What will happen if I remove my ut cache?

Mapmaking? Modeling? Discuss all that stuff that's too complicated for most mere mortals here.
JulianKingOfNothing
1337 Haxor
Xfire: dont remember

I still can't get on UT, been like this for over a year and a half now. But now while cleaning out my computer, I stumbled upon the UT2004 cache, containing over 18GB of memory.
So I was wondering, if I delete all of this, will this affect the game when I get it to work again? Or can I just delete everything in there?

And if someone has any news how to get ut2004 to work on a mac again, lemme know. :sangel:
DW_Ant
DW Clan Member

JulianKingOfNothing wrote:I still can't get on UT, been like this for over a year and a half now. But now while cleaning out my computer, I stumbled upon the UT2004 cache, containing over 18GB of memory.
So I was wondering, if I delete all of this, will this affect the game when I get it to work again? Or can I just delete everything in there?

And if someone has any news how to get ut2004 to work on a mac again, lemme know. :sangel:
Clearing your cache may potentially fix some online problems. For example, you couldn't connect to the server because the copy of the map got corrupted in your cache some how. 18 Gigs is quite a bit of memory though. I think a refresh in your cache is a good idea just for the sake of removing old files.

If you say you can't run UT in general, then I don't think this will fix the problem. What does your log say? The log can be found in UT2004/System/UT2004.log. In that text file, look for the critical line(s) that'll describe why it is crashing.

If all else fails, can't you reinstall UT?
The difference between successful people from others is
not in the lack of strength,
not in the lack of knowledge,
but rather in the lack of will.

FFE466

Deleting the files in your cache will cause no problems - you can just redownload the files again. But as Ant said, it's doubtful if this will help your crashing problem.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world. Those who read binary, and everyone else.
4013 is only a FAD
And 2989? Well that's just BAD
JulianKingOfNothing
1337 Haxor
Xfire: dont remember

Clearing my cache didn't fix anything for me at all, as expected.
About the log, didn't find any UT2004.log in my System folder. But here's the problem:
http://www.clandw.org/forums/11/3485

Reinstalled it a few time, without success.. Guess I'll just have to live without it :(

But thx for the help
DW_BrainPan
DW Clan Member

Sounds like it's a problem with that deprecated app. Have you looked into running windows on the mac through a virtual machine.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world. Those who read binary, and everyone else.
4013 is only a FAD
And 2989? Well that's just BAD
DW_WailofSuicide
DW Clan Member

Man, I'd be eating liver if Steve Jobs were standing between me and UT2004.