I guess we are no longer "bread and butter"

UT3 should be coming soon with a new gametype, improved vehicles, and MORE PLAYERS! Death Warrant will be there with hardware to spare!
zeus
1337 Haxor

"Here’s what he had to say: “I think people would rather make a game that sells 4.5 million copies than a million and “Gears” is at 4.5 million right now on the 360. I think the PC is just in disarray… what’s driving the PC right now is ‘Sims’-type games and ‘WoW‘ and a lot of stuff that’s in a web-based interface. You just click on it and play it. That’s the direction PC is evolving into So for me, the PC is kind of the secondary part of what we’re doing. It’s important for us, but right now making AAA games on consoles is where we’re at.”"

I would not be holding out for UT4.

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/02/ ... or-update/
Desko
1337 Haxor

Is it really any surprise that Gears sold less for the PC when it was released over a year after it's console debut? Many gamers out there own both a PC and a 360, so why would they wait for a game to come out on PC when they could buy it for 360? This just shows me that if it had been the other way around, and Gears were released on the PC originally, it would have 5.5 million copies instead.
When submersed in a liquid, creatures with lungs are typically unable to breathe.
Damnidge
1337 Haxor

:cussing: Epic!

I didn't need the article to know this, but at least it is confirmed by an epic employee.

I decided to sell UT3 when I was in my .ini files and saw "xbox360" more times than I could count.

Let them make games for the consoles. I'm fine with taking my business elsewhere...
Cheers, Damnidge
noxiousCaitSith
1337 Haxor

i still don't understand how some game companies are so dumb. obviously it sold less on the pc cause not everyone is a pc enthusiast and can't afford to upgrade their graphics cards every 2 years. it's a lot easier to just go out and buy a console (don't have to worry about requirements, cause if it's made for the system you know it'll be ok)...also, they suck. the only reason i bought it for the pc is cause i don't like fps's on consoles...my system can't really handle it that well...so maybe if they made games that were accessible by more people then they'd actually sell them.
zeus
1337 Haxor

Uhh.. no.

If that was the case, the PS3 version would be selling like hotcakes. The game flat out sucks.

What they have deluded themselves into thinking is that because GoW sold well on the Xbox360 (Microsoft marketing dollars will do wonders) and did poorly on the PC (buggy product a year later), that all the money is in consoles.

If that is the case, why isn't the PS3 version of UT3 breaking records?

How is it that games like CoD4 are breaking records on both the Xbox360 and the PC? How is it that Crysis, the mother of all PC breaking games, is now on the top 10 list as well as Enemy Territory?

If you make a good game and embrace the community that surrounds the game, the game will sell no matter what the platform. If you make a crappy game, it will fail no matter what. Pretty simple, I think.

Instead of owning up to the fact that UT3 was a mistake, they are blaming it on the myth that PC gaming is dead. Epic has basically spat in the face of everyone who has supported their products for the last 10 years.
d2frob
1337 Haxor

It's pretty sensible from a "we need to make money" point of view to target consoles. That said, the game feels like epic took on too much than they could actually handle with not enough people to be able to develop across pc, ps3 and xbox.

Timeline:
Core gameplay done - now we put it on the consoles
Woah that took ages and ages, shit we need to release something
PC version is released whilst they manically attempt to both develop the console and finish the pc version
End result : everyone's already playing cod4 and tf2

It feels like this, because imo the core of it is actually very good, but in all honesty it's missing everything else. Big shame but we'll see what happens i guess.

Can't stand playing cod4 for very long so TF2, a very casual bit of fun type game is the only alternative. Will stick with ut3 as long as possible.
zeus
1337 Haxor

I think that the other problem they had was they had no idea what to do with Warefare.

Plus, for whatever reason, they decided that they needed to have some kind of single player story line. From what I have read, it is not very good. They should have just stuck with the ladder format. Then used those resources to work on MP.
DW_WailofSuicide
DW Clan Member

d2frob wrote:It's pretty sensible from a "we need to make money" point of view to target consoles. That said, the game feels like epic took on too much than they could actually handle with not enough people to be able to develop across pc, ps3 and xbox.

Timeline:
Core gameplay done - now we put it on the consoles
Woah that took ages and ages, shit we need to release something
PC version is released whilst they manically attempt to both develop the console and finish the pc version
End result : everyone's already playing cod4 and tf2

It feels like this, because imo the core of it is actually very good, but in all honesty it's missing everything else. Big shame but we'll see what happens i guess.

Can't stand playing cod4 for very long so TF2, a very casual bit of fun type game is the only alternative. Will stick with ut3 as long as possible.
Yup.

Hourences nailed it awhile ago. Too many divergent and conflicting philosophies.

PC vs. Console
Easy moddability vs. Console compatibility
Casual vs. Hardcore
SP vs. MP
"We want to own the deathmatch space" vs. "MOAR VEHAKELZ"

Still enjoy it more than UT2004.
d2frob
1337 Haxor

zeus wrote:I think that the other problem they had was they had no idea what to do with Warefare.

Plus, for whatever reason, they decided that they needed to have some kind of single player story line. From what I have read, it is not very good. They should have just stuck with the ladder format. Then used those resources to work on MP.
Albeit the first mentions of warfare (aka conquest) were of massive gameplay etc etc. After scaling down they've ended with ONS v2. Onslaught just doesn't compare.

Single player i'll never understand. It's like theyre targeting an imaginary market. If theyre going to do a story, at least provide tutorial vids of the various vehicles n stuff for those who want to get up to scratch then go multiplay..
zeus
1337 Haxor

That is because they deceived themselves into thinking that 50% of their players never go online.

Plus, I think that GoW showed them that they needed a SP mode. But, they never stopped to think, hey are people buying UT99/2k3/2k4 because of the MP or the SP?

We will see how their next game does for the Xbox360 with MS marketing dollars.