Tank vs Manta...HELP!

Discuss all things related to our custom map 32 player ONS server
Arienrhode
Killer in Training

There is a differance between habitual camping to get points and using the same vehicle for the map.

On big maps like Dry Ice I will generally stick to the same 2 vehicles (manta and Cicada from one of the back nodes) as I like to get powerups and I know that vehicle will probably be up when I die. But on a map like Dreamus I won't even touch a vehicle unless I highjack a manta to get somewhere quick...while half the team is camping the tank.

If you want to get good with the tank play Dawn on the SCK server...it's smaller and the players are a bit better in general. Dawn is the best map to learn how to use the tank.
jrv2kgt-s
Camper

KaptainZerg wrote: LOL. I'm in the same boat, Storm—err, same Hellbender. I just loves me some vehicle campers, though, because when I'm in the proper mood, and my team isn't losing, I take revenge on teammates who think they can just steal a vehicle that I'm about to get into. I'll leave it up to you to figure out the many evil and satisfying ways that can be done, but here's one of my faves:
Ok, he might get the manta before you do. What gets me is the ones that leave you without giving you a ride to the nearest node to build. Then there's the players that leave in a Cicada, Bender and so on with only one occupant. This is stupid especially with the Cicada because the 2nd player can avoid missles using the starbursts.
KaptainZerg wrote: A player* is sitting in a Hellbender, beeping the horn like mad. You jump in but just as you do he switches to the good gun so that you have to chauffeur him. Ok, no problem. I'll drive his ass—but I'm heading straight for the nearest enemy node to park right where the enemy can blow up the Hellbender in a few seconds. You simply park and run, or jump out a few feet from the hot spot. If you're real lucky your dead passenger will type some pathetic insult in game chat, that's when you know you pissed him off good. :compress:
Thanks for the rides. :blackeye: j/k
“I don’t have pet peeves, I have major psychotic f****** hatreds!”
-George Carlin-
Purity_the_Kitty
1337 Haxor

Agreed on the dickwads who don't give rides. It annoys the heck out of me when I start by calling "Fast start, give rides people" and everybody takes off one-man-per-vehicle. That's when I wish Friendly Fire was on, so I could respawn our manta. :p
Evolution
Killer in Training

you dont want friendly fire, cause then you would have dick heads teamkilling all the time
Code_of_Life
Killer in Training

I agree that splash damage is the tanks best friend.
On maps like BGA-Core, even the best manta pilots are no match for a tank on their own, because of the walls.
On open maps however, a skilled manta pilot can easily take out a tank, provided nobody else is gunning for him (turrets, avrils)

I've also noticed that sometimes (lag?) the tank can blast you even when the cannon is pointed the other way!

Raptors are another question, other than by getting backup, I dont see the tank having a chance. The only possible defence is to spot the raptor early, get out and fire avrils/hit scan weapons.
Arienrhode
Killer in Training

BGA-Core needs to go off the server list. I have no idea how someone could have fun playing it, all it is is 2 tank whores blowing people up and perhaps some decent manta drivers, everyone else just spams down the hallways praying for a lucky point. It's not very playable in my opinion.
DW_Ifondlesweaters
DW Clan Member

BGA-Core = Sniper Alley.

That's the only thing that makes it playable for me.

Which reminds me: when I roll 4,000 headshots this weekend, there's a pizza party at my place.

You guys bring the pizza, I'll supply the party.
DW_Bomzin
Site Admin
Xfire: bomzin

I like snipen snipers . Looks like I'll be busy this weekend.
DW_Ifondlesweaters
DW Clan Member

I welcome it, Bomzin, for shizzle. It's only really fun when counter-snipers get in on the action. Especially if they're good, like my DW comrades, particularly the ones with over 10,000 head shots and counting. Forces me to find new and improved sniping nests.

I'm in the process of sending away for my Headhunter badge to put on my sash.