Umm, ouch

UT3 should be coming soon with a new gametype, improved vehicles, and MORE PLAYERS! Death Warrant will be there with hardware to spare!
DW_WailofSuicide
DW Clan Member

DW_Damnidge wrote:So zeus, you think the issue was that UT3 may be based from the Gears of War UI?

Also, Wail, you have to excuse me if this is a total noob question because I know nothing of game programming, but is adding a join button something a kick-ass designer like you could add, or is that too much work?
Heh, well, I am too noobtacular to be able to do anything like that. I know a guy named SolidSnake who is working on a completely revamped UI (uWindows style). Definitely hoping he can get that working, as it'd be a major plus to the game.
Desko
1337 Haxor

I think that he was expecting UT3 to be Gears of War because they were made by the same company. "No cover system," honestly, well duh you mountebank, it's Unreal Tournament!

Also, he seems to lack knowledge of other Unreal Tournament games, which is understandable for a console player. He was probably this close to writing, "And why the hell is there a 3 in the name? There have been no previous incarnations of UT on any system I've played!"

I don't like UT3 either, but he went a bit too far. He sounds over-caffeinated himself if you ask me.
When submersed in a liquid, creatures with lungs are typically unable to breathe.
WHIPperSNAPper
1337 Haxor

WailofSuicide wrote:I don't know why but Epic has gone from having a near-perfect interface in the original UT, to having a mediocre one in UT2004, to the piece of crap that UT3 has.
I've more or less concluded that Epic no longer cares about the PC gaming scene and it shows in UT3. The game was made for consoles and the PC version was ported over as an after thought. The thinking might have been, "Now that we've made the game, we can port it over for the PC and maybe we'll get a couple bucks from PC gamers."

Based on what I've been reading lately, Epic wouldn't be unique in having that type of sentiment. Consoles are becoming increasingly popular and selling console games is far more profitable. In the meantime, people are continuing to pirate PC games. Heck, even Crysis had disappointing sales.
unhappy_meal
Killer in Training

I really don't buy the "it was made for consoles" argument to justify the UT3 release. There is no reason why the next generation of an established product should be released in an embarrassingly unfinished state and attempt to cater to an, errrrr, "simpler" target audience.

While it can't replace the niche that awaits a worthier UT, CoD4 is everything an excellent PC multiplayer FPS should be, and has been released on both console and PC platforms to deservedly greater critical and commercial success. Mannnnnn I hope the guys at Epic are taking notes :(

And that review is ridiculous, but hey it's the internets :joker:
zeus
1337 Haxor

I agree with you for the most part. However, I think it greatly influenced their development process. I think that they tried to develop for all platforms at the same time. I am not sure if the problems occured because this is their first foray into the crossplatform market? I know that one of the Unreal games was released on consoles, but I don't think that it was as big of a project as UT3 was.

I think that Infinity Ward either has more experience with cross platform gaming or better project managers. The PC version is missing a couple of things that the console versions have (prestige for one). But, the console for the PC version is one of the best out there. Color coded, auto complete, with help. There is no way that the console platform has that available to them.
unhappy_meal wrote:I really don't buy the "it was made for consoles" argument to justify the UT3 release. There is no reason why the next generation of an established product should be released in an embarrassingly unfinished state and attempt to cater to an, errrrr, "simpler" target audience.

While it can't replace the niche that awaits a worthier UT, CoD4 is everything an excellent PC multiplayer FPS should be, and has been released on both console and PC platforms to deservedly greater critical and commercial success. Mannnnnn I hope the guys at Epic are taking notes :(

And that review is ridiculous, but hey it's the internets :joker:
HunkaHunkaBurninLove
Killer in Training

Is it a bad sign that UT3 is about to fall off the bottom of the rankings?
http://www.onlinegamingzeitgeist.com/games/
OPENSUSE LINUX 10.3 (X86-64).
Playing ETQW until a UT3 Linux client appears.
DW_Bomzin
Site Admin
Xfire: bomzin

OK WTH is going on back with UT. I came in late to a conversation the other night , from the looks of that last chart , somethings up ? What gives?

Still holding breath for SP1 they could still turn this around .b
Kryy
Killer in Training

e_aLpHa wrote:- the only version of UT I would put my hands to fire for is ut2k4 -
Agreed.
To be forgotten is worse than death itself...
d2frob
1337 Haxor

DW_Bomzin wrote:OK WTH is going on back with UT. I came in late to a conversation the other night , from the looks of that last chart , somethings up ? What gives?

Still holding breath for SP1 they could still turn this around .b
Appears that the majority of america prefer the spray and pray campfest of cod4.

Europe is alive and still growing - odd that things are so opposite.
zeus
1337 Haxor

Guess I never realized how many more americans there are than Europeans...

http://www.onlinegamingzeitgeist.com/games/

What is really scary is all of the CS players out there.