ONS Floodgate XL RC2

Here's a specific forum for discussing potential maps, maps that need a vacation and optimizations and modifications for better playability.
DW_BrainPan
DW Clan Member

I've played it several times with a full or nearly full server. Personally, I haven't found any real issues with it, and most of the feed back has been positive. I think the boards and a bit more ammo should fill it out a bit.

In terms of the reduced action around the lower node path, this seems to be evening out over time. As I have played the map more the players are seeing that the lower middle node is easier to hold (due to its relative remoteness). Since they have realized this, a lot more action has been taking place along the lower route. The top center still gets alot of action because it's easy to reach on foot, but alot of the vehicle traffic has been heading to the lower middle node (e.g. teams have been bringing the tanks down). In time I think the lower route will become the preferred route of attack (if it hasn't already).

Oh, I think the map rotation is set at 18.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world. Those who read binary, and everyone else.
4013 is only a FAD
And 2989? Well that's just BAD
Sanch3z
Killer in Training

I've noticed people like to camp on top of the building that contains the core which I'm not a fan of since they are quite hard to hit up there. I can fix this issue no problem, just wondering if there is interest in an updated version of this map?

Any other suggestions?
Sanch3z
Killer in Training

hello? is anybody in here?
DW_Ant
DW Clan Member

Perhaps you don't know that I'm always up for some new or updated maps. I don't have any corrections in mind for the Floodgate.
The difference between successful people from others is
not in the lack of strength,
not in the lack of knowledge,
but rather in the lack of will.

FFE466

Xfire: KarmaKat

Heya!

Good to see you again, Sanchez! :D

I'm always happy to see tweaks that'll improve gameplay! Offhand, I don't recall any other obvious issues in Floodgate. If you want to block off that area above the cores, that'd be fine, but it's not a map breaker issue. :)

Have you been working on porting any other UT3 maps to 2k4? Or perhaps building an entirely new map? Hmmm? LOL!

KKat

:flower:
Karma...a term that comprises the entire cycle of cause & effect...
Kat...a supercilious quadrupedal pile of fur that doesn´t give a flying fig for Karma...
Sanch3z
Killer in Training

Hi Ant and Karma! Currently I am working on porting WAR-Downtown to UT2k4. I have 2 original maps that I have been tinkering with for awhile but those wont be ready anytime soon. Floodgate for 2k4 with a countdown node is in the works also and will probably be ready to test soon

Glad to hear you guys are interested in new ONS maps :cheers: There is a spot in ONS Downtown that I will put a DW ad, are there any updated DW logos since the last one I got from Karma?
DW_KarmaKat
Site Admin
Xfire: KarmaKat

Sanch3z wrote: Glad to hear you guys are interested in new ONS maps :cheers: There is a spot in ONS Downtown that I will put a DW ad, are there any updated DW logos since the last one I got from Karma?
I'm ecstatic to hear and see new ONS maps! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

I don't currently have any new logos...there's been lots of bigger issue stuff taking up time lately. I'll take a look around in my graphics folders...if I find anything suitable, I'll send it along. :srofl:

KKat

:flower:
Karma...a term that comprises the entire cycle of cause & effect...
Kat...a supercilious quadrupedal pile of fur that doesn´t give a flying fig for Karma...
Urtho
Camper

Don't know if this map is still in the tweaking stage given the last map-related post on this was months ago, but it still needs some gameplay changes. As it stands now it's a great looking map and technically sound for the most part with some rather serious issues that need fixing for it to work in 32p ONS gameplay.

1. EMP layer needs to go very very badly, and getting rid of the other EONS "stuff" as well wouldn't be the worst idea. At the very least it needs to be in a far out of the way area, and singly placed as a superweapon. Played it full up with 32p last night and one team got core locked, with no vehicles due to the emp, no nodes, and no chance. Good strategy on one side, I'm sure, but it should never happen in 32p ONS where a team is locked down completely. There should always be a chance for a turnaround.

2. Needs more vehicles in general. I read the thread that this is a port from UT3 and so didn't have flyers as UT3 gameplay was good. I don't know about that, but for UT2k4 this is a mistake. There should be at least 1 Raptor at the core and possibly a Cicada as well. You need fast movers for those distant nodes and more z-axis play in general is always a good thing. Another manta spawning somewhere, perhaps at some additional nodes (see below) is worth considering. Something like a Cicada at the core also is a poweful comeback tool that needs to be in place, as at the moment there isn't enough core firepower for a comeback in 32p gameplay.

3. On foot player movement needs some help. Add in the hoverboards as that may help for general map movement. Specifically, I wouldn't be opposed to a core to far-primary jumpad as well. Have it at max power and have a landing zone in the currently useless watery pond in front of the cores. All that does currently is slow down foot/ground movement, as if it needed slowing down. At the very least the water is a gameplay problem that needs to be reduced in size or removed altogether if the jumpad idea isn't workable.

4. Strongly consider some additional nodes, the 2-2-2 cross-linked centers Dawn setup is merely ok, more nodes means more paths and more chances for strategy and cutoffs/reversals. Currently there's a huge amount of deadspace in the primary 1R / primary 1B / Outer Center triangle, as well as the P1R / P2R / Outer Center triangle (mirrored). Large deadspaces with nothing but transit time is not a good idea.

5. Ammo/health is still too sparse, this is 32p ONS - there's a lot of stuff going on and players don't have infinite ammo to destroy those nodes that are mostly foot-only. A few additional health packs and weapons lockers need to be added. Remove the individual pickups and increase the loadouts from the lockers if channel count becomes an issue.

There are additional tweaks I can think of and may suggest later on, but these are the major points in need of addressing as it stands right now. Despite my critiques here, I actually enjoy playing this map as it stands right now. It has a great look to it and generally good gameplay so I hope it can get another pass in the editor from the mapper.
DW_Ant
DW Clan Member

Urtho wrote:1. EMP layer needs to go very very badly, and getting rid of the other EONS "stuff" as well wouldn't be the worst idea. At the very least it needs to be in a far out of the way area, and singly placed as a superweapon. Played it full up with 32p last night and one team got core locked, with no vehicles due to the emp, no nodes, and no chance. Good strategy on one side, I'm sure, but it should never happen in 32p ONS where a team is locked down completely. There should always be a chance for a turnaround.
I Second that! That has to go.
Urtho wrote:2. Needs more vehicles in general. I read the thread that this is a port from UT3 and so didn't have flyers as UT3 gameplay was good. I don't know about that, but for UT2k4 this is a mistake. There should be at least 1 Raptor at the core and possibly a Cicada as well. You need fast movers for those distant nodes and more z-axis play in general is always a good thing. Another manta spawning somewhere, perhaps at some additional nodes (see below) is worth considering. Something like a Cicada at the core also is a poweful comeback tool that needs to be in place, as at the moment there isn't enough core firepower for a comeback in 32p gameplay.
I'm a bit uncertain about the flying vehicles. They could get into cheap places (like on roof tops of Northern nodes). We were able to get up there using a manta, and it's pretty much a spot no one can kill you without bringing a manta of their own. As a result there are blocking volumes up there, but consequently, players could get easily annoyed when crashing their raptor onto an invisible wall.
Part of the problem with lack of vehicles is that they aren't really rideable. The scorpion drivers have a tendency to press the turbo button, the Hellbenders are difficult to jump on without a ledge, and the Goliath is slow. Hoverboards may not be a bad idea even though I find them a bit useless since the speed difference between hoverboards and dodge jumping is nearly insignificant.
The difference between successful people from others is
not in the lack of strength,
not in the lack of knowledge,
but rather in the lack of will.

FFE466

thanks for the feedback!

I am happy with the vehicle layout(with EONS vehicles) and have no plans on changing it. Infantry battles are the main focus of this map. No hoverboards or flying vehicles, sorry. Jump pads to get places faster would be ok and I will look into that.

I agree on the EMP. Its lame when the enemy team drops it in your core area. Good strat but lame. I would have no problem with removing it.

IMO there is no room for additional nodes, other than the 2 that have already been added, and this map is somewhat of a UT3 port, it is actually the best map in UT3. I dont want to change things that will change the gameplay too much. I do believe this map plays fairly well in UT2k4 as it is and disagree that not having flying vehicles is a mistake.

More health and ammo can be added.