Need Help for countering DR ignoring Monsters

Check out Death Warrant's Invasion Server
@nt
Pro but Noob

Ever since I returned to the Mash, (once a Monster Masher, always a monster masher) I noticed that I got pretty bad and I get frequently killed by: Titans, Angus, Goros, Triceratops, and Green Raptors (no big suprise). All, which are Damage Reduction Ignoring monsters. I have no trouble with other monsters such as Enlightened, Queens, other monsters.

Since I am beginning to progress out of the lower levels, (119-130) I am more apt to leave the safety of hidey holes and attempt to join the others in the open. However, its those DR ignoring monsters that crush my hopes of fighting in the open, as they just deal so much damage to me, although my DR for WM and Medic are both maxed.

I just wonder, what is it I'm missing? I know that having a petrification, freezing, or knockback weapon helps a lot against raptors, goros, and triceratops, but I need to know how to adapt when I don't have a freezing mp5 that saves me from a goro's deadly horns.

For goros, and triceratops, I've tried quad-jumping out of the way, or strafing. It worked partially, but both of those monsters are still a huge threat to my WM and Medic. (Adrencake for my AM cause I only go in the open with globe) They don't instagib me like titans do, but they still take out a decent amount of my health which I can't counterbalance with my meager 3 Vampirism.

Titans, I really need to know to counter them. They are the bane of my Medic and WM's existances. I'd really appreciate advice other than "don't get hit". Is there some secret to countering titans besides vorpal shock rifle +22? Or is it just gained through practice?

Raptors, I don't plan on going mad trying to find a way to counter them. If I'm going to fight them headon, I'll be using a globe, or backpedaling while pelting them with a petrification weapon. (usually only to find that one has just spawned right behind me.) I'd also really like to know, that about what level of Quickfoot will I need to be able to outrun them?

Thank you if you read this and gave me advice. I also thank anybody who even bothered to look at this.
I like cookies...
DW_Ant
DW Clan Member

Kill them before they kill you.

In all honesty, no one is invulnerable from those monsters (globe excluded). Titans are always one shot kill with their giant boulders. We receive frequent reports of wave 13 Raptors choking over its victims' bones, and many unlucky survivors became paralyzed for accepting a goro's tusk to ram up their spine.

The safest way in staying alive is to play defensively. Dodge all threat. Use trans if undodgable. Use ghost if untransable. After you ghost, go in an area where you are able to dodge or trans.

You get a new ghost after every wave.
The difference between successful people from others is
not in the lack of strength,
not in the lack of knowledge,
but rather in the lack of will.

FFE466

For your WM, get more vampirism and keep shooting while dodging.

For your MM, try to use a medic weapon that can kill and self heal at the same time like mines, rockets or flack balls.

In general, have key binds set up for your weapons so you can quickly switch to the best weapon for the circumstance (i.e. close vs long range, the one that just ran out of ammo vs the one with lots).
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world. Those who read binary, and everyone else.
4013 is only a FAD
And 2989? Well that's just BAD
DW_WailofSuicide
DW Clan Member

The raptors don't ignore DR, so the key to surviving them is really to be maxed out on health and DR, while a low level is alive. If not, they'll just tear you up.
Giggitty

Wouldn't using a Protection weapon help with at least 1 titan rock hit?
DW_Ant
DW Clan Member

Protection weapons do protect you from one shot kills once in awhile. However the protection weapon does not save you from frequent massive hits.

FFE466

for Goros and Triceratops: as BrainPan said, medic ML, more vamp (1 lvl vamp for every 100 hp you can reach with your vamp works fine) and plain quad jumping helps from getting hit too much

for Raptors: lvl 5 quickfoot makes you about as fast as a raptor but since they run straigt at you and you corner around they will always catch up. Dodge+triple jump makes you faster which means you could dodge jump around while facing forward and not care about the raptors behind you. Its still better to play it defensive with a globe. Turn it on if raptors get too close, dodge jump away and turn it off again. (everyone has a globe by wave 13^^)

for Titans: Don't get hit :srofl:
Airmaster is what i use to counter them, makes it possible to abort a jump in a direction when you already see the [highlight=#bfbfbf]stone heading for your landing spot[/highlight]. <-- little hint in there^^
warhead2
1337 Haxor

@ant: pls clarify about protection weapons. will they or will they not protect you from a single one shot kill hit like titans big rock or luci energy ball? this is something i have wondered about for a while...

here are my notes on the subject at hand, which are similar to what others have said already:

@Titans: Always the big problem for everyone. Globe is the easiest answer for all classes, and also have ghost so if you do get rocked you get a free life and then keep your globe on for rest of the wave or hide. However, for weaponmaster and medic another way is to have maxed quickfoot, power jump and airmaster and then with a touch of skill it's quite easy to avoid the rocks except in tightly packed situations. People who spec me while i am on as my WM have often remarked at how easily i avoid the rocks. Airmaster is by far the most crital stat to get for this. You will find once you can strafe easily the rocks are much much easier to avoid, whereas without Airmaster your straffing (side to side movement) is totally pinned down and you are a sitting duck for the rocks. My opinion is Airmaster first, then Quickfoot, perhaps to lvl3, then Power Jump, then then to Quick foot level 5. With my WM i go globeless until i get rocked (IF i get rocked as often i totally avoid it) and then ghost and keep globe on the rest of the wave.

@Raptors:
WeaponMaster: Simply get maxed health and vamp and they are no longer a huge threat(still a threat though if you get sloppy). I was thrilled as a WM and got these stats maxed and then I could go out and hob nob with the raptors. Quick foot helps too with that. if they can't catch you they can't bite you! Don't have quick foot? Try Speed combo instead (WWWW). I find being a WM is the easiest way to deal with raptors, not being an AM. Also the case with the other waves and high powered monsters. I love being the WM and going out and relaxing in waves 14 and 15 while everyone else is hiding and i just use my max vamp to chillax and have a good time.

Adrenmaster: No problem just use globe.

Medic: Oh man raptors are the bane of my existance when i am on as my Medic. I either globe, hide, or outrun them. Quickfoot is obviously good for that but my medic doesn't have QF yet so i often will just use Speed combo to outrun them. By far my Medic class is where i struggle the most with Raptors (wave 13 being the problem wave, as in earlier waves they often are not a problem at all). And yet there is still another way to avoid Raptors which I use all the time with my medic which doesn't involve speed or the globe, and yet is very effective and can be used quite succesfully as long as you practice at it, and that is using dodge jumping. I can dodge jump all through wave 13 and not die. Only problem with that, is it's work :sgiggle:, so obviously i don't like to do it a lot but do it when i have to. while pressing forward with W, double tap using A or D to dodge jump, and then jump using SPACE at the apex of your dodge jump. this also works by going forward using W and then quickly double tapping the WW to dodge forward and jumping at the apex, but doing the side dodge forward jump using W & A/D is by far the most effective and longest jump. Been using it for years in UT and all game types to travel faster than your average bear and it gives you a huge advantage over those who don't know the jump.

for other critters and my medic i have Life Burst bound to my B key (set input B selectlifeburst i believe is the console command so something like that). now my medic can easily survive in wave 14 and 15 by just using B for use my life burst and keeping myself all healed up.
Warning: Incoming Warhead!!
Wanted on 1000 planets for mass destruction of alien life forms!
DW_Ant
DW Clan Member

warhead2 wrote:@ant: pls clarify about protection weapons. will they or will they not protect you from a single one shot kill hit like titans big rock or luci energy ball? this is something i have wondered about for a while...
RW_EWProtection.WeaponDescription wrote:While held, reduces damage taken from all sources by a percentage. When a player takes damage sufficient to kill them, they will be momentarily protected from that damage, but this effect can only trigger once every few seconds.

FFE466

Every few seconds? I thought Protection could only protect you from a kill once a wave or not?