Game tweaks COD BO and others

Anything and everything related to COD Black Ops
DW_Bomzin
Site Admin
Xfire: bomzin

Well went looking into information about tweaking BO and ran across this one that looked like a good tut for a starting point with alot of good information on just the generals of video cards.

http://www.blackopsforum.com/showthread.php?t=10118

O.K. guys, I told you I would make a new thread for you to explain how the settings of the control panels will make a difference for you in game and not just on black ops, but on every game .

I will also throw in a couple in game console commands and some free programs as well for you all .

To start off, lets get into our control panels .

I will start with Nvidia control panels mainly because they offer a better interface and a more comprehensive interface .

Go into your control panel and select "add program"

Select your Black ops mp.exe

Path as so ... c:/program files/steam/steamapps/common/black ops/Black ops mp.exe and the hit open .

Now ...

From the top of the control panel ....

1 ) Ambient Occlusion or "sky light" = off

This should be turned to the off position because it does not offer a "diffuse" adjustment and will make things to shiney and bright .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambient_occlusion

2 ) Anisotropic filtering = Application controled

We will let the game take control of this because we will control this from in game .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anisotropic_filtering

I always prefer to run my Aniso at maximum settings, but you may wish to turn it off or down in game to free up FPS .

3 ) AntiAliasing Gamma correction = Preference ?

The reason I say preference is because this will depend on how good your graphics card is or if your after FPS

For better FPS = off

For better eye candy = on

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-aliasing

You can see the difference in the "correction" in figure "c" in this link .

You decide what your after, but I run it at "off" and my game still looks great and it saves a bit of FPS .

4 ) Anti Aliasing = Application controlled

This again is because we adjust this in game .

This link above touches on what this is all about, but in lamens term it eliminates the "stepping" or "ladder" effect from edges and maps that should appear straight .

You will notice that "settings" will be greyed out now, because it will be adjusted in game .

I run a minimum of 2x AA in game .

5 ) AA Transparency = preference ?

Again, another setting that depends on how good you graphics card is .

off = better fps

On = more eye candy

6 ) CUDA - cpu's = all

This needs to be on or set to all whether running a single Gcard or dual cards .

Just as it says, the GPU or Grpahics Procsessing unit/s .

7 ) Extension limit = off

This originally was used to clip scripting strings into smaller managable pieces by the program .

Since most peoples computers are out of the dark ages, we will set this to off .

8 ) Maximum Prerendered Frames = 1

This is the long and technical "buffering" setting .

We want dual buffering when gaming for maximum performance and to ditch those corupt packets caused by the third back buffer .

Use this link to understand a bit more about "buffering" .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_...iple_buffering

You should realize after reading a bit that todays graphics cards are fast enough and have enough power to make dual buffering a the best choice for gaming and freeing up resources in your graphics card .

Since the server uses the packets sent per frame to judge where you will be in the next frame based on speed / angle ect, we DO NOT want a third frames worth of "miss information" to interfere with our game .

Basically, if the third buffer and its packets say your still 1 foot to the left, even though you are moving, you will get hit by shots that should of went right by your head, but due to millisecond delay and that third buffered frame and its packets, you are now dead .

Thats as easy as I can explain it .

I always use dual buffering for gaming, I recomened you do the same .

Triple buffering is for movies and the "smoothness" or flow of frames that are carved into stone in your DVD .

Tripple buffering makes movies look great !!!

But when dealing with a changing and dynamic enviroment like FPS games, that extra frame and its packets screw you = dead on the ground .

9 ) Multi - display = single display performance

Self explanitory

10 ) Power management = prefer maximum performance

Self explanitory

11 ) Texture filtering - Anisotropic Optimization = off

I have set this to off because the previous AT setting is set to application controlled

off = better FPS

on = more eye candy

See above Aniso link to refresh .

12 ) Texture Filtering - Negative LOD bias = on

This is one of the "main" 3 things I have said makes the biggest difference in game .

What this does is stops your background from "blurring" or losing AA while moving .

A weak graphics card will not like this set to clamp, but a good graphics card will take advantage and you will see the whole game crisply front of the map to the farthest edge of the back of the map without bluring .

I run this set to "clamp" for crispness .

good card = clamp

low end card = allow

13 ) Texture filtering - Quality = preference ?

For better FPS set this to "high performance"

For better map resolution set this to "quality"

14 ) Texture filtering - trilinear = preference ?

What this tries to do is fill "voids" between the individual texture pixles in maps .

If you want a pretty picture, set this "on"

If you want more FPS, set this to "off"

I personally run this as "off" because Im not after super map resolution, Im after FPS .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trilinear_filtering

You will also want to set this in game to "bilinear" filtering as well in settings .

15 ) Threaded optimazation = on

This going to use all cores and all GPU's when in game .

Everybody wants this to be to spread the load out amonst all procsessors .

16 ) Triple buffering = off

Reasons were outlined above and will be explained in depth below in mathematical terms* .

17 ) Verticle sync = use 3d settings

I use Vsync to cut down on "pre rendered" frames and free up GPU resources .

Also explained below* .