DM-SC-Anniversary-HB-SE

Mapmaking? Modeling? Discuss all that stuff that's too complicated for most mere mortals here.
DW_Apok@lypse
DW Clan Member
Xfire: apokalypse86

Hey all :swink: ,
i had a new idea. For the first anniversary of Clan SISSY, i thought to build another map. I have catched some new fresh ideas from my Clan Members (but there are top secret for the moment :swink: ). Every Clan member will have a room in a big building. I try to build it now and if there are some problems , i will post it here :ssmile: .

If you are a member of Clan SISSY please PM me, to write how your room should look like. Where should be the traps, the furniture.... ( for surprise effect).

Apo :sbigsmile:
Energy-Plant -> Elimination-Chamber -> Crossfire-Xtreme -> Anniversary
Nano-Technics -> Choco-Wars -> Dragon-Tower ->
(Next Map Fall 2016) Survive
DW_Apok@lypse
DW Clan Member

Is it possible to use the function random on UnrealEd?
If yes, how can i use it on buttons and movers?

DW_Ant
DW Clan Member

The scripted trigger contains an action called IFRANDOMPCT (all caps for some reason).

You just type in a number between 0 - 1. 1 being 100% and 0 being 0%.

If the random generator passes, then it'll go to the next action.
If the random generator fails, then it'll jump to the next EndSection action. (simply skips a section between IfRandomPCT and EndSection)

So in your case, if you want a mover to trigger based on a random chance the player presses this button then your scripted trigger will look like this:
[0]WaitForEvent
-ExternalEvent = UseTriggerButtonEvent
[1]IFRANDOMPCT
-Probability = 0.5 (for 50%) or 0.75 (for 75%)
[2]TriggerEvent
-Event = MoverTag
[3]GoToAction
-ActionNumber = 8 (mover is triggered, disable this script. Or If set this to 0 if you want this script to loop)
[4]EndSection (this is where the flow of control goes to, if the probability didn't pass. Note: If it weren't for the [3]GoToAction, even the passed probabilities will go through the next few actions after executing what's between IfRandomPCT and EndSection.)
[5]DisplayMessage (just for visual proof)
-Message = "Access denied, try again later."
[6]WaitForEvent
-ExternalEvent = SomeEventThatMustBeTriggeredAgainBeforePlayerCanAccessButtonAgain
[7]GoToAction
-ActionNumber = 0 (go to beginning)
[8]DisableThisScript

I don't exactly know your scenario; this is the best prediction I can make here. Hopefully, you can associate this script with yours. Good luck!
The difference between successful people from others is
not in the lack of strength,
not in the lack of knowledge,
but rather in the lack of will.

FFE466

Thank you very much Ant :cheers: .

I wanna build a mansion for all the 20 members. Is it possible to play invasion with that value of rooms? Because i play UnrealVille and i thought it can be possible to play this map too.

DW_Ant
DW Clan Member

Apok@lypse wrote:I wanna build a mansion for all the 20 members. Is it possible to play invasion with that value of rooms? Because i play UnrealVille and i thought it can be possible to play this map too.
UnrealVille's rooms are small (about 512X512-1024X1024), and the layout is fairly simple (It's a circle).
You ought to remember that players have the worst navigation abilities imaginable. The map Quilted Edifice proves that majority of the players could easily get lost in a map even if it's in a Y formation using four rooms. I still haven't figured out what's difficult about it; perhaps it's the size of each room.

Here's the breakdown:
  • Leaving your layout (organization for all rooms) as simple as possible. Circle formation seems to work for UnrealVille. Maybe you could do something different involving with multiple floors.
  • Separate the rooms so that the players aren't rendering everything. UnrealVille use to have very slow frame rates until fog came in. If you don't want a foggy mansion, then zoning will be your key optimization tool.
  • 20 rooms are a bit much but it is doable. Make each room as small as possible but enough to put in what you need in. Also merging a few rooms (two members for this room isn't a bad idea either)
  • The gameplay may suffer a bit if it's going to be a labyrinth of rooms. I would recommend some fighting areas (like the lobby of the mansion or something)
I know this may be a difficult task, but I'm confident that your skills can handle such a challenge.[/color]

FFE466

Thanks for the trust Ant :thumbright: ,
i am ready for the challenge and i enjoy the time here :ssmile: .
Some of the members want a room neighbour, maybe there is a way to reduce the rooms. Is it a good idea to make an outdoor map?

I wanna try to model some horses with blender. I watched on youtube some tutorial about blender and modelling. But i didn´t found how to export the horse statue from blender and to import the horse statue to unrealed?

DW_Ant
DW Clan Member

Outdoors isn't a bad idea, but you'll face some more challenges.

First off, the optimization will be more difficult. If you are planning on having many windows for the mansion, zoning and antiportals will be very difficult to utilize. Either limit the size of each window, reduce the number of windows, or restrict the outdoors to one side of the mansion (only in the backyard for example) to ensure a playable performance in the later waves.

Second, I have the most difficulty in decorating a building's exterior since there aren't any unique static meshes designed for these kind of BSP brushes (notice the detail difference in Flight between interior and exterior). But you seemed to pull it off well in Crossfire, so this may not be an issue to you.

Third, the map size sounds like it's already large. Be careful in not making it too large. I don't know the size of your map at the moment, so I can't supply any suggestions. I trust you know what you're doing though.

Outside of these three things, you should be good. I'll say go for it if you're up for it.

Now for your static meshes. This is fantastic news that you're learning modeling. You're one step ahead of me :thumbright:

I don't think that you export the static mesh to UnrealEd; instead, you import the static mesh. In Blender, save the model as an ASE or a lwo (that's an 'L'). Open UnrealEd with your map and go to the static mesh browser. File---> import your model and send it to the package mylevel and you should be good to go. This is what I did when importing the caverns in Absolute Hell. I'm sure it'll work for you, too.

FFE466

My Blender Project is working good. TY Ant :ssmile: .

I have an evil idea :devil: (spoiler) and i want something to do with some movers in unreal, but i saw that they can do 7 mover actions.

Is it possible to make more then 7 mover actions?

Thanks for help
DW_Ant
DW Clan Member

Apok@lypse wrote:Is it possible to make more then 7 mover actions?

Thanks for help
Yes. A mover can have up to 24 Keys.

I believe you already adjusted the NumKey property equal to the number of keyframes you're going to be using.

You can place your first 7 keyframes as you normally would.
Anything higher you'll have to position your mover to your new keyframe.
Open mover properties ---> mover ---> KeyNum (not NumKey) = to the current Keyframe. So you'll set this to eight if this was on up from 7.

Going back to your viewport, you'll find your mover's pivot point at the same spot, but the mover moved back to keyframe 1.

To reset the pivot, simply click on the mover again.

Repeat this process for keyframes 9, 10, 11, ... (n-1)

At the last keyframe, you can use the shortcut menu (keyframe 0)

Have fun.

FFE466

Wow can´t save myself from private work :ssad: .
I try to survive these days to have a bit time for UnrealED.

Here is a screenshot of the mansion (only from inside, because map will not be able to play online. :sbigsmile: ). Hope you like it. :ssmile: .

Current map size:
X:4000
Y:6000
Z:1200

Estimated Rooms: 16 / 20
Trials on Map: 50 percent (maybe)