The DM-NeinFinal-][ mindfuck

Here's a specific forum for discussing potential maps, maps that need a vacation and optimizations and modifications for better playability.
MMA_T1mesh1fter
Pro but Noob

Ahhh Neinfinal, fun map, quite difficult. Seems there is nothing wro... wtf is that portal gun doing up there??
I'd like to know if the portal gun in this map is just there for decoration, or if it really can be picked up.
It seems to be surrounded by an invisible wall, no weapon can pierce it, same goes for players.
According to the editor, it is just a normal pickup, and the invisible walls arent even there, so you can imagine this leaves a lot of us quite confused everytime we play the map.

I am not asking for the solution(if there is a secret puzzle involved)
I am just asking if it can be picked up at all.
DW_Ant
DW Clan Member

If it's a pickup class, it can be picked up by something.

I'm excluding abstract classes and any mutators that overrides pickup queries.
The difference between successful people from others is
not in the lack of strength,
not in the lack of knowledge,
but rather in the lack of will.

FFE466

DW_Ant wrote:If it's a pickup class, it can be picked up by something.
By 'something' you mean pets? Link gun alt fire? Monsters? as for the class: It's a one-time pickup, so as you know, it does not respawn at this spot unless the person who died dropped it at a point where it cannot be retrieved.
DW_Ant wrote:I'm excluding abstract classes and any mutators that overrides pickup queries.
Easy, easy Ant:P I am not a certified editor yet, The only words of the bottom sentence I completely understand are: I'm, excluding, and, any, that and pickup:P
Can you translate the rest to understandable english?:P
DW_Ant
DW Clan Member

Not everything can pickup all pickups. For example, you cannot pickup triple damage when you already have that artifact. But someone else may be able to. In Monster Evolution there are objects where only monsters are able to interact with.

Abstract classes are classes that cannot be instantiated. (Like the ShieldPickup class). Although these classes are considered a pickup class, you cannot place them in the map. You'll have to use the subclasses (like the ShieldPack class) to place in the map instead.

FFE466

So in other words, The pickup itself exists, but cannot be picked up cause it is not placed as a subclass as it should?
Well if that is the case, does that explain the invisible walls around it?

I never actually GOT to the pickup itself, since it is surrounded by this wall, so i have no idea if i can pick it up.
The priority lies in finding out how to get to it in the first place.
høerb
Killer in Training

The pickup works fine, when u move it to another location.
Its the collision of the surrounding rocks that prevents you from reaching it.
Sokoro
Camper

I guess the mapper was some newbie and did not even test his map properly... there was hardly any quality control on maps for MM. Maybe you should look for better server.
I made an AM character just to be able to use electromagnet in safe spots with 500 adrenaline and rejuvation weapon +5
MMA_T1mesh1fter
Pro but Noob

høerb wrote:The pickup works fine, when u move it to another location.
Its the collision of the surrounding rocks that prevents you from reaching it.
Now that is finally the clear answer I was looking for, Thank you!
Sokoro wrote:I guess the mapper was some newbie and did not even test his map properly... there was hardly any quality control on maps for MM. Maybe you should look for better server.
Hardly any quality control? Most maps work fine, actually, besides this there is only 1 other map with a problem and that is Geomitry, where one of the teleporters randomly stops working as the map progresses.
As for the server itself, besides being a bit outdated due to lack of updates, it still is one of the best and most fun servers around, even though evolution has me hooked at this moment(shame it doesn't work).
DW_Ant
DW Clan Member

Sokoro wrote:I guess the mapper was some newbie and did not even test his map properly... there was hardly any quality control on maps for MM. Maybe you should look for better server.
Man I thought our comments were mean. Usually stating some simple comments is enough to discourage mappers from continuing their work.

Just look at DM-Vapor for example.

FFE466

Xfire: KarmaKat

The mapper was definitely NOT some newbie.

I can't begin to count the thousands of hours DW has spent answering questions, making suggestions for improvements, creating maps of our own and play testing submitted maps. Perhaps you should be the one looking for a different place to play? Or even better, perhaps YOU should be making extraordinary maps instead of making uninformed comments about Monster Mash?

We have a thorough vetting process and play test maps many times before they see the light of day on the server. Are they perfect? We try, but we =are= human. Do players find problems after a map is live? Sometimes. But when maps do go live, we know we've done everything we can to get the map into a playable state within a reasonable amount of time. Remember that phrase,"within a reasonable amount of time". And then remember that mappers and the folks who run the servers are doing so because of their love of the game. We are volunteers. We give of our time (and sometimes money!) so that many other people can share our love of UT.

We do everything we can to encourage mappers to make =good= maps that are suited to Monster Mash or our other servers. It's unfortunate that many mappers can't be bothered to fix server breaking issues on their maps. It's also unfortunate that many mappers won't listen to constructive comments. And it's a damned shame that there aren't many mappers left at all! I applaud anyone who will take the time to open UnrealEd and make a box with some terrain and pickups in it. Is this worthy to put on MM? No. However it is worthy of encouragement because that person has gotten past the alien-seeming interface of UnrealEd and actually made something!

As for the portal gun in NeinFinal.. Shifter, I will say to you again...not everything is as it seems. ::evil grin:: Oh, and the title of your original post is a very large clue indeed.

DW>KarmaKat
:flower:
Karma...a term that comprises the entire cycle of cause & effect...
Kat...a supercilious quadrupedal pile of fur that doesn´t give a flying fig for Karma...