"Managing Player Expectations" - Weapon Mastery Ability

Check out Death Warrant's Invasion Server
DW_WailofSuicide
DW Clan Member

So I've been thinking about the new Weapon Mastery Ability and what is going to happen when this ability gets released. For the most part, I think this is fine to go public, unless there's some issues with it that I haven't been made aware of. I even recall saying that it may be released in the next (this upcoming) version.

However as I lay in bed trying to sleep I realized exactly what is going to happen if this ability is released. Currently it's set up to pull from a specific subset of weapon enchantments/modifiers. Since I am not able to do everything at once, that means weapon ideas that I have had but haven't had the chance to create yet won't be present, and some other weapons which I think may not ultimately fit the feel of this ability could get removed. So the obvious thing that's going to happen is, this ability gets released, and then sometime down the line I make a weapon type I think is really cool and a better fit for this ability than another weapon type. Someone else disagrees. Voila, recipe for endless complaints.

Now, I don't expect anything different. That's the nature of life. But at the same time this kind of attitude that everything new introduced into the game is somehow set in stone just makes me very hesitant to release new things unless I'm really, really sure about them. That's the Yin to that Yang.

Anyway, that's basically the situation with this ability right now. I figured I'd see if anyone had anything to say about it.
DW_FrankyTheFly
DW Clan Member

I'm just realy concerned about players that for some obscure reason have the weapon mastery skill and are NOT WEAPON MASTER... Yes Wail it's true I have confirmation. (Don't ask me how it happend cause I have no idea).

In any case, I do think weapon Mastery will be a GOOD thing for Weapon Master because it's realy hard for them to gain level bellow 150. Also, Most of the OBSECIVE WHINNERS are WM (especialy in server 2). It's always : "I need an inf" or "I need a vorpal"... Well The weapon Mastery skill will probably fixed this "problem" since you can try having an inf with it. So this is why I think it will bring more good thing then bad thing in general.
I got the reflex of the fly, now catch me if you can!
DW_WailofSuicide
DW Clan Member

DW_FrankyTheFly wrote:I'm just realy concerned about players that for some obscure reason have the weapon mastery skill and are NOT WEAPON MASTER... Yes Wail it's true I have confirmation. (Don't ask me how it happend cause I have no idea).
TBH this doesn't surprise me. Assuming we aren't going to clean up the ini beforehand, I can always disable this ability from functioning on non WM characters.
Jon!
1337 Haxor
Xfire: jonk27

so... am i right to say this skill gives you x number of random enchantments to create a gun of that magic? if so, AWESOME.

DO WANT!
Kyomaa
Killer in Training

Hopes I get a Petri maker all the time :D <3 me petri
Server 1:
MMA>Kyomaa - WM (in progress)

Server 2:
MMA>Kyomaa - AM (110 -- retired for now.)
MMA>Kyoma - WM (135 and rising...)
Marius
Killer in Training

I would say that this new ability would be an amazing ability.

It would allow lower level WM's to have more fun..

Often if I spawn with only one semi-useful weapon (like a link of force.. only partly useful because it runs through ammo so fast) I will just go out and jump around and kamikaze stuff until I die, hoping I will spawn with a better weapon.

With an assortment of weapon enhancements to choose from, I would have to evaluate how I want my playstyle to be at the current moment and choose which weapon I would want to enhance.

It would also allow WM to help out the team a little bit, because if a medic wants a Vamp gun you might be able to supply them with it. AM.. well they make their own weps anyways.
Jon!
1337 Haxor
Xfire: jonk27

good points there marius and ky. I always find myself going kamikaze later on to get a decent reroll...
Kyomaa
Killer in Training

I do the exact same. Instead of sitting in a hidey hole with crappy guns, I take my best gun, run and gun until I die, and pray for better weapons the next wave. Given, sometimes I get them and end up losing them cause I'm a dumbhead and don't have recall... Still it'd be nice to get a couple decent weapons, and not have to beg AMs to make me a petri. :P
Server 1:

Server 2:
DW_ACY
DW Clan Member

Kyomaa wrote:I do the exact same. Instead of sitting in a hidey hole with crappy guns, I take my best gun, run and gun until I die, and pray for better weapons the next wave. Given, sometimes I get them and end up losing them cause I'm a dumbhead and don't have recall... Still it'd be nice to get a couple decent weapons, and not have to beg AMs to make me a petri. :P
Going out and playing with what you have is what weapon masters do...if you always want a certain gun then you need to seriously think about adren master, so you don't always have to ask. I seldom ask for a weapon as a weapon master but I do often get them offered to me because people know I know how to play and not waste them, even at low level. Must play smarter people and not be a pain and people will help.

No shame, no dishonor, will run away to fight another day!
ACY
Kyomaa
Killer in Training

I hardly ever ask for guns. I don't like to, but it'd be cool to get a few decent guns to work with. When the majority of my weps come up as reloading/poison/earth I get a little ticked though. I'm level 100 now, so I can stay out in the shit a little longer without going down right off the bat, so it's fine. But it'd be cool to have another chance to get a gun that I want. :)
Server 1:

Server 2: