Retaliation Skill vs. Weapon Enhancement

Check out Death Warrant's Invasion Server
Eric
Killer in Training
Xfire: Eric

Does anyone know why the Retaliation Skill is so useless compared to the Retaliation Magic Weapon Enhancement? Level 1 of the Weapon is more effective than Level 10 of the skill. To me it seems that the skill is broken. Any of the admins know why this is happening? Thanks for any information.
UT2004
Monster Mash Server 2
Weapon Master: Eric Level 331
Adrenaline Master: Eric2 Level 319
Medic/Monster Master: Eric3 Level 202
No Class: Eric4 Level 71
DW_WailofSuicide
DW Clan Member

I haven't investigated this really but I suspect it occurs after your DR, which means you inflict retaliation damage as a percentage of what you took, which itself is then reduced by monster DR. And typically once monster DB becomes high enough to hurt (250-350 DB) then monster DR is also high enough to shrug off the damage (ex. You take 500 final dmg, 50% of that is returned to the monster as 250 dmg, reduced by 50% or more by enemy DR so you're dealing maybe 1 rocket worth of damage per hit of that strength).

I vaguely recall the skill just being outright broken too. (But honestly, do we really want people being able to passively kill monsters?)
BrianTheCorrupt
Killer in Training

I had a thought/idea on this and decided to post it.

Since the Retaliation skill seems to be underpowered when Monster Level is Low, but practically useless when you're quickly killed at a Monster Level (i.e. 200+), maybe have it within the Artifact Rotation for people who've got the Retaliation Skill that they can activate/deactivate at any time. Activation would cost between 5-15 Adrenaline per Second (Minimum to Activate being 10-30 Adrenaline), and would lower Damage Reduction just enough for users to take some damage and return some to Monsters.

Although this might be an interesting way to revamp the Retaliation Skill, I suppose it would cause problems with Retaliation Weapon users/the Current Setup of the Skill. But this method would require users to be present and NOT be Away From Keyboard (AFK) to activate the Skill.

Anyways, just something to get off my mind while I had the thought.
My Classes In MMs2:

BrianTheCorrupt - M/MM: Lv 638
BrianTheEnraged - AM: Lv 708
BrianTheGunzerkr - WM: Lv 318

My Map Projects (All on hold):
DM-Tourian
DM-DarkAgonWastes
DM-CargoTrain
DW_WailofSuicide
DW Clan Member

BrianTheCorrupt wrote:I had a thought/idea on this and decided to post it.

Since the Retaliation skill seems to be underpowered when Monster Level is Low, but practically useless when you're quickly killed at a Monster Level (i.e. 200+), maybe have it within the Artifact Rotation for people who've got the Retaliation Skill that they can activate/deactivate at any time. Activation would cost between 5-15 Adrenaline per Second (Minimum to Activate being 10-30 Adrenaline), and would lower Damage Reduction just enough for users to take some damage and return some to Monsters.

Although this might be an interesting way to revamp the Retaliation Skill, I suppose it would cause problems with Retaliation Weapon users/the Current Setup of the Skill. But this method would require users to be present and NOT be Away From Keyboard (AFK) to activate the Skill.

Anyways, just something to get off my mind while I had the thought.
If I were going to revamp this skill this is exactly what I would do. Always-on damage retaliation is boring, but damage retaliation that has some kind of tradeoff at least can seem somewhat meaningful.
Eric
Killer in Training
Xfire: Eric

Thanks for the reply Wail. I have Level 4 of the Retaliation skill now. I think I'll just stop wasting stat points on it and do other things. I'll max it at the end. Thanks!!
UT2004
Monster Mash Server 2
Weapon Master: Eric Level 331
Adrenaline Master: Eric2 Level 319
Medic/Monster Master: Eric3 Level 202
No Class: Eric4 Level 71
warhead2
1337 Haxor

I am maxed on that skill and it hardly ever works, so yes, for now you will want to stop investing until the very end and you have nothing else to spend on. From my memory, this topic came up before and the answer was that it's totally broken for most monster types and doesn't work at all. I for one would welcome the fixing of this skill and it simply working as advertised. However it's been like this for a while and fixing would upset the balance of the server and so if simply fixing it is too repugnant then brian's idea would be fine too. It's a pretty decent idea and I would welcome it also.
Warning: Incoming Warhead!!
Wanted on 1000 planets for mass destruction of alien life forms!