Mapping Tutorial: Building first Map

Here's a specific forum for discussing potential maps, maps that need a vacation and optimizations and modifications for better playability.
JulianKingOfNothing
1337 Haxor
Xfire: dont remember

DW_Ant wrote:Is there enough space on the other end of the teleporter for the player to teleport?
Are the collisions of the teleporters set to default values?
Enough space you say, eh? :geek:
Yeah, I placed a mesh at the other side near the teleporter to see where I would end up.. That probably stopped me from teleporting. I'll try again thx !

Oh yea and everything is left as default
DW_Apok@lypse
DW Clan Member
Xfire: apokalypse86

Hello everybody,
im still working on maps, because i will make it better then my first map. :sbigsmile:

I can help you Julian, if you upload the map to filefront, i will look what is wrong with that teleporter. :idea: :ssmile:

Send me private message for download link.

I will send your map to filefront and then i send you a private message for download link to download the fixed map.

After that i erase the map from my filefront account.

Best desires

Apo :sbigsmile:
Energy-Plant -> Elimination-Chamber -> Crossfire-Xtreme -> Anniversary
Nano-Technics -> Choco-Wars -> Dragon-Tower ->
(Next Map Fall 2016) Survive
JulianKingOfNothing
1337 Haxor
Xfire: dont remember

Do you mind if I send it to your yahoo? Because I don't have a filefront account ;)
DW_Apok@lypse
DW Clan Member
Xfire: apokalypse86

Ok, with yahoo messenger :ssmile: .
In the evening im online.

Cya then at yahoo :sbigsmile:

Julian i make teleporters :cheers:

Teleporter 1 is in center of bigroom and teleporter 2 is in secret (red room). You can teleport from teleporter 1 to teleporter 2 and and same from teleporter 2 to teleporter 1.

Look at teleporter properties, Ant post it, how you can modify the teleporters :ssmile: .

Ant your map DM-Absolute-Hell-beta4 is very cool it´s my favorite map :ssmile:

Apo :sbigsmile:

PS: Energy-Plant-XS gets a new style cya on vent Ant :ssmile:
Energy-Plant -> Elimination-Chamber -> Crossfire-Xtreme -> Anniversary
Nano-Technics -> Choco-Wars -> Dragon-Tower ->
(Next Map Fall 2016) Survive
{LE}Leon
Killer in Training
Xfire: thechosenhelldemon

yo all, its been a while hasnt it?? :P
how r you??
eeehm i have oone question about maps again xD
eeehm antone who may be able to answer this one:
how can i add text to my objects??
{LE}Leon
Limited Edition but always in storage at MonsterMash server 1 :D
i raised from dust and i shall become dust..... but in the meantime i shall KICK SOME ASS!!!!!
DW_Ant
DW Clan Member

Outside of manually pasting your text in the texture itself, you can try using projectors.

First create a texture using photoshop or paint with the text you want on it.

In the editor, place a projector actor in your map. It can be found in the actor class browser ---> Projector

Angle the projector at an angle you want the text to project on your surface(s). Open the projector properties.
Go to the projector properties. Use your myleveled texture for your ProjTexture property.
Also you'll need to modify other properties like Trace Range (distance the projector projects the image), what kind of surfaces will display the projector, etc...
The difference between successful people from others is
not in the lack of strength,
not in the lack of knowledge,
but rather in the lack of will.

FFE466

also could try just making a small flat actor with the text texture on it and then you could place an instance of that text actor on any object you want, in other words, it's like making a Sign you can put anywhere.
Warning: Incoming Warhead!!
Wanted on 1000 planets for mass destruction of alien life forms!
{LE}Leon
Killer in Training
Xfire: thechosenhelldemon

hmmm that sounds like it can be a good idea though i do not really know what u mean ant,
warhead can you explain me how to do that in detail? i think that might work
{LE}Leon
Limited Edition but always in storage at MonsterMash server 1 :D
i raised from dust and i shall become dust..... but in the meantime i shall KICK SOME ASS!!!!!
DW_Ant
DW Clan Member

A projector is an actor that projects an image on any surface (like a real life projector).

All you have to do, is place the projector, set the material you want the projector to project, and modify the properties like the range of the image, etc...

Warhead is talking about making a sheet sign over your surface. Simply customize your texture with the text, and add a sheet brush in front of the surface where you want the text to be displayed.
The difference between successful people from others is
not in the lack of strength,
not in the lack of knowledge,
but rather in the lack of will.

FFE466

actually i was thinking more of a separate actor based on a mesh, but what Ant says about the brush sounds much better and easier. the projector idea sounds pretty easy too. i havn't done anything in the 2004 editor in a long time so i don't remember exact details, but there are lots of tutorials out there on these kind of things. if you wanted to go the way of making a sign mesh you would just have to create a new flat mesh in editor and apply the texture to it. you have to lay out the vertices and all that but it's pretty easy with a more or less flat surface. a new actor justs gives you an independant actor you can quickly throw anywhere, but the advanatage of ant's project/brush is that it would more seemlessly integrate with the target object surface, so for example if object had some curve to it, the project should bend the texture over it, and etc. my mappings concepts are pretty rusty so all i can do is throw out ideas, if you need more help on details Ant s/b able to or you can find tutorials, all hail Google.
Warning: Incoming Warhead!!
Wanted on 1000 planets for mass destruction of alien life forms!