Weapon Limitation Volume

Here's a specific forum for discussing potential maps, maps that need a vacation and optimizations and modifications for better playability.
40_Shards
1337 Haxor

For some new maps, Wail had the idea of taking specific weapons away from WMs on some maps and creating no pickup bases or weapon lockers with them in, to make the map harder. I've looked into it, and it seems to be simpler than it seems.

We could take weapons off the WMs, but then it's far simpler just to make them useless. I tried a few volumes and the BlockingVolume is the one which really works. Here's what I did:

1. Built a room
2. Put a large blocking volume in the middle
3. Added a light and playerstart
4. Changed the blocking volume's BlockingVolume -> bClassBlocker to True
5. Added xweapons.bioglob, xweapons.rocketproj and onslaught.onsmineprojectile to BlockedClasses
6. Played it and summoned Bio Rifle, RL and Mine Layer (otherwise just add weapon bases)
7. Tried shooting in the volume and from the outside through the volume.

Shooting in the volume instantly destroyed the projectiles without harm, but shooting through it allowed them through (though it could be useful for another type of map :idea: ). Since we can surround the entire map with one of these volumes, it would be impossible for anyone to shoot from the outside in.

Screen: Image The only problem we have is that monsters such as Graah and Kabuki use Bio Rifles and the like, so they might not be able to use them. We could just give them a MonsterBioRifle, exactly the same but excluded from the volumes. Or we could just let them suffer :cheers:

Anyway, try it, and I hope to see more lightning guns being used in the future!
(even if it's the only weapon allowed)
Last edited by 40_Shards on Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I love the smell of UnrealEd crashing in the morning.
superchav
1337 Haxor

Umm its easy to remove their projectiles from game witht he block volume, such as in DM-Egyptianwarground where i blocked trans in the trial room but forgot to block rpg artifacts, im sure there is a blocking volume which also removes inventory items instead of what they shoot
ImageImage
40_Shards
1337 Haxor

I meant specific weapons, not all weapons (edited).
DW_WailofSuicide
DW Clan Member

Do not ever do this.
DW_Ant
DW Clan Member

Wouldn't the mines & rockets explode in your face? I don't think players will be happy about that. What you can do instead is a limitation volume (instead of blocking). Those volumes will peacefully remove the projectiles (if set to true in properties) instead of blowing them up :)
But please place them in a reasonable place. It will be a bad idea to place these in the middle of the battlefield.

But what you did point out is quite useful for the exact oposite. You can place a solid "Cage-like" static mesh & set the collision properties to true but the bZeroExtentTraces to false, so that way the static mesh still blocks players & trans, but not projectiles & minigun/mp5 bullets :)
The difference between successful people from others is
not in the lack of strength,
not in the lack of knowledge,
but rather in the lack of will.

FFE466

Yes and i mean specific weapons also, No they dont blow up in your face it completely stops them from spawning, when you shoot theres a .00000001 of a second that the game engine processes what is going to happen, and the blocking volume can stop them from even leaving ur chamber. but good point about the static mesh props.
ImageImage
40_Shards
1337 Haxor

D2Boss wrote:Wouldn't the mines & rockets explode in your face?
Ultra-whoops. I always turn god mode on (for some reason) and completely forgot about that. :banghead:

EDIT: Wait a minute. I didn't turn it on. It doesn't harm me... :cheers:

Neither the rockets, mine layer or bio rifle do any harm at all. They just explode visually.
superchav
1337 Haxor

Hmmm when i r do a blocking volume for projectiles i dont get any visual stuff its just like i didnt shoot.

Oh and wat u think of my new sig?
ImageImage
40_Shards
1337 Haxor

superchav wrote:Hmmm when i r do a blocking volume for projectiles i dont get any visual stuff its just like i didnt shoot.
Maybe you didn't set ClassBlocker to true, or your detail's set lower than mine. Definitely shows in the screen.
superchav wrote:Oh and wat u think of my new sig?
You're very good with photoshop :thumbleft: . Though there's no heli in UT. Yet.
DW_Cheapshot
DW Clan Member

May I ask 40_Shards why you would want to imbalance the entire game by distorting the wep master by removing weapons. This doesnt make since to my obviously small mind. Rather than just making the game appear harder you would be distorting the designed balance of the game.
You must be a medic or a adren master. If your goal is to make the game harder just turn up the monsters. I will bet we can do that for you.
Am I missing a goal here? You need to remember that a adren master can up his or her few weapons. The weapons master plays with what he or she gets. And no I dont accept that a adren can fix up the wm s guns. I have played many maps where there was no adren master to help or the ones that were in game were DICKS and would not help. FYI I play mostly adren master now but still play wp at times. Cheap. We have maps now that classes of players leave the server because of the map and guns available. Is this our goal? I dont think so.