ONS- Downtown XL 2012 Final version [download available]

Here's a specific forum for discussing potential maps, maps that need a vacation and optimizations and modifications for better playability.
Sanch3z2012
Killer in Training

thanks Wail, I will look in to and fix those issues :)

I am having issues with the radar map. Adding the texture would be no problem its the centering and size of the node links are giving me issues. No matter what inputs I have set it just doesnt seem to look right. I spent a bit of time trying to fix it, I guess I will have to dig around for a better solution.
Sanch3z2012
Killer in Training

got the radar map sorted out but it required moving the whole map around on the editor grid so now I have to check everything to make sure nothing got screwed up.

I checked node 8 and the Paladin is facing the right way. There are only 2 Paladins in the map and I checked both which were facing the proper direction. Is it possible a bot might have turned it around? I will check again since I have to double check everything anyways.

Release Candidate 1 should be ready in a week or so.
DW_WailofSuicide
DW Clan Member

Sanch3z2012 wrote:got the radar map sorted out but it required moving the whole map around on the editor grid so now I have to check everything to make sure nothing got screwed up.

I checked node 8 and the Paladin is facing the right way. There are only 2 Paladins in the map and I checked both which were facing the proper direction. Is it possible a bot might have turned it around? I will check again since I have to double check everything anyways.

Release Candidate 1 should be ready in a week or so.

Yeah, I'm not sure what the reversed Paladin was about. It's entirely possible it was just a bot. The other thing to pay attention to is that vehicle factories have a setting called (IIRC) Reverse Direction for Other Team, or something like that. It's possible that was checked, since during our playtest the node where that Paladin had spawned was contested. If it's not that, then I suspect it must've just been bot snafu.
Sanch3z2012
Killer in Training

thanks for the info Wail.. I've been bogged down at work lately so I havent had time to work on this map, its still coming though :)
Sanch3z2012
Killer in Training

final version available in first post :)
DW_WailofSuicide
DW Clan Member

Here are a couple of thoughts on our second playtest with the level -- Overall seems great, but there are still some botpathing issues. Notably, the bots really don't know how to drive the Paladins out of the nodes (across from either team's core) and they sometimes get caught up in specific spots (There is one spot along either road with a concrete barricade + ramp combination, and also along the routes that pass under the elevated roads).

Since this map plays great except for these minor botpathing issues, I might suggest just blocking off the botpathing to these specific areas (just go into the navigation points and prohibit connections from nearby points into pathnodes on these routes). Having bots unable to use a Paladin isn't going to hurt anything. And if they don't take the underpass routes ... There's still the overpass routes and the routes through the center. I think that's plenty sufficient for bots.
Sanch3z2012
Killer in Training

thanks. If you would like me to make some fixes to the bot pathing I could do it, no problem otherwise I wasnt totally focusing on the bot play. I've seen bots doing completely odd things in this map so I'm not sure I would be able to fix all of the weird things they do.

If you think it would benefit the server, maybe when there arent enough players and bots are added, I will fix it. Lemme know.
Galahad
Killer in Training

This has been suggested before, and was discussed among a couple regulars playing last Saturday morning. Poor bot pathing is a problem on this server, not just this map, because THE MINIMUM PLAYER COUNT IS TOO HIGH!!! There are several maps that get voted in all the time and the bot pathing sucks. Some of the maps are ok, but they were developed when servers were more populated, so not much attention was given to the pathing.

On another note... I played Painted Desert I think it was called last weekend. Is that a new map or just new to me? I thought that was really a great looking map / environment!