Invasion Map Pack

Here's a specific forum for discussing potential maps, maps that need a vacation and optimizations and modifications for better playability.
Lazy_Eye

I've seen my version of nein modded and re-named on the server so I thought I'd try adjusting some of my other remakes. Perhaps some of them are worth using.

http://www.mediafire.com/?1b2fb461a1ejca9
DW_WailofSuicide
DW Clan Member

Looking forward to getting a chance to look at the new maps.
DW_WailofSuicide
DW Clan Member

Hey.
Spent a good couple of hours looking at some of your maps. Thanks for taking the time to work on these and submit them. Overall I thought they rocked and were really cool.
Here are some of my notes on the maps we tested tonight.

Slaughter Alley - Looks good.
I'd like it if the left side door (propped open with the tub) were a mover that opened up like the other side. Also, the fence that blocks off the interior part of that one should go (IMO). That part will be too easy to camp if entirely blocked off like it currently is.

Testing Facility - Really liked this one visually.
In the outer area, the tree branches/leaves should have collision turned off. (I don't know if the tree trunk is part of the same static mesh, but if it is, you'll need to add some blocking volumes around the tree trunk if you do).
The ammo pickups on the wall should not be real pickups, just use the static mesh to give the illusion of there being lots of pickups, and have one or two real ones.

{Dark}LOZ-LMOD
I really like the interior section of this level. Pretty cool look that is very reminiscent of Zelda in a 3D environment.
Criticisms: The exterior area is too big, in my opinion. I think you should block off almost everything up the hill. in addition, the skybox is a weaker part of the map. I would prefer if the skybox were just a simple blue sky (or a standard UT sky).
The teleporter between the interior and exterior sections of the map is liable to breaking. You need to place a blocking volume set with the Class Blocker property to block class'Monster' around the teleporters. If the teleporter breaks the map becomes much less playable, so it's important that this be done.
Reduce the amount of ammo pickups around the weapons, currently it seems like there's 6 around each weapon. 2-3 should suffice.
Also please remove the Dark clan from the name and logo from the map.

The Nest
Too many redeemer pickups, and the redeemer locker should be removed. Also recommended to slow down the respawn time of the health vials in the room a bit.
For the sets of 5 adren along the catwalks, I'd recommend putting a single larger adrenaline pill, to reduce the channels on the map.

Four Corners of Color
Aesthetics of this map are a big improvement. Really liked what you did with it.
You definitely need an anti-camping volume in the secret room. Far too easy to camp in there currently.
Reduce the number of pickups around the map in general. 2 ammo pickups per weapon is fine. Reduce the number of adrenaline pills by using larger adren pills.

Watch Your Back
Cool what you did with this one. There are some criticisms I have that I think could improve the map.
First off, it'd be nice to have the locker outside of the defensive structure. I also think it'd be nice to have a pillar or obelisk in the middle of the big flat part to dodge around. I'd also recommend to take one or two weapons out of the locker and put them on each side.
Second, the blocking volumes seem to really constrict the playable area of the map. I'd like to be able to walk up to the samurai statue, for example, and I think it'd make it more interesting.
It also seems like there are no monster pathnodes placed around the map. I would add some so monsters are more aggressive.
Turn collision off on plant static meshes. Add an anti camping volume into the secret room.

Nuclear Extermination
Too many secret areas that are disconnected from the main map where players can camp out without risk. Need to remove some of these and add anti-camping volumes to remaining ones.
Remove redeemer locker from secret room from center. In general reduce the number of ammo pickups.
Lazy_Eye

Thanks for taking the time to look over and review the maps. I took into consideration all of the suggestions and in the areas I didn't completely comply I think I made a nice compromise. I have excluded Watch your back and LOZ as changing them will take a bit more time. Also I was wondering about your suggestions to add monster spawn points? Is this another user scripted function like the anti-camp volume or were you referring to something else? If so could you refer a map using this.

MapsLMOD-B -
http://www.mediafire.com/?94nwbhm1td8bce7

Also I'm having trouble logging into the forums. The only way I'm able to login and post is by clicking the forgot password option and have a new one sent to my email. Once logged in I've tried to change the pass hoping it will stick but am unable to because it doesn't recognize the pass just given to me nor any of my other past ones. The next time I try to log in with the one given it seems to have expired and no longer works. If you please could a forum administrator assign a password to my user login and email it to me?
DW_KarmaKat
Site Admin
Xfire: KarmaKat

Lazy_Eye wrote:.....
Also I'm having trouble logging into the forums. The only way I'm able to login and post is by clicking the forgot password option and have a new one sent to my email. Once logged in I've tried to change the pass hoping it will stick but am unable to because it doesn't recognize the pass just given to me nor any of my other past ones. The next time I try to log in with the one given it seems to have expired and no longer works. If you please could a forum administrator assign a password to my user login and email it to me?
You should be good to go...email sent to your hotmail.com account. Thanks!

KKat
:flower:
Karma...a term that comprises the entire cycle of cause & effect...
Kat...a supercilious quadrupedal pile of fur that doesn´t give a flying fig for Karma...
DW_WailofSuicide
DW Clan Member

Lazy_Eye wrote:Thanks for taking the time to look over and review the maps. I took into consideration all of the suggestions and in the areas I didn't completely comply I think I made a nice compromise. I have excluded Watch your back and LOZ as changing them will take a bit more time. Also I was wondering about your suggestions to add monster spawn points? Is this another user scripted function like the anti-camp volume or were you referring to something else? If so could you refer a map using this.

MapsLMOD-B -
http://www.mediafire.com/?94nwbhm1td8bce7
Sure. Looking forward to seeing some of the maps on MM.
I looked at my previous post but didn't see anything mentioning monster spawn points. I did reference monster pathing, which just requires placing normal pathnodes for bots to navigate around. Nothing unusual though, every standard UT2004 map has them.
Lazy_Eye

I finally got around to making changes suggested for the Watch Your Back map and it ended up defeating the purpose of the map name so I changed the name to "WYB-AncientArena". I've also tacked on another remake of a frequented map back in the UI days "CrazyTransJumpers".

As for making changes to my LOZ map, that will be on the back burner for the foreseeable future as I tend to make things when inspired. Other map ideas are clouding my mind currently.

Here's the link for the two above mentioned maps,
http://www.mediafire.com/?nryoa915o1ax31w

PS, thanks for the forum assist, I hope it sticks... had to try twice to sign in this time but was faster than the previous times.