ONS Floodgate XL RC2

Here's a specific forum for discussing potential maps, maps that need a vacation and optimizations and modifications for better playability.
DW_KarmaKat
Site Admin
Xfire: KarmaKat

RC2 is now up on Spam Vikings!

Had a handful of real peeps playing (was about 3:30am Central)...went quickly to Blue..mostly due to our lack of intelligent humans on Red! LOL! (I think Wail and I were the only ones awake..or maybe just Wail...I think I was sleep playing!)

KKat

:flower:
Karma...a term that comprises the entire cycle of cause & effect...
Kat...a supercilious quadrupedal pile of fur that doesn´t give a flying fig for Karma...
Skyline
1337 Haxor
Xfire: 40shards

Was there this morning, and I have to say I like it :thumbright:

Couple of thoughts:

- It may be pretty difficult to attack the cores with a high player count, since they're so well hidden in the heart of each base. Perhaps lift them out of the water a little so you don't have to be as precise attacking them. And maybe give the water a little electrical effect while you're at it :swink:

- Bots seem to get a bit confused in vehicles around 4 and 5, you might wanna check the pathing around there

Looking forward to trying out Avalanche
DW_WailofSuicide
DW Clan Member

Felt like I was running out of ammo all the time (although, to be fair, I was never reduced to AR at any point, though mostly because I suck at staying alive for long periods of time).
Sanch3z
Killer in Training

thanks KarmaKat for putting it on your server :thumbright: I had a game of it tonight and I think overall people liked it.

As for the core being hard to hit, thats how it is in the UT3 version. In past versions the cores were higher and others said the core was too easy to hit from a distance. After the map gets more play I will make adjustments as per feedback. This is something I will watch for.

Adjusting the ammo will also be done. And bot pathing around 4-5.

Thanks for the feedback :thumbright: an updated version of Avalanche will be ready this week sometime which should be ready for multiplayer.

The question now is what will I work on next? I dont think any more UT3 WAR maps(stock) are interesting enough to port. Whatever I do decide to make will have UT3 assets in it(static meshes, textures).
Skyline
1337 Haxor
Xfire: 40shards

Small hole in the terrain behind the rocks near 5 (and presumably 4 too), big enough to fall through though (I should know :blackeye: )
Last edited by Skyline on Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sanch3z
Killer in Training

thanks 40 Shards, dammit I thought I had caught all of the bugs. I guess there will be another RC soon and I will go over all of the terrain I tried to hide again. I decided to put hoverboards in also so there will be 2-3 of them at each node.

*Weapon locker ammo will also be increased.

*I'm going to remove the blocking volumes from above the upper primary nodes and Floodgate node so you can fly over them. There will be pain causing volumes over them instead so a player cant camp on top of them.
joeblow
1337 Haxor

Night crew played it and got very positive reviews. SOme issues with low FPS on older computers Tweakish said his was very low. I had good FPS but the middle nodes there something that halfs your FPS just at certain angles.

I have a AMD Quad core /ATI 4650 card but it has issues with some maps like a slow down at the core in Dreamus.

wp
joblow@bellsouth.net game contact email.
Sanch3z
Killer in Training

hi joeblow, thanks for the feedback. I dont think there is much that can be done for the fps drops. Its a remake of a map from UT3 which has very different methods of occlusion (hiding parts of the map from view when they are unnecessary to render). The only way I know of currently to stop the fps drops would be to remove ALOT of the detail from the map. This would result in a very bland playing atmosphere.
DW_WailofSuicide
DW Clan Member

Actually did get a chance to play this with a completely full server the other day.

Ammo: It's kind of sparse and I would prefer a couple more shots with most of the weapons, but overall I tend to die a lot so I wasn't really desperate for ammo at any point. Nudge it up there and we're good.

Health is pretty sparse for 32p. I wouldn't mind seeing some more spread throughout the map, but that's a bit of a personal preference. As it is, it's pretty easy for just one person to gobble up all the health pickups, much less the other 15 people on his team / 31 players on the map.

There were a couple of people in the game commenting to the effect of, "Where are all the vehicles?" or "Action is too sparse outside."
I pretty much always play on foot so I don't necessarily agree with the sentiment that there need to be more vehicles, but going around the bottom node path did seem sparsely populated most of the time (while there was a ton of action at the Floodgate node).

Couple of options I see here:
1. The simplest one I think is just to link the two interior primaries to the lower center node, and link the exterior primaries to the upper center (Floodgate) node. Because node traffic is flowing across each other in the open, I think you would see action a bit more spread out as it is in UT3.
2. Hoverboards at the exterior primes. Facilitate people getting around out there and it'll encourage use of that portion of the map more.
Sanch3z
Killer in Training

thanks Wail... Actually almost everything you mentioned above has been adjusted in the next and unreleased version (RC3):

* hoverboards at all nodes.
* more ammo for most weapons in weapon lockers.

About the node link and flow of map: The node link you are suggesting sounds very much like the extra "Cross" node link setup that is in version RC2, The same version on Spam Vikings. But I dont see additional node link setups available to vote on for any maps on the server.

I'm not dead set on keeping the current default node link setup as the main one and I was kind of waiting to see which of the 2 included in the map people thought played best.

If its a Spam Vikings policy that alt node link setups arent loaded on the server I can make the "Cross" setup the default for RC3 version so it can be tried out.

I have a question: How long is the wait until you can vote for a map again on Spam Vikings after it has been played? It seems everytime I am playing on the server that Floodgate and Avalanche are greyed out and unavailable for vote? Sometimes I have played for 3-4 hours and havent been able to see how either map actually plays with real people. Maybe its just unlucky timing on my part :sangry: