Map Ready for Testing/Modification

Here's a specific forum for discussing potential maps, maps that need a vacation and optimizations and modifications for better playability.
Envy
Killer in Training

Hello all, I'm alive!
School firewall is still blocking me so you wont see me on :( But they cant stop me from making a map when the mood strikes me XD

Well, I am just finishing off a new map, and believe it ready for the testing stage. Let me know where to upload it so you can look at it.

Also, I would encourage and appreciate any other mappers to take it and modify/fix/upgrade it. Let me know if you want a copy of it and I'll happily send it.
Thanks all. (And no I have not named it yet)
*edit* Available at http://hosted.filefront.com/Envy67

Thanks for your time guys, hope you enjoy yourselves.
Envy
Last edited by Envy on Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Such is the form of my sin.
DW_Ant
DW Clan Member

Peeps usually either email it directly to Wraith or posted it in their filefront or file share account... Where can we find this?
The difference between successful people from others is
not in the lack of strength,
not in the lack of knowledge,
but rather in the lack of will.

FFE466

Xfire: dracothedragon73

hi, well i downloaded it and opened it up in the editor (although i didnt play it cause of the lms, and was too lazy to change it lol) but there are a few things right off the bat i saw in the editor.

1. fix the stretched floor texture in the white tunnels
2. align your textures (its kind of a pet peeve of mine lol) you have that green metal texture used all over the place, but none of the plates match up and looks kind of funny
3. add some new textures, i think for the entire map you have 2 main textures, the white metal and the green metal. you may want to add multiple texutres, make 1 for the floors, 1 for the walls, and 1 for the cealing. it helps add depth to a bps map.
4. you may want to throw down some blocking actors around some of your static meshes, especially the bridges to make sure no one glitches and falls through them to their death. (static meshes are funny like that if you haven't experienced it yet lol)
5. I didnt see a kill volume at the bottom of your map, put one if you dont have one so people arent wondering around the bottom of the map when they fall off lol...if you do have something already then just disregard this.
6. I also noticed there were no zone portals, now on a map of this size with very little going on it probably wont be a problem either way, but in the future you will def want to learn how to zone portal, calculate where you want your zones, and zone every map.
7. also saw some "lips" in your bsp intersections so on your next map make sure to make good use of your intersect and desect tools :)
8. also saw some adren pick ups, you may want to replace the muliadrens with one larger pill to cut down on channels.

well i gota run, i may take another look at it later, but nice starter map
DW_Ant
DW Clan Member

Major leap from Cubis to _unnamed

Here are my thoughts:
  • Please add diverse textures. One of the major flaws from Cubis is that you used one texture. Same issue here. You should add more than 1-5 textures. Shoot for 10 different textures, and you'll see how neat it'll look ;)
    I gotta place my texture index on the forums some day to make this easier ^.^
  • As Draco mentioned earlier, the stretched floors/ceilings are not so hot. To fix this problem, be sure you align them planar floor (not planar walls for the floors/ceilings).
  • Sky? Could use a sky here.
  • I see you used the Zkill to eliminate the actors that fall. One thing I should point out that it'll kill AM globers (kills their ghost and recall wont work) and it'll glitch luci. I suggest placing a luci teleporter and a killing volume instead.
  • Last thing, please don't place a "_" or an "A" in front of your map name. It's just lame to see those characters inserted simply to see your map placed on top of the map list. Next thing we noticed is that we see maps with the name DM-AAAA_A00AChinaVersionII >.<
I clearly see you are growing rapidly, and you are doing excellent at your pace. Keep up the great work![/color]

FFE466

Thanks Boss and Draco for looking at it.

Cubis was mostly me fooling around with the editor trying to figure out how to make, modify, and move objects.
Ah, I didn't really worry about how pretty the map was, I just wanted to see if it the concept is worth the effort before doing all the aesthetics on it. I guess it does take away from the map however, I'll keep that in mind.
As for the adren, I don't know where to find the different adren pills, and cant seem to modify the value of the existing ones.
I'll have to play around with the intersect and disintersect tools, I had no idea what those do but we shall soon find out ;)
Sorry about the map name, I put that there so that It would be easy to find in my UT Directory, I shall change it with the next revision.

D2Boss-Did you change your mapping website? I tried to look up the tutorial on volumes but can't load it. Your site is a great help and the only reason I didn't give up five minutes after starting up the editor. Thanks so much for it and your help.

Thanks again guys
Envy
Such is the form of my sin.
DW_Ant
DW Clan Member

Envy wrote:D2Boss-Did you change your mapping website? I tried to look up the tutorial on volumes but can't load it. Your site is a great help and the only reason I didn't give up five minutes after starting up the editor. Thanks so much for it and your help.
Well the site was built for a web competition (I'm such a scoundrel in taking advantage of free web hosting for a year ^.^)

The downfall of that is that the deadline came a bit early after my flash stick fried up. I was stuck with rebuilding everything in a span about 2-3 months I believe. I had to sacrifice several of my goodies (eye candy, functions, and documents) so now it ended up with missing tutorials :'(

Another downfall of the site is that I cannot update it after the deadline. So whatever I had back then...that's it.

One time, I did write the "draft" of the volumes tutorial. Let me see if I can dig it up from its grave and insert a new heart ;)

::Looks back at the website:: I believe that this piece of junk will expire around June. I'll have find a new location to post the tutorials soon :/

FFE466