VPN connection in Linux

Talk about anything and everything
DW_FrankyTheFly
DW Clan Member

I looking for answer if someone know how VPN connection works. I'm using a D-Link router and I'm having a problem connecting to a VPN server (I don't want to run a VPN server, but i want to connect to one). Now I know all my connection parameters for the VPN server are ok because I can connect to it using windows 7. Their is 4 scenario and 3/4 works.

1. Connecting to VPN server (vpn.cc.umontreal.ca) using windows 7 WITHOUT the D-link router (directly to the modem) = WORKS.
2. Connecting to VPN server (vpn.cc.umontreal.ca) using windows 7 behind a DIR-632 D-link router = WORKS.
3. Connecting to VPN server (vpn.cc.umontreal.ca) using Linux x86_64 (Fedora14) WITHOUT the D-link router (directly to the modem) = WORKS.
4. Connecting to VPN server (vpn.cc.umontreal.ca) using Linux x86_64 (Fedora14) behind a DIR-632 D-link router = DO NOT WORK.

#4 scenario is my problem, no matter what I do (configure port forwarding, remove firewall, include DMZ, lower MTU, change Gateway IP address) it just wont work. The VPN connection start, the server is reach (ping work), pass my authentication but after 1 min it disconnect. I just don't know what to do, I tried every forum possible on this, no matter what, I can't get this VPN connection to work in Linux while using my router. If anyone know something about this problem, I'm open to suggestion.
I got the reflex of the fly, now catch me if you can!
DW_TigerRaptorFX
DW Clan Member

DMZ! Now you're playing with fire.:P

Only thing that comes to mind. Is to configure something within Fedora it self. You might want head directly to the Fedora forums on that one.
DW_FrankyTheFly
DW Clan Member

Yeah I know about DMZ but I had to test it to at least see if that work (don't worry it's off now). I already check into Fedora forum too but haven't found anything useful. I send an email to the guy responsible for the VPN server at my university and ask him if I have to configure something special for Linux. But I doubt it.

You see, I used the same configuration of VPN in Fedora 14 on my laptop (my Fedora desktop have the exact same Config) to connect to the VPN server at my university by using the University public internet network (witch is of course behind a router and a firewall) and IT PASS! All this is indicating me that I HAVE TO DO SOMETHING WITH MY ROUTER CONFIG, but what??? I just don't know, that's the big picture.
I got the reflex of the fly, now catch me if you can!