New Map and Link suggestions

Report any issues or suggestions here. Intermittent lag happens, so don't report it unless it is excessive
Urtho
Camper

I'm going to list in this post maps that DW either does not run at all or does not run with what (in my opinion obviously) is not a good link setup for the nodes given the map design and the player count you run at. These are all maps I've either used in the past on my ONS server or am currently using right now. I don't get quite as much traffic as DW does, but these maps all played at least fairly well on a 26 player ONS server. How they would each play with constant 32 player action is an open question, but I feel they're at least worth a look to see if you want to try some of them out. I also do not run with superweapons on my server as I feel they are quite cheap in their "one hit to a node kills it" aspect, so I may miss an Ion Painter or Redeemer and how they would affect play in my descriptions so keep that in mind. Also, please note that because you run the UT2Vote voting mutator on your server, I may be listing maps here that you are actually already running. That mutator's "hiding from view of maps previously played" feature, besides being annoying for players, also makes it hard for me to tell if I've seen you running a particular map or not. So apologies in advance if this happens, but perhaps the links I suggest would work better.

For each map I'll list the name, give a brief descrpition of the map, and then provide any alternate link setup screenshots if I feel the map would benefit from something other than the default setup. I have included web links for the maps here if I could find an active link for them. If you want to use any of the alternate link setups I came up with that I'll be showing in my screenshots below, just ask and I'll post up the actual linkage codes for you to use. Including them all in this post would make it much longer than it already is.

One last point before I start that I want to be really clear on - I would never claim all of these maps are great and beyond questioning or the best ever or the most technically well made or anything else foolish like that. This post is merely a listing and description of maps I don't see on your server right now that I've had first hand experience with that my players have enjoyed playing on at one time or another that I think you might like to play here as well. If you try one or more and hate them, hey that's the way it goes. We all have different tastes. Hopefully you'll try some of these and find a new favorite that you'll want to play over and over again.

Ok, lets get started...

** Maps not currently on your server **

ONS-ApocalypseRedux

Fun map with a great theme (the skybox is really killer stuff), tons of vehicles, including a single Levi. Good distrubtion of weapons/vehicles, also a Target Painter and Redeemer. 7 nodes makes for varied action and plenty of z-axis fighting. A few too many teleports in places, but that's a nitpick. The alternate links I came up with below seem to really work well, much better than default anyways.

Linksetup(s):

Diamond Image
ONS-Ascendancy_ECE
http://www.unrealplayground.com/download.php?mapid=7547

Very visually appealing map with lots of room and vehicles to play with. Only 6 nodes but fairly well spaced out. Central nodes are as usual the key, with one being very open and spawning a Levi and the other being enclosed and well protected by the Paladin it spawns. Key is usually to control the enclosed node which is somewhat easy unless you get a crafty player attacking you from unexpected angles. Lots of jumpads make getting around easy to do.

Linksetup(s):

Starcross Image
ONS-ConcealedRespite
http://www.unrealplayground.com/download.php?mapid=7136

Interesting map set completely underground in a massive cavern. Not enough nodes for my taste (5), but they're pretty spread out and not overly hard to defend if you've got some players who know what they're doing. Went with choke setup on this one given the limited number of nodes and it works out fairly well. No ECE content which is probably for the best - only the Paladin would really shine on this one. Despite being underground there is some airpower and it can do some damage as some of the nodes are well protected from the ground but somewhat open to air attacks.

Linksetup(s):

Bowtie Image
ONS-Denum
http://www.unrealplayground.com/download.php?mapid=7181

Overall theme of this map is quite nice, kinda an "Aliens" type of feel in the sense of an atmosphere processing station on an alien world. This map could have used another node or two, as with only 6 (2 being without weapon lockers - go figure that design decision out as I can't) it's a bit tight at times. I don't like choke node setups for the most part but the base gives you plenty of vehicles and if at least a few people defend the choke then games can go back and forth a bit. The two nodes without weapon lockers do spawn extra vehicles so I've used them in my alternate link setup as safe nodes (nodes only linked to one core - they can never be spawn-locked or outright destroyed) to give an additional place to spawn and maybe pick up a vehicle or at least get a head start on moving towards a side node.

Linksetup(s):

ExtraSafes Image
ONS-Dinora
http://nalicity.beyondunreal.com/map_hub.php?mid=7726

Nice map if a bit small set on dark beach along the shore during a rainstorm. As you might guess, atmosphere and theme for this map is fantastic. Only 5 nodes, but most are very well protected making the battles rage in the middle grounds around them. For 32 players expect a lot of on-foot action as there are not a tremendous amount of vehicles so teamwork and ride-sharing is essential. A team full of selfish players is going to lose quickly here. The losing side tends to fill up with core snipers/campers towards the end of rounds when their options become limited so keep that in mind. There is a -32p version of this map out there just FYI, but I don't like that one due to some questionable design choices the author of that map made when he edited the original.

Linksetup(s):

Box Image
ONS-DryIce-ECE-32p
http://www.unrealplayground.com/download.php?mapid=8830

You currently have the ECE version of this map on your server, but I'd recommend changing it over to the -32p version as it was (obviously) tweaked to work better with this many players. Vehicle balancing is better (more added in places), some things were moved around a bit, some much needed 2-way teleports to and from their secondary pads were added to nodes 2, 4, 6, and 8 and the very bad SPMA bug at node 5 is fixed. For those who don't know what the bug is, if a SPMA hits the middle node in a certain way/area, an invisible SPMA explosion will go off there FOR THE REST OF THE GAME, randomly killing people without warning. For that fix alone I'd say you should switch.

Linksetup(s): Use the included "Original_Default" link setup included within the map file. The default links in this version are quite terrible in actual gameplay so please do not use them.

ONS-Firestorm
http://www.unrealplayground.com/download.php?mapid=5738

I hesitate to put this map here, but some of my players missed it and wanted it to come back after I pulled it so... here it is. Purely a matter of taste and what you want out of a map if you like this one or think it's the worst idea for ONS ever. As for a description - think 2 or 3 times Primeval-level insane amounts of spam, only smaller with 3 in-line nodes. Fun part of this map is the killer skybox/sky effects (you'll have to play it to see what I mean) and numerous pools of insta-kill lava. You'd think that running this small of a map with this many players would make it way overcrowded and it can be at times, but usually not for long as people misstep and fall into a buring pool or are "helped" in doing so by either enemies or teamates with poor aim. Obviously very limited numbers of vehicles, although the center spawns a tank (of course) and there's a target painter for each side lurking about to add to the mess. Oh yeah, did I mention the spider mines? Needless to say, this is a map of pure chaos with very little real skill required to win on it that I don't care for a great deal to be honest, but some players love this type of game so here it is.

Linksetup(s): no alternates possible, really. Default is as good as it gets.

ONS-LonesomeGlen-ECE
http://www.unrealplayground.com/download.php?mapid=8202

This map is a bit too spread out for my taste, with the paths between nodes not really connecting all that well, but it can certainly hold 32 players and there are enough vehicles to go around, both in the bases and at the various nodes. A kind of Chinese/Oriental type of theme for the core and node bases in this map. Central nodes spawn varied vehicles, with a SPMA at one and a Cicada at another so taking one node path over another isn't clearly the best choice. Hidden target painter makes things interesting in simply finding it, although those with sharp eyes or the merely observent will find it without too much trouble.

Linksetup(s):

Arrow Image Arrow2 Image
Of the two link setups listed here, Arrow is my prefered choice but Arrow2 might work better if you find that teams are having difficulty in holding or retaking the far primary node which is giving you shorter games than you would like.

ONS-Majestic
http://www.unrealplayground.com/download.php?mapid=6785

This map was a hard one to come up with alternate links given how it is layed out and how you physically can get to certain areas of the map. A much more vertically oriented type of ONS map than most others (and I don't just mean airpower), you really need to know the map to get where you want to with any speed. Given this, some type of safe node at the upper level opposite the core was required in order to give teams a chance to retake the high core-linked node. Standard 4 corner with cutoff in the center seemed to work fairly well. Some players have complained of FPS issues on this one, so be aware of that. I haven't noticed any myself but I run a fairly high-end system.

Linksetup(s):

Overwatch Image
ONS-Mesa's
http://www.unrealplayground.com/download.php?mapid=5177

Dark. Oh my yes, it is dark. If you have your gamma settings turned to lower than is standard, you may think you've gone blind when this map loads. Aside from that flaw (and it is annoying I'll freely admit), it's a pretty fun map that, similar to Majestic, is more vertically oriented with z-axis fighting than most maps usually are. Sheer cliffs that are unscalable by both players and most vehicles make air vehicles dominant in certain areas, although there's plenty of AVRILs and shock rifles around to limit how much damage they can do. If a good tanker gets one of the two that spawn, watch out. The central area quickly becomes a slaughter house as they have a prime tank snipe spot not far from where it spawns. Careful teamwork will take them out, so it's not a gamebreaker. Plenty of nodes to go around and the link setup works well. Plays a bit smaller than you might think it would at first glance. There's also a Target Painter, Redeemer, Keg and DD in out of the way places. One of my favorites.

Linksetup(s):

Backpath Image
ONS-Nevermore-SE
http://nalicity.beyondunreal.com/map_hub.php?mid=7311

Very large map based on the ruins of a destroyed city that is ideally suited for large scale ONS games. Easily holds 32 players and with a proper link setup yields many fun games. Before someone says it, yes I know there is an ECE version but that one causes both player and server-side lag due to some design changes the author made when he did the ECE one. If someone were to take the SE version and add ECE content as well as some other tweaks (low loadouts from the weapon lockers are a weak point on this map) to make a -32p verson it would be really something special. An attempt to do just this was started over on Titan's forums but it got abandandoned I believe after only a single beta version was finished. Still quite a fun map.

Linksetup(s):

Twisted Image
ONS-P3846
http://www.unrealplayground.com/download.php?mapid=6168

Very wide open map with a winter/ice theme that can easily hold 32 players. One potential probelm with this one is that there is no fog - none. If you have line of sight on something you can see it on this map. This can obviously cause FPS issues for players on weaker machines. Shame really as the gameplay is lots of fun. 7 nodes with each team being on opposite sides of a frozen lake/river. Central node can be the key but can also be bypassed by teams that work hard enough. Plenty of vehicles to go around at the various nodes so you won't be looking for a ride for long. No ECE content on this one which is too bad - Cicadas and to a lesser extent SPMA's would really tear it up on this map.

Linksetup(s):

OvalCross Image Wings Image Of the two, I like the first one better as it provides more cutoff chances. Wings works ok if you have good players on both sides.

ONS-RingofFire
http://www.unrealplayground.com/download.php?mapid=6271

The ring of fire from the map name is taken from the fact that all fighting occurs around (and over for Raptors) a massive lake/crater of steaming lava. Not enough nodes really for good back-n-forth ONS games (only 4 total) but the link setup I came up with kinda works ok. Plays like a bigger version of Frostbite if you can believe that - lots of fights and action that are "funneled" into rocky corridors by the map's geography. Kind of a weird map, with a lot of single weapon pickups and a lower central node that spawns 3 scorpions. First thing you notice when you load it up is that there is no fog - none whatsoever. If you have line of sight on this map, you can see it. This leads to odd things happening, like an energy turret firing at a raptor non-stop and doing no damage because the bolts don't reach it. Just because you can see it doesn't mean you can actually hit it. Each side gets a forward-placed Levi reachable via teleport and there is a Redeemer for each side as well as a single Target painter. This will either be a love it or hate it type of map I suspect.

Linksetup(s):

HighLow Image
ONS-RomanRoads
http://www.fileshack.com/file.x?fid=5741

As the name implies, this map has a very "roman architechture" type of theme with (obviously) several bridges. Default links work surprisingly well. Only 7 nodes, but they're spaced out fairly well and each one seems to have a good loadout of weapons and vehicles. ECE content on this one, and with a SPMA at the core that means one or both teams will be under artilary fire for a good portion of the game. Central node/bridge complex is lots of fun to fight around with 3 bridges in an H setup leading to some hectic battles. One odd aspect - no air power at all on this map, so you'll need to be good with the ground vehicles or on your feet.

Linksetup(s): Default works well so there are no alternate links here. Wouldn't be hard to come up with another setup if you don't care for default (I have a test one you can try out if you really want it).

ONS-Serrations-ECE
http://nalicity.beyondunreal.com/map_hub.php?mid=8003

This one is reminicient of Severance in look and feel as well as in the fact that it only has 5 nodes. Shame really as it is big enough and even has places for at least 2 - 4 more. Given this, a choke setup was the best way to go I felt and it worked out OK. Central node spawns a levi and there is plenty of vertical action in and around the valleys. Paladin lovers will enjoy this one as you'll probably never see a Pally go flying by you faster than on this map. Why? It spawns way up high and most of the places it should be heading towards are way down low at the bottom of long rocky roads to the valleys. Weapon lockers are a bit lighter than I like to see, but the cores give out some good rides to get a game started. Ion painter in an out of the way place so keep your eyes open. Each side gets a Target painter as well.

Linksetup(s):

Timeless Image
ONS-Stygian
http://nalicity.beyondunreal.com/map_hub.php?mid=7577

Welcome to hell. Ahem, that's the theme/idea behind this map I suspect anyways. A very gothic/evil architechture is present in both the core bases and the nodes. Not too many vehicles, but they're spread out well and there are 7 nodes to keep you occupied. More on-foot action than most ONS maps on this one as the valleys tend to be deathtraps for the slower vehicles so bailing out and going on foot tends to work better most of the time. Central node is elevated and only accessable via 2 jumpads leading to some interesting camping/defensive tactics.

Linksetup(s):

Nexus Image
ONS-Tempura
http://nalicity.beyondunreal.com/map_hub.php?mid=7322

Absolutely massive map that could probably hold 64 players if UT2004 could handle that many. Tons of vehicles so you'll never be wanting for a ride and 9 nodes to keep you busy. The Levi spawns at node #6 and that can be a total bloodbath at times as both sides fight over it. Numerous snipe spots so the campers/headhunters out there will be happy with this one. Some nodes and both cores are a bit too protected for my taste - the cores can only be attacked from behind the bases and are well protected from the air so aim well if you want to hurt them. No ECE content on this one which is a shame as both the Cicada and SPMA would shine on this map. You'd probably get a head full of grey hairs trying to get anywhere in a Paladin on this map but nothing is perfect. A very fun map overall.

Linksetup(s):

Paramount Image
ONS-TropicNightfall-32p
http://nalicity.beyondunreal.com/map_hub.php?mid=8906

This might have gone in the other section but I'm including it here as it plays quite a bit different than the sister map. As you might guess from the name, this is ONS-Tropic32p set at night. This seemingly simple change makes for a great difference in gameplay. All the air vehicles have their deadly-ness doubled at least as they can easily vanish into the night sky if you don't take them out quickly. There's also some other subtle tweaks to gameplay that change things quite a bit, such as the tunnel behind the cores to the rear supershield and Target Painter spawn points. I also include it as it is a prime candidate for an alternate link setup such as the one suggested below. Heh, no this isn't some conceited thing on my part - check both this map and Tropic32p if you doubt me but that is in fact the name of an included alternate link setup. HunterW, the map's author, liked this one I came up with when he was making Tropic and named it after me. So yeah, I kinda like it. :-) A suggestion would be to run original Tropic32p with the default links and the Nightfall version with this one below.

LinkSetup(s):

UrthoStyle Image
** Maps you currently run that I think would work better with different link setups **

ONS-Adara

The links you changed over to are much better than the default, but it's still not there completely yet. Testing/gameplay has shown that the below links work the best with giving teams a chance to comeback when down to their final node. In your current links, the middle cutoff is kind of helpful, but not as much as having another path to cut off and completely isolate an attacking team.

DualPath Image
ONS-Airmars

Given the bad design of the internal middle side nodes on this map (very hard to retake once lost), the default links are just not workable with more than 16 players or so. The first option is my design (a simple modification of a provided alternate link setup) and I think it works well. The second one was designed by Fluffy over on Titan - his idea was to let people fight over the middle on foot if they wanted or ignore the middle entirely. I can see his reasoning, but I'm not sure I care for what tends to happen in most games with it running.

Insider Image SafeInside Image
ONS-Crossfire

Default will never work on this map with this many players, so the following was come up with by a bunch of us over on Cains (ok Fluffy and I had the same idea at the same time) and seemed to work well enough. I wouldn't use the ECE version of this map btw as the middle node with an extra tank becomes a bit too powerful. Note that using this many nodes/vehicles on this map seems to cause lag issues for some servers so testing and perhaps alterations might be needed.

SpidersWeb Image
ONS-ColdFusion][

With 6 nodes on this map and a Levi at one you need to keep the links as seperate as possible so one team doesn't completly steamroll over the other. The links below are basically a Dawn style setup twisted so the central connectors are reversed from what you would expect. Works fairly well in games I've played on it.

Crown Image
ONS-Dria-ECE

This is a great map and one of the few maps that came with the game that isn't a total loss for large player servers, but not with this many players on the default choke node link setup. Two routes to the core plus cutoff opportunities is the general rule, and this link setup has proven to work fairly well over many games on other servers.

TwinPath Image
ONS-Twilight-SE

Default is passable, but makes a critical error. Linking both core linked primaries to each other does nothing for the losing side but does give attackers a way to completely cut off or isolate the other teams nodes merely by taking one side of a map. The links below aren't perfect but seem to work well given the small number of nodes I had to work with. Even one or two more nodes could have helped out greatly on this map but this setup seems to work alright as is.

Star Image
*gasp* *gasp*

Water please.

Ok, that's it - all done now. Hopefully you'll try out some of these and find a bunch of completely new maps or maybe old maps with new link setups that you'll enjoy playing on.