ONS- Downtown XL 2012 Final version [download available]

Here's a specific forum for discussing potential maps, maps that need a vacation and optimizations and modifications for better playability.
Sanch3z2012
Killer in Training

ONS Downtown XL Final
* map file labeled as RC1

Description: WAR Downtown from UT3 ported to UT2k4 and adjusted for 32player ONS. Entire map has been duplicated, both symmetric pieces placed next to each other, and connected for double the nodes and play area. Like so (link setup may change):

Final changelist:

* added minimap taxture
* double checked most every aspect of the map since beta3

Credits: Crusha K Rool, Wail Of Suicide, Death Warrant. Titan Onslaught.Sanch3z. Did I miss anyone?

DOWNLOAD: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?g7510zb9e98ihov

Last edited by Sanch3z2012 on Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:08 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Sanch3z2012
Killer in Training

reserved for screenshots.
joeblow
1337 Haxor

Ill start the DL process!

wp
joblow@bellsouth.net game contact email.
joeblow
1337 Haxor

Sorry I got it but I dont have a .rar program atm.

wp
joblow@bellsouth.net game contact email.
-goose-
Camper

You should be able to use 7zip.

http://www.7-zip.org/
Sanch3z2012
Killer in Training

managed to slash 20mb off the map filesize, so far.. Also improved FPS slightly.
Sanch3z2012
Killer in Training

new version up for download in first post. Too many tweaks to list :)
Sanch3z2012
Killer in Training

anyone have any suggestions on what might be a good node link setup? I think in the next beta I may put this setup in which I think might be better balanced:

other things I have planned:

add node teleporters at cores
fix a few bot pathing issues

other than that I am open to game play adjustments. The map is playable and bug free(as far as I know) and only needs minor tweaks to make combat better. Maybe one more beta version and then final.
DW_WailofSuicide
DW Clan Member

Took a run around in it earlier, looks good. Some things I felt could've been improved:

The side roads at mid-map: These are going to be big choke points in the map, and I feel like it's probably too easy to pin them down because they're big long corridors. I suggest that add a bit of incline to the road approaching the mid point, so that they form modest hills and prevent spamming straight down the map with tanks.

The mid-point connector area: That wall there separating the two halves of the map is really thin... I think it's too thin honestly, but you can probably have it work if you replace the brick wall with a glass pane (with an advertisement on it).

Some further suggestions: If this were my map I might do a couple more things to it.

1. Vehicle blocking posts (/ vehicle blocking volumes) in the center connecting area. Really don't think we want vehicles getting in there.

2. I feel like those side roads at the halfway point of the map are big choke points, not only for vehicles but also for footsoldiers who are going to have to contend with vehicles passing through there, Hellbender and Goliath/Paladin spam trying to lock down that area.

What I would probably do if it were my map is make use of those catwalks that overlook the plaza-nodes. Open up one of the garage-doors on the ground level, add a staircase that allows footsoldiers to walk up to the upper part, and extend the upper catwalk through the middle of the map by cutting a passage through the buildings there.

Second part (May be unnecessary): Near the Chicken-Brothers Signs, I would add a door and make a corridor that connects to the middle of the map. If not actually create this connection, then at the very least put a decorative door there.
Additionally: Near the Chicken-Brothers signs, you can use the jumpboots and the vehicle ramps to jump up onto the upper ledge of that building. I'm not sure if this is intentional or not but I can see it being annoying having someone sitting up there.

Are you planning on adding any flying vehicles (Raptor/Cicada) to this map? I think it'd be pretty cool, although only a couple points are really viable to attack from the air, so I'm not sure.
Sanch3z2012
Killer in Training

thanks for the feedback Wail :thumbright:

* I will make some adjustments to the Chicken Brothers areas. Catwalks might work well. I agree that it is easy to spam fire down the long roads. I've only played the map vs bots and many times they are in mantas just shooting down the long roads before I can even see them through the fog.

* adding flying vehicles would be quite a bit of work to put blocking volumes everywhere and close up everything from the top. Also not sure how the map would perform with flying vehicles. They can see more from the air. I am already using alot of culling for performance reasons.

* will add bollards to block vehicles from passage at very center of map.

---------------------