Maps that suck part 652654354315

Here's a specific forum for discussing potential maps, maps that need a vacation and optimizations and modifications for better playability.
DW_KarmaKat
Site Admin
Xfire: KarmaKat

LOL!!

aLpHa...I'll split the $$$ with you!! ::evil grin::

yes....BS and Tankwars have the same...as well as the other ones aLpha mentioned! ShHHhHhH!!!!

KKat
:flower:
Karma...a term that comprises the entire cycle of cause & effect...
Kat...a supercilious quadrupedal pile of fur that doesn´t give a flying fig for Karma...
DW_damn_weasel
1337 Haxor

Snaggle wrote:
Damn_Weasel wrote:I agree with all those maps being removed except for Tankwars, it’s quite popular and I like the tanks. Something I found quite interesting is that some maps are being voted just because of the name, for instance, Beerbattle is a piece of S**T, but ppl voted because of the beer, same with Tankwarks and Tank-a-lot.
Mebbe we should rename BeerBattle to YogurtEnema and see if it gets voted. If nothing else it would be a good laugh. :toothy5:

Snaggle.
LOL…I’m sure that if we name it that way it will get voted….A LOT…
The things you own end up owning you.
DW>Damn_Weasel
DW_Hornet
DW Clan Member

ONS-B3lushgreen is absolutely horrible

ONS-PMC beta has lack luster game play, node setup isn't intresting and the amount of air-borne vehicles is seriously lacking.
DW_Hornet
DW Clan Member

ONS-B3lushgreen is absolutely horrible

ONS-PMC beta has lack luster game play, node setup isn't intresting and the amount of air-borne vehicles is seriously lacking.
DW_e_aLpHa
DW Clan Member

--Ok :

ONS- IronFist5N _ Needs another node layout.

ONS- Mont_De_Lasalle _ Needs another node layout, Work on the weapon lockers and less light.

ONS- Squalor _ NEeds more weapon lockers around the base and work on the spawning points for the players, Theres way too many tanks and very few flying vehicles.

ONS- StoneHills _ Needs another node layout, work on the weapon lockers, work on the player's spawning points, needs more flying vehicles and maybe the levi removed.
..:: Sworn to a Secrecy ::..
==||+ Beast Of Blood +||==
DW_Hornet
DW Clan Member

If you want to talk about node layouts.

PMC-Beta at the very least needs a new one, also some vehicle changes.
Arctic-Stronghold-T32 has a horrible one, thats very unbalanced.
PlainsofNapalia needs one also, although i wouldn't be opposed to map overhaul.
Alien2-T32 Is also pretty horrible, and the whole levi node idea with 4 nodes in close proximity was a really bad choice.

Anyway, Where the hell is urtho when you need him.

CBP2-Brassed just needs to be scraped entirely. The game play is horrible and It runs like pure ass. It's beyond being salvageable.

But seriously, whos going to make the changes.
DW_e_aLpHa
DW Clan Member

- I surely don't know man , but theres other things to fillup my bin, other than modded maps .. I guess we just deal with it .. ..
..:: Sworn to a Secrecy ::..
==||+ Beast Of Blood +||==
Urtho
Camper

DW_Hornet wrote:Anyway, Where the hell is urtho when you need him.
I'm still around, just not really bothering to comment of late. I kinda made it a personal policy to not get involved in any more map revision debates until I see it voted in for play at least once on the server in question. This came about after the proposed changes to Stygian were discussed a few months ago. I have yet to see that map chosen by the players on the DW server since the revised version was added in so I really have to ask, what was the point of putting in all that effort to edit/tweak it?

Seriously, when it comes down to it what is the real point of this entire forum anymore? None of the maps I've seen talked about in recent threads (those few in here that could be called "recent") ever get voted in with any consistency or at all in some cases. I'm sure the changes made to fix up Stygian are nice and all that but I wouldn't know since as I've said it's never been voted for play that I've seen, and given that why bother to do them in the first place?

I'd love to help out with suggestions for map tweaks and link setup alterations but if the masses keep voting for the same dumb maps or style of maps I sadly don't see the point in doing so. Perhaps I'm just in a down mood lately when it comes to my opinion of UT players, but the constant stream of stupid maps voted in all the time tends to irritate me after awhile of playing on them. I've found myself server hopping of late far more then I ever have in the past as sadly this trend is not confined to DW alone.

Ah well, perhaps it will pass in time.
DW_Hornet
DW Clan Member

Urtho wrote:
DW_Hornet wrote:Anyway, Where the hell is urtho when you need him.
I'm still around, just not really bothering to comment of late. I kinda made it a personal policy to not get involved in any more map revision debates until I see it voted in for play at least once on the server in question. This came about after the proposed changes to Stygian were discussed a few months ago. I have yet to see that map chosen by the players on the DW server since the revised version was added in so I really have to ask, what was the point of putting in all that effort to edit/tweak it?

Seriously, when it comes down to it what is the real point of this entire forum anymore? None of the maps I've seen talked about in recent threads (those few in here that could be called "recent") ever get voted in with any consistency or at all in some cases. I'm sure the changes made to fix up Stygian are nice and all that but I wouldn't know since as I've said it's never been voted for play that I've seen, and given that why bother to do them in the first place?

I'd love to help out with suggestions for map tweaks and link setup alterations but if the masses keep voting for the same dumb maps or style of maps I sadly don't see the point in doing so. Perhaps I'm just in a down mood lately when it comes to my opinion of UT players, but the constant stream of stupid maps voted in all the time tends to irritate me after awhile of playing on them. I've found myself server hopping of late far more then I ever have in the past as sadly this trend is not confined to DW alone.

Ah well, perhaps it will pass in time.
I will agree with you on some points, but I have some points of contention.

Some maps are regarded as classic maps that play well for 32p, since their classics they are often voted regardless. If we mod tankmeup as omni has done it will still get voted, why? it's a classic no matter how much you change the map. We have usually tried modifying different maps that don't get played with the goal of having different maps played on the server.

Unfortunately players don't always like different maps, they want something they are generally used to playing. This is an issue with every gametype even TAM has the same 3 maps voted over and over and that game type is in it's infancy. Yes there is a plethora of maps available but you can see the pattern of rankin, grendlekeep, and campgrounds on every public tam server you visit.

Maybe the map project has had a major flaw thus far, relying on spiffying up new maps for fun, instead of creating classics out of the older more recognized maps. Although I believe we saw stygian as a map with promise, not everyone shares the same vision as you and I do. Also, your looking at the fact that they may have saw it as a "sub-par" map and written it off as one.

On the subject of UT players, There is an entire movement on gimmick maps, such as ones with the SSR, and maps that need tons of tanks (or insert vehicle here) to stand out. Although at times they can be fun it gets to the point you want to gouge your own eyes out. To be honest I blame the mappers for creating those kind of maps. There is a lot of power we have in facilitating game play and sometimes it's just abused for the sake of stroking their own ego.
Urtho
Camper

My apologies for not replying until now. Had a bit of a stressful medical situation in my family this week so UT mapping discussions weren't exactly the main thing on my mind.
DW_Hornet wrote:If we mod tankmeup as omni has done it will still get voted, why? it's a classic no matter how much you change the map.
The "classic" part there is highly debatable, even as it relates to the un-Gorz-ified original ONS map. That original always struck me as too bland/boring back then so I never really enjoyed it that much even before it was nerfed to the ends of the earth with all the idiotic additions. As for doing here what Omni's done to that thing, don't even joke about something like that. Have you seen what they've done to the old ONS-Enchantment? Freaking ridiculous.
Maybe the map project has had a major flaw thus far, relying on spiffying up new maps for fun, instead of creating classics out of the older more recognized maps. Although I believe we saw stygian as a map with promise, not everyone shares the same vision as you and I do
I view this lack of participation (not a single reply other than yours to what I said, no other posts at all in this forum since your last one... sad) as a failure of the player base rather than of the map project itself. The goals were good ones, just nearly no one cares about seeing them bear fruit. DW and most other UT servers in general are populated at present with a very large majority of players who want mindless spam or tanks or the same thing over and over again rather than having to download a new map and learn a new layout. This is not anyone's fault (well... for the most part but let's not get into that right now), it's just the way it is at the moment and we're suffering because of it.
There is an entire movement on gimmick maps [...] To be honest I blame the mappers for creating those kind of maps. There is a lot of power we have in facilitating game play and sometimes it's just abused for the sake of stroking their own ego.
I can think of some names that fit that description quite nicely. Names that would be very familiar to anyone who follows the various forums and servers.

Anyways, check your PM as you have one waiting. I'll try to be less down in here, perhaps even comment if something strikes me but like I've said - if a heavily tweaked and edited map that was lovingly crafted to give the best game of ONS possible is never EVER voted in by your player base, does it really exist at all? And if it doesn't, why bother wasting anyone's time working on it in the first place?