack anyone, they just sit there. We don't believe in free experience.
Every mapper's first map is always a learning experience. I'll congratulate you for accomplishing this step where many did not reach. Unfortunately, I think there will be more work and time needed to correct this map rather than spending the effort on a new project. I highly recommend you to check out the maps already on the server. Gather a theme, a style, and an idea for your next project. You will know when to start working the moment you are inspired.

In the meantime, I want to point to you some topics of Map Submission Guidelines and some Mapper's ReadMe forum topics to get you the general idea in what we are looking for.[/color]
The difference between successful people from others is
not in the lack of strength,
not in the lack of knowledge,
but rather in the lack of will.

FFE466

Xfire: KarmaKat

Leon,

Thank you for taking the time to dip your toes into the mapper's pool. We had a look at your map tonight and DW>Ant was kind enough to write up our notes and comments. Please don't let this discourage you! A lot of people who open the editor never get this far through the process of making a map. You've taken some good first steps and I hope you'll continue to learn how to use UTEd. There are tons of resources out there to help...and some very good ones within the community here. Read some more and don't be shy about asking questions. Observation can help you too. Spectate some of the classic maps on the servers...DM-Manifest, DM-Akbal, DM-Pathogen, DM-Fiji and others. There's themes...lighting...z axis gameplay, unique textures and meshes...a whole host of things to make a map playable, interesting and fun. :)

KKat

:flower:
Karma...a term that comprises the entire cycle of cause & effect...
Kat...a supercilious quadrupedal pile of fur that doesn´t give a flying fig for Karma...
{LE}Leon
Killer in Training

@ ant: ty for all tips but i have few responses:
i don't think you found my secret room did you?
cuz in my secret room here is a lot of adren at 1 point and i tried it myself it worked fine.
you only been up to the highest point of the level right? there are all the monsters and i agree i should remove them free xp sucks.
the invisible box at the upper room is used to put in a lucifer. it was a mistake first i used it as teleport center. but that didnt worked out wuit well so i put a luci in there to let it look a bit more fun.

and karmakat i promise i won't get uncouriged ;)
in fact i used ant's forum my first map... or whatever it's called ;)
{LE}Leon
DW_Ant
DW Clan Member

{LE}Leon wrote:i don't think you found my secret room did you?
cuz in my secret room here is a lot of adren at 1 point and i tried it myself it worked fine.
I guess that wasn't then. Next time I'll search harder for your hidden room ;)

It's good to hear you have a strong will. You seem far a better mapper than I've given credit to you. Are you planning on fixing this map or starting a new one? Whatever that may be, I'm looking onto your next project.

FFE466

im fixing the map and it looks great i think :D
now i made a duel ring with some path nodes for monster spawn and i fixed all those things you said were wrong
{LE}Leon
{LE}Leon
Killer in Training

@DUDES:
im srry f i sound like an egoïst but,
have you already tested my map?? if so whats the result i'd like to know

thank you
{LE}Leon
DW_Ant
DW Clan Member

Oh thanks for the reminder. Lots of things to keep in mind with the new updates, monsters, etc...
Sorry about that.

I doubt that I'll be able to make with the testing group before Thanksgiving break comes around, but I'll be sure to take a look at it before I leave ;)

FFE466