DM-SteamTunnel-MM (my invasion map)

Here's a specific forum for discussing potential maps, maps that need a vacation and optimizations and modifications for better playability.
EricJ2190

I made a map for Monster Mash invasion. Please take a look, and let me know what you think of it. I am fairly new to mapping, but I really like how this one turned out.

http://www.filefront.com/15719349/DM-St ... el-MM.ut2/
DW_Ant
DW Clan Member

First off, I'll congratulate you in passing through a difficult step in completing your first map.

Unfortunately, this map is lacking visual appeal and gameplay.

For a start, I think it would like to see use of different textures (please don't only use textures only from Humanoid Architecture)
Another facet to look at is the flow of the map. Just by playing this map for two seconds, I can already visualize the mass link spam and lengthy link chains going on throughout this map.

To begin a map, I would first recommend coming up with a unique theme. What will make your map different from others?
Then plan out the gameplay and the flow of the map.
Then execute your plans and decorate it. Use diverse textures, detailed BSP brushes, etc...

For further assistance, you can check out this link to help you get started: Planning Tutorial
Note: Don't have to read the entire post, just the planning section will get you started ;)
The difference between successful people from others is
not in the lack of strength,
not in the lack of knowledge,
but rather in the lack of will.

FFE466

Thanks for the feedback! I read through the Planning Tutorial. Hopefully I will be able to come up with something with much better flow. I can definitely see now where my map is lacking in that area.
DW_KarmaKat
Site Admin
Xfire: KarmaKat

Eric!

I give creds to anybody who'll take the time to brave Unreal Ed. :D DW>Ant pretty much summed up all our comments when we play-tested your map. I'll just add that in addition to playability (flow), maps should have eye appeal (use of interesting textures and/or objects) and should spark the curiosity of players. Don't forget to think in 3 dimensions...too often we see maps that don't take into consideration Z axis gameplay. Map making is as much art as it is science..you're off to a good start!

KKat

:flower:
Karma...a term that comprises the entire cycle of cause & effect...
Kat...a supercilious quadrupedal pile of fur that doesn´t give a flying fig for Karma...