[Map] DM-Nosgoth (Abyss)

Check out Death Warrant's Invasion Server
Nelsoncarmo26
1337 Haxor
Xfire: QuantumEquilibrium

First release, just finished.

Download it, test it... and give me your oppinion.
Any advice is apreciated, specially those who played Soul Reaver.

There are parts in the map, like the staircase that provabley could be done better...

Download here:
[s]http://www.filefront.com/17044147/DM-Nosgoth.zip[/s]
Last edited by Nelsoncarmo26 on Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
[glow=red]Website[/glow] - [glow=red]ModDB[/glow]
Seven_of_69
1337 Haxor

Overall it looks good though you may get some comments about the large size. It takes a while to visit all three lockers. For playability, this will make it difficult for medics and copying weapons.

There is a minor clipping issue in many areas of the valley below. I noticed it only in 3rd person view though to other players it would look like buried feet. Also note the clipping problem in the bottom right corner.

The main problems I found are where the edges of surfaces protrude beyond their visible edges. At first I noticed it in only a couple places but after a thorough walk-through, I noticed these "glass surfaces" virtually everywhere there was a "height transition".

Nelsoncarmo26
1337 Haxor

Right, ok.
So about the sinking feet... I can smooth the terrain a little more, although in the fast pace of the game, I don't think no one really cares about that, as no one will stop for long enough to even notice it.

The clipping... there is nothing I can do about that to my knowledge.
If you know how, please let me know... I would like to know how to fix that.

The glass mesh... The best solution here is provabley, convert the current ones to static meshes, and replace with the existing ones, and hopefully that should solve the problem.
Alternativelly, I can convert them to brush, and then just apply the brush to add space and make the shape.

The size... it may look like a big map, but remember it goes around, and that's why it seems bigger.
Also don't forget that you can also use the teleporter as a shortcut... you don't have to go all the way around.

Anything else you may've notice... you would like to tell me?
Nelsoncarmo26
1337 Haxor

Ok,
I have done quite a few changes, and although some parts are not like the original map of Nosgoth, but I had to lie a little and improvise.

try this one.
[s]http://www.filefront.com/17051647/DM-Nosgoth-Abyss.zip[/s]
Last edited by Nelsoncarmo26 on Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seven_of_69
1337 Haxor

Nelsoncarmo26 wrote:So about the sinking feet... I can smooth the terrain a little more, although in the fast pace of the game, I don't think no one really cares about that, as no one will stop for long enough to even notice it.
I don't think it's a big deal. Maybe it's supposed to be a sandy section. :swink:

I don't map so I can't help with the clipping. I think anomalies are inherent in the game when in 3rd person view. It doesn't seem to affect 1st person view and if there are no issues with potential glitching, I wouldn't worry about this one.
Nelsoncarmo26 wrote:The glass mesh... The best solution here is provabley, convert the current ones to static meshes, and replace with the existing ones, and hopefully that should solve the problem.
Alternativelly, I can convert them to brush, and then just apply the brush to add space and make the shape.
No clue here either. But it's prevalent throughout the map, even on the large pipe elbow in the room after the water pit teleporter. I noticed small improvements in the "tall spiral staircase" room. In the previous version, standing on the top two steps and throwing the trans up would cause it to bounce off an invisible wall. That seems to be gone now.
Nelsoncarmo26 wrote:The size... it may look like a big map, but remember it goes around, and that's why it seems bigger.
It's large for an invasion map but good for variety. There are plenty of different areas which is good.
Nelsoncarmo26 wrote:I have done quite a few changes, and although some parts are not like the original map of Nosgoth, but I had to lie a little and improvise.
Looks good! Nice to see some more lockers and the addition of health & armor pickups.

Q: Are monsters which fall into the water pit sucked towards the bottom? Also there are some places to camp under the water where you can get pulled towards the bottom but not all the way. I wonder if non-flying monsters may get stuck there. Trying to check this offline in stock invasion mode is rather useless.

Q: Is there a risk or anti-camping measure to prevent sitting on the rapid-spawning mega adren pill?
DW_Ant
DW Clan Member

The clipping issue with the valley occurs whenever the terrain is steep. You can see it in first person when you dodge up the steepest part in the terrain. It shouldn't cause any collision problems in terms of glitching, but it only has a high risk for transing through it. There are several corners I managed to trans under the terrain. I don't think you'll be able to patch it easily other than lowering the BSP floor and adding a killing volume down there.

Many static meshes comes with simplified collision. The cliffs from the DB-Desert1 package are really poor in terms of collision since it was only intended to be in the background. Nelson, you do know how to fix it. You've done it with nearly every single map of yours I think. Undoing simplified collision should sound familiar. Place an original copy of the mesh any where in map (don't rotate or scale). Convert it to mylevel. Then replace your current static meshes with the myleveled static meshes.
If you need to relearn how to do this, read this minor tutorial.

I don't recall seeing any glass BSP or meshes in map, so I won't comment about that yet.

Seven_of_69 wrote:Q: Is there a risk or anti-camping measure to prevent sitting on the rapid-spawning mega adren pill?
The adren spawn and health keg spawn respawn time is ridiculously fast. I don't see it making it to the servers if players could run their triple and globe while rolling weapons when they camp that area. Something needs to be done there.
The difference between successful people from others is
not in the lack of strength,
not in the lack of knowledge,
but rather in the lack of will.

FFE466

Right,
Ant.
The reason you didn't see the glass effect, it's because I already fixed that problem.

I will increase the time for adrenaline respawning, but that means I'm going to have to place some more adrenaline spreaded out the map.
I only placed that one Adrenaline in that one place, so everyone has to travel throught the map to get it.
But I can change that...

As for the Health spawning, what I initially wanted to do is a healing Aura, rather than a health spawn.
I would apreciate help with this, as I tried the scripted trigger (Heal actor). But it doesn't work.
There is a map which has a healing pedestral, and that's what I wanted to do, except I don't know how.

What was the other thing...?
Oh yes, Kill Volume under the terrain... it shall be done.

Also, to answer your question 69... the water in the Abyss is meant to do that.
It's suppose to drag you down.
I have placed a teleporter in the bottom of the Abyss, which will teleport you to the Elder God's Lair.

I think that's it...
I will make the changes... and upload soon.
Nelsoncarmo26
1337 Haxor

Here is the latest version.

Fixed all the issues, and added a few extra things for effects.

Tried to make an healing pedestral, but it requires coding, and I got errors trying to create a new script, so I just placed a normal health keg, and Adrenaline with a decent respawning time window.

Here it is:
[s]http://www.filefront.com/17062769/DM-No ... ss-V1B.zip[/s]
Last edited by Nelsoncarmo26 on Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Skyline
1337 Haxor
Xfire: 40shards

Nelsoncarmo26 wrote:Tried to make an healing pedestral, but it requires coding, and I got errors trying to create a new script, so I just placed a normal health keg, and Adrenaline with a decent respawning time window.
Create a PhysicsVolume with bPainCausing set to True and a negative DamagePerSec if you want an area which heals players.
Nelsoncarmo26
1337 Haxor

Oh, is that simple?
You are a star my friend... I will do that now.

Thank you x3