Possible max texture size?

Mapmaking? Modeling? Discuss all that stuff that's too complicated for most mere mortals here.
Marius
Killer in Training

Is there a max tex size ut2004 takes?

I am thinking about making a set of 8192x8192 or higher textures to remap some of the ones used in maps currently..

however not too sure how intensive that is. It just weighs on the VRAM correct?

Would 16384^2 textures be too big?
DW_Ant
DW Clan Member

As long as it's in powers of two, it should work, but a texture that size means it's really going to boost your map size and much longer downloading & loading time. I'm pretty sure it'll slow the render time as well.

I highly recommend to create your image first at that size, then scale it into 1024X1024. After all, you can always enlarge the texture in the map ;)
The difference between successful people from others is
not in the lack of strength,
not in the lack of knowledge,
but rather in the lack of will.

FFE466

At the size that I specified? the 16k or the 8k?

I've never really made textures before but the process interests me and so I might start...

With some pictures and photoshop you can turn out some nice textures? Just edit it to tile?
DW_Ant
DW Clan Member

I max size I recommend you should build is 1024.

Whenever you are done editing the 16k or 8k texture, just scale it down to 1024 before you import it to Unreal Ed.

FFE466

Marius wrote: I am thinking about making a set of 8192x8192 or higher textures to remap some of the ones used in maps currently..

Would 16384^2 textures be too big?
One 8192^2 texture is going to be ~8MB by itself. A 16384^2 texture will be ~16MB.

In short, yes they are probably too big. 2-4 textures that size and you will be pushing UT3 map sizes. The biggest textures I've ever seen used in game are 2048^2, and those are usually reserved for terrain textures that are the main texture used in an ONS map.

I have no problem downloading a beautiful 50MB map, mind you, but there's a lot more to making an awesome map than using a large texture.
Marius
Killer in Training

Actually..

The reason I am asking is because I recently bought Fallout 3 and the game was pretty nice, but I found some 4096x4096 and 8192x8192 texture packs that made everything so much better.

I was recently looking at some of the textures in game and realized that they could be made much better (i.e. rock textures, where you could just go out and take a bunch of pictures, then collaborate them to create super-hi-res textures).

So I would need UnrealEd and Photoshop, correct? That would cover everything? Or Would I need 3D Max to create custom shapes?
DW_Ant
DW Clan Member

Marius wrote:Actually..

The reason I am asking is because I recently bought Fallout 3 and the game was pretty nice, but I found some 4096x4096 and 8192x8192 texture packs that made everything so much better.

I was recently looking at some of the textures in game and realized that they could be made much better (i.e. rock textures, where you could just go out and take a bunch of pictures, then collaborate them to create super-hi-res textures).
Keep in mind that Fallout III has a high demand in hardware. If you are planning on converting a map from Fallout to UT2k4, you should downgrade the map, itself so it'll meet the hardware standards for 2k4.

I still recommend scaling those textures down.

Marius wrote:So I would need UnrealEd and Photoshop, correct? That would cover everything? Or Would I need 3D Max to create custom shapes?
You'll need:
UnrealEd to modify the map itself & import the resources
Photoshop (or any other image editing program) to modify the textures (this is where you'll scale the texture size).
Maya, 3D Max, or Blender will do the trick when it comes to modifying Static Meshes or other 3D models.

FFE466

The only things you really need to create hi res textures is Photoshop. Obviously you'd need UnrealEd to get them into a map.
If you wanted them on a static mesh you'd need some kind of 3D program to UV map the mesh, but you'd need a 3D program to make the mesh anyway.

I'm not sure UT2004 will gain that much from higher resolution textures (more advanced shader effects would add much more) but if you think you can produce them I wouldn't mind seeing them. Worst comes to worst they could always be downscaled.
Marius
Killer in Training

Haha all right.

Right now I have discovered Blender :love10:

My first project is Indy's hat.

This is really the first thing that has made me glad I bought a quad-core lol.

After that I think I will start off with rock textures.

Thanks for the heads up on the programs Ant :)
DW_Ant
DW Clan Member

Marius wrote:Thanks for the heads up on the programs Ant :)
Hey no problem. Savage recently post up a tutorial based on the Blender program.

Blender Tutorial

I'm sure this will help ya out ;)

FFE466