UDK Released today!

UT3 should be coming soon with a new gametype, improved vehicles, and MORE PLAYERS! Death Warrant will be there with hardware to spare!
DW_KarmaKat
Site Admin
Xfire: KarmaKat

Hey all!

The somewhat long awaited UDK for the Unreal Engine 3 has been released today! Mappers and modders, rejoice! :cheers:

Here's an article on the front page: http://www.beyondunreal.com/ which includes links for downloads! Enjoy!

KKat

:flower:
Karma...a term that comprises the entire cycle of cause & effect...
Kat...a supercilious quadrupedal pile of fur that doesn´t give a flying fig for Karma...
Savage
DW Clan Member
Xfire: savagedogg38

Interesting, thanks. I'll be looking into this.
DW_WailofSuicide
DW Clan Member

I haven't looked too much into this yet, but, seriously. Early Christmas gift?
JulianKingOfNothing
1337 Haxor
Xfire: dont remember

I had the full Unreal Engine 3 downloaded illegal, but didn't understand much of it.. so I deleted it. If I was somewhat older at the time, I would've kept it, knowing now it's worth a lot.
DW_Fry
DW Clan Member

Wow, that's pretty cool of them. Looks like the official site is http://www.udk.com.
(Under Team Deathmatch)
Mightylink

I just got it, its awesome ^_^ comes with a basic UT3 source.

And its totally free, for free games of course. To make money you need one of 2 licences, the first one is only 100 bucks :D
DW_Ant
DW Clan Member

I know this topic is a year old, but I don't know a better place to post this.

One of my classes in school is teaching me the basics in UDK. At first glance I was a bit disappointed in how many features they moved or deleted completely. It definitely takes time to learn from UT2k4 to UDK. I still miss the 2D editor and the "mylevel" package.

But I can honestly say that the pros outweigh the cons. The textures are awe inspiring. Lighting is realistic with using minimal Spot Light actors, powerful physics engine and interactive elements with multiple actors, and Kismet excels many actions that UT2k4's scripted triggers and movers cannot handle.

Here's my first project with 8.5 hours build time: DM-DeathBox

That black stuff at the bottom is a rendering issue, not the map.

If you're thinking about UDK, I'll say go for it. If you already have previous knowledge of UT99 or 2k4, then it may take some time to adapt to the new technology.
The difference between successful people from others is
not in the lack of strength,
not in the lack of knowledge,
but rather in the lack of will.

FFE466

That looks really good (the picture is small though). Yeah UE3 is much better. One thing I like about it is that package management is much easier. You don't have to worry about juggling texture / sound / mylevel packages - there is just one package. Also, the amount of detail you can get is much higher. Your map looks quite detailed considering you only spent 8.5 hours on it - that would have taken much longer in UT2k4.
DW_Ant
DW Clan Member

This may be my last map for UDK. The semester is going to end soon, and I won't be able to see these two maps in action for a long time.

However, I did build a map I'm quite proud of, and I'm thinking about mentioning this map on my Portfolio.
Natural Garden is constructed to demonstrate Kismet's capabilities in customizing or twisting the game into its own game.
This map runs the game of Inverted Tag. IT is the only one capable of killing other players (the only way to stack up some points). IT gains benefits such as speed boost, inf ammo, god mode, jump boots, and U damage. The only way other players are able to become IT is to tag the current IT with a link gun's beam. I enjoy playing it. Presentations are required this Monday, and I'm excited to demonstrate my map to the class.
The map is inspired by the trip to Canada I've taken last Summer.
I've also constructed this map without using any added/subtracted CSG brushes!
Build time: 15.5 hours (I log my days after a day's work)

Here are some screenshots:
& this is what my Kismet Sequence looks like.
Sorry for the small resolution. I don't think Game Tracker allows me to specify the dimensions.

I'm not completely done with this map. I still have a few weeks left in class. I can use this opportunity to polish this up (add a matinee scene or something).
If you want a copy of this map, I'll be happy to send it to you.
The difference between successful people from others is
not in the lack of strength,
not in the lack of knowledge,
but rather in the lack of will.

FFE466

Wow, that looks really nice! Yes I would like a copy whenever you are done with it.