Can't connect to the freon server for weeks now.

Forum for Death Warrant's TAM server
DW_KarmaKat
Site Admin
Xfire: KarmaKat

Hey all!

I retrieved your GUID, Schpammer. I've checked the Access Policies for Infamous and you are -not- on the server ban list. However, we do run UTAN on Infamous and Spam Vikings. Please try joining Spam Vikings and see if you can get in there so we can verify you don't have a ban in effect. If you can, then I'm thinking that somewhere along the line, you've got a port that's being blocked....either on your own firewall or router or possibly by your ISP. Port number for Infamous is: 4444

KKat
:flower:
Karma...a term that comprises the entire cycle of cause & effect...
Kat...a supercilious quadrupedal pile of fur that doesn´t give a flying fig for Karma...
DW_Snaggle
DW Clan Member

When you next try to connect and it fails, immediately exit UT and take a look in your log file in C:\UT2004\System\UT2004.log Towards the end it may tell you something about why it is failing to connect. If it doesn't make much sense, you can post a sanitized excerpt here.

BTW, *any* ban will let the player know they've been banned, not just hang as you seem to be experiencing.

Port blocking seems to be all the rage. We had one clan member have a similar issue on Infamous. Which ISP are you with?

Snaggle.
schpammer

Thanks, everyone. I appreciate the suggestions. :)

Ok, I can connect to Spam Vikings. Also, I did open port 4444 in my router before I posted, so maybe it is my ISP blocking the port. I use Wide Open West, btw. As far as I know, they don't block ports, according to the guys at http://www.dslreports.com/forum/wow. I've been using them for years and so far they have been an amazing ISP. Nonetheless, I'll get on the phone right now and ask them to check it out for me.

Btw, this is a fresh install of windows and UT, aside from a few things I copied over like .ini files and some crosshair stuff.

Also, here is an excerpt from my .log file:

Log:Browse:216.86.152.24:4444/Index.ut2?Name=schpammer?Class=Engine.Pawn?Character=Abaddon?team=255
ScriptLog: PlayerController.ProgressCommand Cmd 'menu:GUI2K4.UT2K4DisconnectOptionPage' Msg1 'Connection failed' Msg2 'Connection failed'
Log: Pending connect to '216.86.152.24:4444/Index.ut2?Name=schpammer?Class=Engine.Pawn?Character=Abaddon?team=255' failed; Connection failed
NetComeGo: Close TcpipConnection 216.86.152.24:4444 08/06/09 17:45:35
Exit: Socket shut down
Log: appRequestExit(0)
Exit: Preparing to exit.
Log: Purging garbage
Log: Unbound to Window.dll
Log: Unbound to Core.dll
Log: Unbound to Engine.dll
Exit: Game engine shut down
Log: Unbound to WinDrv.dll
Exit: Windows client shut down

EDIT: I called my ISP and they reassured me that they don't block any ports. I also took my router out of the equation by connecting straight to to the modem. Still no deals :(

Thanks again. :)
void planets roll, regardless of desolation
DW_Snaggle
DW Clan Member

OK. If they are adamant (as in 'certain', not a 70's/80's singer) about not blocking the port and you've removed the router from the equation, then I'm guessing you may have a software firewall enabled (Norton, Windows FW, etc.) that may be blocking that port number. Either that or one of your ISP's up-stream providers is blocking it without their knowledge. It's an unfortunate port number since it was used by the Blaster worm some time back.

If all else fails (and this is going to sound insane to a Windows person) try booting a Linux LiveCD of some sort and use the 'traceroute' command from a console/xterm to see where the packets stop. This command uses UDP packets by default and will send packets to a specific port if asked nicely, like this:

Code: Select all

traceroute -U -p 4444 216.86.152.24
There are some very simple Linux distros out there that can even be booted from a USB stick. Damn Small Linux (aka DSL) and PuppyLinux jump to mind.

Catch us in Vent if you need help with this.

HTH

Snaggle.

EDIT: Added '-U' to traceroute to force consistent use of specified port. D'oh! :drunken:
schpammer

Thanks, Snaggle. I'll give a traceroute in Linux a try. Being that this is a fresh install of windows, I just got around to installing Zone Alarm last night. So unless Window's firewall blocks 4444 by default, I don't think that's the problem. I'm guessing that it's an upstream provider, as you suggested. And if that's the case, do you think that I'd have any way to influence that? It seems to me that I'm kinda screwed in this case. :(

Again, thanks for your help.
void planets roll, regardless of desolation
DW_Snaggle
DW Clan Member

schpammer wrote:Thanks, Snaggle. I'll give a traceroute in Linux a try. Being that this is a fresh install of windows, I just got around to installing Zone Alarm last night. So unless Window's firewall blocks 4444 by default, I don't think that's the problem.
I wouldn't be surprised if it does. 4444 was used by the Blaster worm which caused all Windows users and especially Micro$oft a bunch of heart-ache a while back. That is the sort of draconian measure I would expect them to do.
I'm guessing that it's an upstream provider, as you suggested. And if that's the case, do you think that I'd have any way to influence that? It seems to me that I'm kinda screwed in this case.
If you can prove to your ISP that it is them or an upstream provider you can get them to fix it in their network or get them to go to bat for you with the upstream guys. At least I hope they would as you are one of their customers after all.

Snaggle.