Seeing the Metroid monsters on MMs2 and no Metroid themed map kind of made me interested in making one. As the subject title points out, it'll be based on Metroid's Tourian Region, specifically the final room where the boss Mother Brain would reside.
Progress as of this Post:
- I've gotten the main room built at a primitive level. A central platform is currently holding the only Weapon Locker so far (prone to change), and the ammo pickups for the ammo for the weapons in the WL are placed in a nearby ceiling-jutting hollowed column (also prone to change)
- Spawn points are located in a small side-room at one end of the map, possibly a safe zone with a Static Mesh holding a volume for 100 HP regeneration/sec (overpowered, but prone to change). The Door leading out to the main room is a hollow translucent SM, a Limiter Volume is in place to prevent players' weapon fire and Translocator discs from passing through (I wanted to be somewhat authentic with the doors of Metroid, but not exactly, it'll allow players to pass through, but not their weapon projectiles), as well as Monster Projected attacks.
- Have a hazardous Water Volume acting as the hazardous element of the map causing 20 HP damage/sec (40 HP Damage on initial submersion from my testing thus far). It'll be based off the Metroid: Zero Mission detail, which will mean everything below the walkways will be the hazardous volume.
- Add Health/Shield/Adrenaline Pickups to the map.
- Add a Super Weapon (1 or 2 max, up for debate). It is a large map, so a Redeemer will not kill everything in the room if used (If Enhanced Redeemer is allowed to be added, I'll be sure to place it where it won't be stalked to prevent constant spamming on the account of it's massive blast radius and major damage potential). The Ion Painter works on the map, but it is up for debate for placement.
- Only have a single texture for the map's walls, ceilings, and floors at the moment, but I plan on adding variety to give a little bit of atmosphere to the map.
- Secret spots, if any for the map for Generic or Advanced Health/Shield/Adrenaline pickups (this is up for debate as I may opt against it since it might be way too easy to camp the whole map [Personally, I don't like Idle Leeches, this is my reason for being against it. I'm okay with players needing to AFK for a minute to do something and be back ASAP, but I have a problem with those who join and don't play all map]).
- Maybe add Moving objects, but I've yet to figure how to make them.
- Path-nodes (I suppose it's for the Monster movements) and Flying Path-nodes (Again, I suppose it's for Flying Monsters) and Jump-pads so players can reach some of the higher ground on the map.
- Add static Meshes to, again, add to the atmosphere of the map.
- Music to listen to, and if I knew how, possibly have shifting music tracks throughout the match. (I've been listening to Wail's Nexuiz pack, and some of the tracks seem to fit the map for me [Personally, I'd want a track from one of the Metroid Game's music from Tourian and have the final wave having the Boss Music from Super Metroid play during it]).
I also will need to learn how to put everything into a file and upload it incase someone want's to test it and for final release. I'm open to collaboration on making the map, as I consider myself minimally skilled with the editor and could have the help of an expert on building the map. The map, as is, in Alpha and hope to make it to Beta when it gets to a point I desire for the map to be.
[offtopic]I know some of the maps have credits for those who made/worked on them, if collaboration is used, I'll need help placing Credits for those who helped building this map, whether placed in-map as a single texture placement somewhere, or as a prompt in the text system.[/offtopic]
I hope this piques the interest of everyone, as it may motivate me to work on this map with more frequency.
If anyone has questions for me, I'll try to answer them through this thread unless desired in a PM.