ONS- Downtown XL 2012 Final version [download available]

Here's a specific forum for discussing potential maps, maps that need a vacation and optimizations and modifications for better playability.
Sanch3z2012
Killer in Training

did some work on the chicken brothers area.

* there is a hill in the road and everything in that area is raised to match the hill.

* added a passageway for on foot players to take underneath (yellow arrow).

* catwalk can be accessed from top of new hill in road. (yellow arrow)

* added door to front of chicken brothers building and may add passageway to get to map dead center middle area.

DW_WailofSuicide
DW Clan Member

Interesting stuff, I'll have to try that out. That hill is a bit more extreme than I was suggesting but it'll definitely block LOS/Spamming, heh.
Sanch3z2012
Killer in Training

the hill was an idea I had when I first started trying to figure out how to connect the 2 maps :scool:
Sanch3z2012
Killer in Training

beta 3 download and info available in first post. I adjusted everything Wail Of Suicide mentioned.
Sanch3z2012
Killer in Training

should I continue work on this map? Not really sure what else should be done to it.
DW_KarmaKat
Site Admin
Xfire: KarmaKat

Sanch3z2012 wrote:should I continue work on this map? Not really sure what else should be done to it.
I'm going to see if I can wrangle up a few bodies this coming week to go try it out on our test server. Looking good to me so far!

KKat
:flower:
Karma...a term that comprises the entire cycle of cause & effect...
Kat...a supercilious quadrupedal pile of fur that doesn´t give a flying fig for Karma...
Habulin
Camper

Karma, might I join the test :D?

LP Habulin
Sanch3z2012
Killer in Training

Thanks Karma, if there are any changes the testers think would improve gameplay I am all ears :)
DW_WailofSuicide
DW Clan Member

Cool. I keep meaning to get around to looking at the updated version of this one but I keep forgetting. I'll be there.
DW_WailofSuicide
DW Clan Member

We took a look at this map last night, I was really pleased with the gameplay of this map. The hills definitely improve those sides IMO, and the lower side passages add another route for footsoldiers to possibly come around and outflank vehicles camping up there.

There are a couple of small issues we encountered during testing:

1. The radar map is offcenter and a bit small, and also needs a background. You probably already know this but just wanted to mention it.
2. One time during testing, at node 8, Karma encountered a Paladin that was facing the wrong way in its garage. I'm not sure exactly what happened there, but you may want to double check those vehicle spawns.
3. I also noticed a few occasions where bots decided to try driving Scorpions through those doors under the hill roads, this happened to cause some roadblocks where bots would cluster up. Not a huge issue, since it's only bots.

Overally I really liked this map. Changes are well executed and polished. Didn't notice any frame slowdowns on my computer at all. I think if you add the radar map and double check those vehicle factories are facing the right way for both teams then it's ready for release.